Talk

Advanced search

I think we might have decided on names...

(91 Posts)
MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:04:05

Ok mainly because I don’t want to put this anywhere else...! But I THINK we may have decided on names for baby 2. We have a Rupert nn Roo as our first DS. Won’t find out ace of this one. We have been really struggling woth girls names as have really particular taste and hate most names! But this evening think we have found one! Nicknames are important to us so we have been deliberating a lot as most girl nicknames are yuck imo:

Frederick nn Freddy (not likely ever be Frederick except birth certificate)

Imogen nn Midge (unlike above, only likely to be Midge in conversation and not in writing eg signing birthday cards etc)

Phew. Thought we’d be stuck for a girl name!

wobblywonderwoman Sat 11-Nov-17 21:05:09

They are lovely op. Best of luck

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:06:38

Thanks wobbly grin gosh I feel relieved. I really do hate girl names 😂

AdalindSchade Sat 11-Nov-17 21:07:02

Imogen is nice but why midge?

tralaaa Sat 11-Nov-17 21:08:27

I do t understand this nick name carry on
I like Imogen but not midge, it’s seems forced rather than fluid

calamityjam Sat 11-Nov-17 21:08:49

Both Imogens I know get called Modge. One is 8 and the other 20.

Itchytights Sat 11-Nov-17 21:10:05

Like Rupert nn Roo, just not sure on Imogen nn Midge.

Personally I think it's too close to minge.

That's what I thought of straight away when I read your op.

Maybe it's just me but that would not work for me based on that.

Elkilil Sat 11-Nov-17 21:10:22

Imogen I know gets called Imi

pret Sat 11-Nov-17 21:11:31

Midge? Like those annoying flit things that bite and irritate the fuck out of you?

Imogen is a nice name, the ones I know are either Modge, Imo or Genie.

anothernetter Sat 11-Nov-17 21:12:35

Love both those names

AdaColeman Sat 11-Nov-17 21:13:13

Imogen is so lovely, but not Midge, the Imogen I know is Immy for short, though usually gets her full name.

holidayqueriwifi Sat 11-Nov-17 21:13:29

Midge is horrid.
Not a fan of Imogen anyway. I know one called Imo.

Standardpubquizname Sat 11-Nov-17 21:14:41

Rupert and Freddie sound great together. Not sure that a teenage Imogen would like to be called Midge though, Imo or Immy are much nicer imo, but I guess she'll soon let you know if she doesn't approve. I've insisted fairly successfully since I was a toddler that my name should under no circumstances be shortened wink

lolalotta Sat 11-Nov-17 21:15:35

Not keen on Midge at all! Agree with PP, too close to minge.

AmysTiara Sat 11-Nov-17 21:17:16

I also thought minge blush

Imogen is nice but not midge

sooperdooper Sat 11-Nov-17 21:19:12

Imogen is lovely but you can't force a nn - I mean you can call her they but she'll have her own opinion on what friends call her so if you're pushing that because you really dislike other nn for Imogen then just accept it's out of your hands

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:19:17

I can’t stand Imo or Immy. We really like Midge because a) suits a younger sibling. B) if girl is small then it would be cute c) if girl is tall it would be ironic. In any case, she would most likely be called Imogen 90% of the time but we wanted to have decided on a nn to use as hate both Imo and Immy!

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:19:54

Don’t think it sounds anything like minge...

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:23:11

standard I too have a name that has many shortening but as I hate them all have always insisted on my full name too!

As I said in my op, nn for Imogen would only be in conversation anyhow, more like term of endearment if you will, than a proper nickname or name to otherwise by known as like Freddy

Asiaticlily Sat 11-Nov-17 21:23:26

With Midge/Imo/Immy it might be worth bearing in mind that once she would be at school any nicknames would be out of your hands.

I have a sibling that has one nickname at home and another for work/friends and it’s not one we would have chosen and is a more obvious nickname for her full name.

Just something to think about if you really don’t like it. smile

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:24:52

Thanks asiatic yes I think the nn business was more what we would call the them other than full name. Fully appreciate children get all sorts of nn at school! Some go by surnames for instance!

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:25:31

In fact my DH has a nn at home (by his siblings/parents) that isn’t used by anyone else

MotherOfBoy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:25:55

And is quite akin to Midge in many ways (sorry pressed send too soon on last post)

IggyAce Sat 11-Nov-17 21:26:03

My DD is Imogen, we used to call her Imi but requested we didn't. Her friends call her idgy or Iggy of the two I prefer Iggy.

Mallowmarshmallow Sat 11-Nov-17 21:27:31

I don’t understand the defining of a nickname thing. At school, children and their peers will choose their own nicknames. The nickname for Imogen will almost definitely be Immy so if you hate that I probably wouldn’t give a name that lends itself to a nickname you hate.

I had a friend goring up whose mother was adamant her Victoria would never be shortened and, of course, it always was and you could see her it grating against her every time she heard her called Vicky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now