Talk

Advanced search

Loving the slightly boyish nicknames for girls!

(19 Posts)
SamoyedSam Wed 08-Nov-17 12:48:02

So honestly?.... this post IS on the back of (and inspired by) a 'Thea' being called 'Teddy', which I really do LOVE, so that probs makes this a TAAT ( bear anyone?).

But in the spirit of the former, I know a lovely lady with a beautiful girl called Leontine. I'd never heard the name before but it is a 'known' name (https://nameberry.com/babyname/Leontine). For her nickname, the tot is called Leon, which I think is lovely for a girlie in much the same way as Teddy is grin.

As you were.....wink

Eleast Wed 08-Nov-17 12:50:08

I always loved Gilmore girls and how the daughter Lorelai was known as Rory. It shouldn’t work for a girl but always did

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 08-Nov-17 13:08:39

I've always liked Leonora nn Leo and Maxine nn Max

Roberts nn Bobbi so quite cute too

And Samantha nn Sammy

I like them as long as their is a longer name

Theodora nn Teddy is quite a well known one

rackhampearl Wed 08-Nov-17 13:15:40

My DD is named Andie but it isn't short for anything. It's Andie with Rosa as a middle. We always get people saying how much she suits it but we obviously also get people judging it and what it will look like in the future on her CV ect, it really doesn't bother us as I believe if she has the qualifications and the ambition she'll do well regardless.

Crunchymum Wed 08-Nov-17 13:55:16

Love Stevie (as a shortening of Stephanie)

BabloHoney Wed 08-Nov-17 14:17:51

I used to work with a girl called Mattie, short for Matilda, always liked that!

autumnkate Wed 08-Nov-17 16:18:06

As the owner of a girl Teddy I was really surprised by the negative comments on that thread- I love it!

autumnkate Wed 08-Nov-17 16:18:38

Love Mattie, the little girl in True Grit was called Mattie and she was awesome

ReinettePompadour Wed 08-Nov-17 16:22:35

I know a Matilda who's known as Mattie and a Rachel who's known as Ray.

I like Mattie, not so keen on Ray though.

nothappy12 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:23:57

Love Mattie too. Also Harri for Harriett.

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Wed 08-Nov-17 16:24:02

I have a DD who is nearly two - we use nn Bobby at home but not sure how it will stick at school. I think like PP a more readily identifiable as feminine middle name works well with unisex names.

Smoliver Wed 08-Nov-17 19:00:41

I've always liked Sam being short for Samantha. Don't know, just always have.

I also once knew a Alexandra who always went by Alex.

Also, love Gilmore Girls and Rory!

MiaowTheCat Wed 08-Nov-17 19:04:20

I have a Robyn who gets Bobbi a lot. I don't like "forced" nicknames though - it's just evolved over time

Scallywaggle Wed 08-Nov-17 21:31:39

I always wanted a Frankie, Georgie or Charlie for a girl smile

Had DD & my wishes were rejected.

bridgetreilly Thu 09-Nov-17 02:42:21

Winifred nn Freddy is my favourite.

LostPlatypus Thu 09-Nov-17 03:36:02

I know a Frankie (Francesca) who was known by that name when we met at school and still goes by that name now, even professionally. I also know a Phil (Philippa) who is only Phil to people who are more than acquaintances and is Philippa professionally.

I am not sure what their parents think about it, although I do remember Frankie always being called by her full name by her mum when I visited.

LostPlatypus Thu 09-Nov-17 03:36:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheVoiceOfTreason Thu 09-Nov-17 19:15:29

To me, abbreviating Lorelai to Rory makes no sense. I don't get it....

But I do like the Harriet/Hari, Theodora/Teddy (or Theo!), Francesca/Frankie thing. Loads of other good examples too. It works because either a) the girl in question is a tomboy and likes it, or b) the girl in question is sufficiently girly that the boyish nickname still doesn't make them seem manly!

HettyB Sat 11-Nov-17 14:02:42

I’ve always wanted a Miranda shortened to Andie, but DH vetoed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now