Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Irida for EN speaking country?

(32 Posts)
Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 06:04:12

Irida (Greek version of Iris) pronounced EE-Ree-Da

D in da is more like TH in the but in EN countries it will be more pronounced like D

Do you think it will work in an EN speaking country or are there risks for bullying? Do you like it?

Growingboys Tue 07-Nov-17 06:10:50

It’s okay

BlueberryIce Tue 07-Nov-17 06:20:29

It’s quite nice.

I can’t see anything that would make a child with that name get bullied, so I think go for it. smile

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 06:25:57

I was thinking of word irritating but it may be just me, hope so
Ariadne was another name option but a cousin used it already though they live far away and we never see them ...

vlooby Tue 07-Nov-17 06:31:00

My DH is cypriot and we spent ages looking for names that'd work in both languages. We didn't come across Irida but I really like it

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 06:34:45

Thank you vlooby, what did you go for in the end?

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Tue 07-Nov-17 07:13:34

Ariadne is beautiful, and, I think less likely to provoke confusion / teasing. I know it's not pronounced this way, but silly kids in my class would potentially come up with Irida bike etc. Also potential for them to come up with something "hilarious" related to ride, which can be slang for "have sex with". Again, I know it isn't pronounced "ride".

BlueberryIce Tue 07-Nov-17 07:37:00

Ariadne would be more familiar to a British person, but I really wouldn’t worry about the name sounding non-English.

PP makes a good point regarding “ride”. I still think it’s probably fine though.

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 08:08:42

Hm wouldn’t it be like stealing my cousin’s dd name. A friend mentioned to she wanted that name for her dd though she has ds only and said this is it for them
I like the meaning and unusualness of Irida more but Ariadne is nice too and may work better in the UK
Hard to decide...
DH hates using a name people we know used... hm so hard with this one

Pemba Tue 07-Nov-17 16:18:52

Not heard of Irida before, but I like it. Nicer than Iris actually.

EvilRinguBitch Tue 07-Nov-17 16:26:53

I think that anglophones will never get it right first time. Not one in a hundred would look at that spelling and come up with the right pronunciation. However I don’t think that matters particularly because it’s a basically simple set of sounds and once you’ve been told it once it’s quite easy to interpret as a foreign but obvious way to pronounce those letters.

It sounds a bit like a Kindle grin but since nobody actually calls them E-readers, they just say Kindle, and it’s not an embarrassing thing to sound like anyway, that’s not a problem either.

Ohyesiam Tue 07-Nov-17 17:32:47

Beautiful name, and I don't think even creative bullies could get a foot hold.

WildRosesGrow Tue 07-Nov-17 17:36:30

It made me think of 'irradiation' which isn't the prettiest of concepts. I speak a few languages and tried to guess the pronounciation, but didn't get it correct, so fear most people will find it tricky.

Pemba Tue 07-Nov-17 18:25:24

Really? - it made me think of iridescence, and rainbows and so on - lovely associations. The 'ee' sound at the beginning is also nicer and softer than the 'eye' at the beginning of Iris (English equivalent).

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:47:35

Wish more people saw it as positively as you Pemba. Are you in an EN speaking country? Just to see if others will see it in the same way

Pemba Tue 07-Nov-17 19:17:19

Yes, I'm in England.

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:48:29

😉👍

cakeandteajustforme Tue 07-Nov-17 19:51:56

I’m loving it. Had Ariadne on my list (I’m not Greek just love it). It kind of reminds me of Areetha... which reminds me of RESPECT.

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:00:04

cakeandteajustforme I assume you love Ariadne but not Irida?

cakeandteajustforme Tue 07-Nov-17 20:05:14

No! I love Irida!

Mum8 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:07:45

Thank you Cakeandtrajustforme 👍😉

Smoliver Tue 07-Nov-17 23:26:04

I like it. Makes me think of the word iridescent smile

vlooby Wed 08-Nov-17 04:32:06

We couldn't choose so we ended up with Ada, as we thought Greeks shouldn't find it too difficult. (Some of them refuse to call her it though!)

Our second choice was eleftheria (no Effie) but we decided it was a bit too out there as we live in uk.
I thank that's why I like Irida as it's relatively short and easily pronounced. Boys name would've been much easier for us!

BlueberryIce Wed 08-Nov-17 05:39:07

Is Alethia / Aleathia a Greek name? I’ve heard that one a couple of times in the UK. And Thespina.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 08-Nov-17 05:47:03

Totally made me think of E-reader but I don’t think anyone under 90 calls them that <strokes aged beard>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now