Talk

Advanced search

Alastair and Alasdair

(25 Posts)
17caterpillars1mouse Sun 12-Nov-17 13:49:10

What are your thoughts on Alastair and Alasdair? Too dated? Which do you prefer?

MsMarvel Sun 12-Nov-17 13:50:17

I like them. But in scotland its still a very common name so it all depends on where you are I think.

Prefer Alistair

stevensupersquirrel Sun 12-Nov-17 13:52:05

Our boys name is Alistair. Love it.

FizzyFeet Sun 12-Nov-17 13:57:09

I like it! Not dated at all. Prefer to 't' spelling.

FizzyFeet Sun 12-Nov-17 13:57:24

*the

Standardpubquizname Sun 12-Nov-17 14:11:19

I prefer Alistair/Alastair to Alasdair

TheCatsPaws Sun 12-Nov-17 14:19:12

I like it! I don’t think it’s dated, it’s a classic name.

Ttbb Sun 12-Nov-17 14:19:59

Alastair is fine, slosdair not so much.

Standardpubquizname Sun 12-Nov-17 14:20:03

meant to add they're both great names

squoosh Sun 12-Nov-17 14:25:19

Bear in mind there are more spelling variations than Alastair and Alasdair. At one point I worked with an Alistair, an Alastair, an Alasdair, and an Alasdhair.

BernardBlacksHangover Sun 12-Nov-17 14:39:30

I don’t like it very much. I think my view has been tainted though, by a very creepy little boy I knew when I was about 11. Never stopped showing people his willy.

It also reminds me of the word cauliflower and I have no idea why confused!

That said, it’s easy to spell and recognisable as a name without being overly used. Alistair Brownlie (sp?) is a cool namesake too.

That said, it’s pretty classic

SumAndSubstance Sun 12-Nov-17 14:56:04

I like it. I prefer Alasdair, but I would imagine the 't' is the more common spelling and he might end up correcting it a lot.

DinoMania Sun 12-Nov-17 15:31:18

Love Alastair as a name. Got a great uncle with the name Alistair (similar in spelling), he's a lovely guy.
As a PP said it's a classic name 👍

EssentialHummus Sun 12-Nov-17 15:34:06

I love it, either spelling!

TillyTheTiger Sun 12-Nov-17 15:42:56

I love the name and it was top of my list until I reluctantly demoted it due to the spelling issue (our surname often has to be spelled out too).
Alastair is definitely my preferred spelling, but I think the most common way to spell it in England is Alistair, although as PP have said, there are lots of alternatives

FairyDust855 Sun 12-Nov-17 16:12:35

Alastair definitely.

Never heard of Alasdair before, and in my head I pronounce it Alas-dare with a lot of emphasis on the 'dare' and it doesn't sound nice

FairfaxAikman Sun 12-Nov-17 16:20:42

Alasdair is my top boys name. With the D is the correct Gaelic spelling.

pipilangstrumpf Sun 12-Nov-17 16:49:02

The spelling is so confusing... is it Alistair, Alisdair, Alasdar, Alastair..? I never know and it must be a pain to constantly spell it out.

FairfaxAikman Sun 12-Nov-17 17:25:00

Pipe it should be Alasdair, but it’s been anglicised to Alistair etc.**

DaisyFranceLynch Sun 12-Nov-17 18:05:40

I love it and it was on my boys name longlist - but I’ve worked with an Alistair, an Allister and an Alisdair (the latter two at the same time) and have a friend called Alister, so keep getting confused over the spellings.

CbeebiesAddict Sun 12-Nov-17 18:30:32

Love it, I have an Alastair and I think it's a great name as everyone knows it but you don't get loads of them in one class smile

SuperBeagle Sun 12-Nov-17 20:18:34

Love Alastair.

Prefer this spelling to Alistair.

florascotianew Sun 12-Nov-17 20:41:15

I've said this before - though in connection with a different name - so please excuse me for repetition. I feel fairly strongly that if you are going to use a name from a different language or culture, then it is only respectful to use the 'standard' spelling in that culture.

Alasdair is the Scottish Gaelic version of Alexander. As a previous poster has said, the usual Gaelic spelling is Alasdair. The 'd' reflects western Scottish Gaelic pronunciation, where a 'd' and a 't' can sound similar.

Kazzawazza69 Sun 12-Nov-17 20:46:32

I have known 2 and both have been horrible people so it taints my view but I also don’t think it’s a nice sounding name personally. Alasdair doesn’t look right to me so I prefer the Alistair spelling. Be aware that it will likely get shortened to Ali.

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 12-Nov-17 23:30:32

Love both of them, but prefer Alasdair spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now