Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trixie as nickname?

(27 Posts)
LinaBo Sat 11-Nov-17 22:23:28

Knowledgeable people of MN, not sure this is the right place to ask but here it goes: does Trixie work as a nn for Patricia?

NC4now Sat 11-Nov-17 22:24:31

I suppose it could. Tricia is more usual but a bit dated.

Joinourclub Sat 11-Nov-17 22:28:09

I would think someone with that nickname is called Beatrix. Is the Patricia to honour somebody, but you don't really like the name?

LinaBo Sat 11-Nov-17 22:33:00

I quite like Patricia, but the owner of the name doesn't grin - it's a middle name though, after late MIL. She's got a popular first name and doesn't like any of the nicknames for it, but really likes Trixie (I suspect because of My Little Pony connections), so we were wondering if people would think it's weird.

Fekko Sat 11-Nov-17 22:34:47

Makes me think of golum.

soupforbrains Sat 11-Nov-17 22:40:35

I love love LOVE Trixie as a nickname, but I’ve never heard it as a nickname for Patricia.

Patricia is a family name so have many cousins aunts etc. But none known as Trixie.

It is commonly a short form for Beatrix, but also for Beatrice. And occasionally for the rather unusual name of Trixibelle.

HTH

LinaBo Sat 11-Nov-17 22:43:54

Fekko grin

soup, thank you, very helpful. MIL was Pat but DD is not keen.

soupforbrains Sat 11-Nov-17 23:02:11

I’ve also just finally understood the point of this thread.

The Patricia’s in our family are variously known as Pat, Pattie, Tricia, Trish and some peculiar things like bunty, nix, and potty.

NC4now Sat 11-Nov-17 23:03:39

Patsy is nice too.

soupforbrains Sat 11-Nov-17 23:08:30

Oh yes NC good catch missed that off my list, one of my cousins is Patsy

(I should point out I have an enormous family and thanks to traditional naming ‘rules’ we have far too many of certain names [patricia being one])

LinaBo Sat 11-Nov-17 23:32:51

soup, I was going to explain in the OP but it was very long for such a simple question at the end - I'm a waffler - so I went straight to the point. But the long version is we're moving and in DD's new class there's another child with her name so we were discussing alternatives in case she doesn't want to be PopularName Surname - though she says she doesn't mind, because she really loves her first name.

I'll pass all the suggestions to her and see if she likes any. Thank you!

SuperBeagle Sun 12-Nov-17 00:02:42

No, it doesn't work for Patricia.

Tricia, Trish, Patsy and Patty are the typical shortenings of Patricia.

Trixie, I would assume, is short for Beatrix.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 12-Nov-17 08:50:04

Agree with @SuperBeagle.

Loveisthelaw Sun 12-Nov-17 08:54:12

I definitely think it can work.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Nov-17 09:01:16

Hang on.... this is completely theoretical if your dd has already said she doesn’t mind being PopularFirstname Surname in her new class.

DS’s class has 3 boys with the same name. Known as JP, John M and John R. My sister’s form had 3 Zoe Hs!

bridgetreilly Sun 12-Nov-17 10:17:12

Trixie is perfectly fine. Nicknames don't have to have much of anything in common with the actual name.

daisypond Sun 12-Nov-17 11:29:34

Trixie is completely fine as a short form for Patricia. I know a Trixie whose name is short for Theresa.

LinaBo Sun 12-Nov-17 13:06:04

BikeRunSki, that's true - I am sure I am overthinking this. I just thought she might change her mind at some point and we were talking about alternatives. I'm definitely not picking one for her, it's up to her to do whatever she prefers.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, much appreciated. smile

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sun 12-Nov-17 13:21:51

Patricia was the first thing I thought of. All the Beatrice/Beatrixes I know are Bea.

RavenWings Sun 12-Nov-17 13:51:13

Yes, it works imo. I see it more as a name for a Chihuahua than a human though, but if she doesn't like Trixie herself she can always swap it for something else.

DullAndOld Sun 12-Nov-17 13:53:28

yes i have heard it used as a nn for Patricia, in Austria. I quite like it.

Usernamegone Mon 13-Nov-17 17:44:09

I love the non Trixie! However, I thought this was a non for Beatrix/Beatrice. This would be my top name but DH vetoed it sad

nooka Mon 13-Nov-17 17:58:43

I can see how Trixie could evolve as a nickname for Patricia (Trisha to Trixie) but as Patricia is this child's middle name it's a bit of a leap.

EleanorXx Mon 13-Nov-17 21:24:43

Reminds me of the drag queen

Smeaton Mon 13-Nov-17 21:27:57

I like it and if DD likes it then she should go with it and screw what anyone else thinks.

The great and powerful Trixie has a nice ring to it.
Tbf, if someone wanted the NickName Pinkie Pie I'd tell them to gomfor it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now