Talk

Advanced search

Another shortlist

(35 Posts)
deptfordgirl Mon 20-Nov-17 11:41:30

Okay so after consulting you guys we now have current favourites of:

Esther/Tess - if Esther would be known as Tess most of the time.
Harriet
Tabitha

Caleb
Edward

Ds1 has a biblical name outside of top 100 - fairly unusual but not made up!

IVflytrap Mon 20-Nov-17 12:13:02

I think they all lovely. smile I have a slight preference for Esther nn Tess and Edward. Caleb has a nice sound to me, too though.

ChocolateCrunch Mon 20-Nov-17 12:16:23

Tabitha or Caleb!

WishICouldThinkOfSomethinWitty Mon 20-Nov-17 12:17:24

I love Harriet and also Caleb is such a nice, strong, classic yet unusual name.

Shen0102 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:17:35

I prefer Harriet & Edward...they sound posh & reserved.

autumngold6 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:17:48

Esther and Caleb

dramallamakarma Mon 20-Nov-17 12:20:51

Esther / Caleb vote here too

WhatKatyDidNotDo Mon 20-Nov-17 12:24:23

Esther/Tess or Tabitha for me.
Hate Harriet.

Caleb for me.

Middlenamehelp20 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:31:29

Esther or Harriet and Edward get my vote! All beautiful names.

Littlehouseonthepraririe Mon 20-Nov-17 12:49:50

Harriet and Edward from me, love them both. Abso. Loath Caleb ! Sorry

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 20-Nov-17 12:52:46

Tabitha and Caleb

TatianaLarina Mon 20-Nov-17 13:21:28

If you like Tess then why not call her Tessa?

You can’t control what she will be known as ‘most of the time’, only what she’s called at home. An Esther will be known as Esther at school and her friends will determine the nickname not you, so it might be Essie or similar.

Tess isn’t a usual diminutive for Esther - so friends/school won’t think of it. If you want to school to use Tess, you will have to give her name as Tess.

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 20-Nov-17 13:21:38

Tabitha or Esther/Tess
Edward

Love them!

deptfordgirl Mon 20-Nov-17 13:41:39

Thanks guys.

tatiana I don't like Tessa so wouldn't use this. I just meant I would put Esther on the birth certificate but call her Tess and introduce her as such. If she wanted to use Esther later she would be perfectly welcome to and also I wouldn't care if she had a different nn. For example, my friend has an Olivia but she is always known as Liv, even introduced as such in her birth announcement. She may well change her mind when she's older but as she's only 2 she is always called Liv.

CPtart Mon 20-Nov-17 14:33:01

Esther in its entirety, Tess is a dog's name to me and sounds incomplete.
Edward by a mile.

onlyonaTuesday Mon 20-Nov-17 14:40:57

I love all of them but would go with Esther and Caleb .
I love a Biblical name !

Ca55andraMortmain Mon 20-Nov-17 14:46:51

I don't think it's true that she would be known as Esther at school. I'm a teacher and if a parent enrolled their child saying 'this is Tess' and filled in Tess in the 'known as' section of the form then we wouldnt call her Esther. Fwiw op I love both Esther and Tess.

starkid Mon 20-Nov-17 15:44:16

I like Harriet and Edward smile although not keen on the nickname Ted which sometimes comes with Edward

TatianaLarina Mon 20-Nov-17 19:33:31

There was a thread on exactly this on another forum which tallies with experience of my friends. A mother was complaining that the school call the child her real name not ‘known as’. She was advised just change the given name to the known as name.

This isn’t just an issue in school but doctors, dentists all official correspondence.

deptfordgirl Mon 20-Nov-17 19:37:16

As I said I wouldn't mind that. I just have an irrational dislike of giving nicknames as full names. Although with Tess I might be persuaded.

daisypond Mon 20-Nov-17 19:47:17

Esther by miles. Then Tabitha. And Harriet is a long way behind...dropped off the end.
I like both the boys' names, but they are quite different from each other. Would Caleb fit better with your DS's name?

Prettyprettygood Mon 20-Nov-17 19:49:15

I don’t like Tess - makes me think of testicles.

I like Tabitha and Edward best

TatianaLarina Mon 20-Nov-17 20:02:21

Yes I know that was a reply to the teacher.

SuperBeagle Mon 20-Nov-17 22:21:03

Tabitha and Edward.

A contractor at my work recently called one of his children Esther. After he left, several of my employees made a comment about how awful the name was. We're not in the UK, so possibly it's "en vogue" in the UK, but that has stuck with me!

MikeUniformMike Mon 20-Nov-17 22:22:46

I like Esther and Tess. I like Caleb and Edward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now