Advanced search

Sibling for Alice - Max / Miles, Penelope / Annabel??

(20 Posts)
babyonboard22 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:09:05

Hi, I'm due in less than a week and my husband and I are struggling to settle on names.
We don't know what we are having which makes it twice as challenging!

This is my first ever post - so far these threads have been a brilliant source of inspiration so I'm hoping you can help us make a final decision smile

Our daughter is Alice. We love the more classic names, but ideally not something in the top 10.

So far, the few names we have on our shortlist are:
- Max (not sure about any of the longer versions though - don't like Maxwell or Maximilian, so do you just go Max?)
- Miles (not keen on nn Milo but like Miles)
- William (family name but a close friend had a baby William a few weeks ago)
- Benjamin (nn Ben. Our last name starts with B, so we like the alliteration)

- Annabel (but don't like nn Anna, or Annie, maybe Bella though. but would prefer it to just be Annabel - again works well with last name B?)
- Penelope (nn Penny)
- Philippa (nn Pippa)

Would love to hear your views on any of the above, or other suggestions along the same theme!

Thank you so much

AnyaMoondial Tue 14-Nov-17 21:15:12

I really like Philippa and Benjamin smile

PandaCat Tue 14-Nov-17 21:31:46

I have an Alice too, we're having another girl. From your list I like Penelope and Benjamin the best.

BubblesBuddy Tue 14-Nov-17 21:41:52

All good solid middle class names. No room for a Jayden in there??? Or a Kayleigh?? Only joking. I like slightly more unusual names and I loved trawling through baby name books. I let DH loose on a middle name for DD, but now aged 25, she doesn’t like that name. She’s right. It’s lacking imagination and isn’t her at all. Oh well - too late now!

babyonboard22 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:50:15

haha bubblesbuddy! Yes middle class names is no doubt where we'll end up smile
Other options by my DH include Harriet and Edward.. but I've vetoed both. I like Hugo, but he vetoed it - Kayleigh also didn't make the shortlist: )

Pandacat - great taste smile Have you decided on a name for your second DD yet?

Joeybee Tue 14-Nov-17 22:23:32

- Max I think you should go with Maxwell or Maximilian on the birth cert, but call him Max all the time. That's what the Max's I know have had.
- Miles Like this name, like the Myles spelling too, and that might not be as easy to get the Milo nn from.
- William LOVE this name, but it's popularity rules it out for me. Personally I'd struggle with a name that a close friend/relative has also used.
- Benjamin LOVE this name too. Can't use it as one of my Nephews is a Ben. This name totally stands the test of time.

- Annabel Think it works fine with a last name beginning with B. I do think that people would automatically shorted it to Anna though despite if you nn her Bella.
- Penelope YES! Love Penelope, so happy it seems to be gaining in popularity.
- Philippa (nn Pippa) A bit dated, but a nice name, and the nn Pippa is fab.

TheTroutofNoCraic Tue 14-Nov-17 22:27:21

I came on here to say Harriet blush

bb86 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:27:21

I vote Benjamin, Penelope, or Philippa!
I have a Benjamin, and I love the name! (He often goes by Benji)
And we are considering Philippa “Pippa” for our third! So, definitely another favourite smile

ChocolateCrunch Wed 15-Nov-17 07:43:55

From your list, I like Benjamin and Annabel

PandaCat Wed 15-Nov-17 07:56:35

We have decided. She will be Evelyn, will probably be called by a nickname day to day! DD1 loves Evie.

FizzyGreenWater Wed 15-Nov-17 10:32:39

Benjamin is the best by a mile. Like the alliteration.

Annabel with a B surname not so good, bit of a tongue twister possibly?

My favourite is Penelope.

Can't stand Philippa or Pippa, just sounds a bit prissy and dated.

Have you considered Josephine? - Posy, Josie for short? That seems to me in the same classic but not too cutesy vein as Alice.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 15-Nov-17 10:52:41

Phillipa and Benjamin.

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 15-Nov-17 13:07:20

Max - Max is fine as a stand alone name though I don't love it. Have you considered Maxim?
- Miles - I strongly dislike it
William - there are alot of William's about but it's a lovely name. Alive and William do sound very good together
- Benjamin - lovely name. I prefer Benji to Ben

- Annabel - I like just Annabel. Lovely name (plus best spelling) sounds nice with Alice
- Penelope (nn Penny) - not a fan
- Philippa (nn Pippa) - gorgeous name

LovelyBranches Wed 15-Nov-17 20:30:25

Evelyn Penelope is really beautiful.

I like Louis for a boy and Alice goes really nicely with it.

babyonboard22 Thu 16-Nov-17 09:59:56

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.
It sounds like Benjamin is a clear favourite with most of you..
I particularly liked Miles, but mixed responses on here which is interesting!

We will probably end up deciding on the day baby arrives - not long to wait now, only a few more days hopefully smile

Glumglowworm Thu 16-Nov-17 10:46:51

Benjamin and Penelope

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 16-Nov-17 10:52:28

I have a Max - didn't like Maxwell or Maximillian so he just Max. It is definitely a name in its own right and does not need a "birth certificate"/"work" version in the way that eg. Ed or Tom might.

I would probably go with Penelope or Philippa/Pippa as I am not sure Alice and Annabel sound right together. Also sorts out the Miss A B-surname problem when letters arrive when they are older.

CandyMelts Thu 16-Nov-17 10:57:55

You have the exact taste in names as me smile I'd probably go with Miles or Pippa.

Some others I like:

JoieDeFuckingVivre Thu 16-Nov-17 20:45:30

Alice and..

Alice and...

Blondie87 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:07:49

LOVE Miles and Penelope

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now