Pride
Fountain
Goddominion
En
Daire
Creed
Braxtyn
Orinate

I used to think it was good that in the U.K. There isn't a set list of names and parents are free to name their dc whatever they like but surely some of these are cruel?

LurkingQuietly Sat 04-Nov-17 13:03:34

Ha, I know a Kc. Awful.

welshpixie Sat 04-Nov-17 13:06:22

Nothing wrong with a Nimrod, I know an 85 year old one.

SardineJam Sat 04-Nov-17 13:09:02

Caio is a Brazilian name - and a very normal one at that

HappyGowerGirl Sat 04-Nov-17 13:10:03

Some of these names are actually perfectly real names in other cultures (nimrod, juri, to name a few). Maybe you'd benefit from emerging from your own (apparently very, very narrow) social circle and appreciate some cultural variety? Just a thought...

MadisonAvenue Sat 04-Nov-17 13:10:05

Dikshita??

SardineJam Sat 04-Nov-17 13:10:55

You'll probably find that Dikshita and Timotei are also common names from other countries biscuit

Lavenderfly Sat 04-Nov-17 13:14:48

I like weird names, which is why I have never been allowed the full responsibility of naming anything other than a car - not even a dog!

Too many samey names and I like character names.

I used to know a recruiter called Sonic, that was cool.
A social worker named Raven.
I nearly convinced my sister to name her daughter Furiosa (a character my sister liked and was toying with for a name)
I used to know a Berk and he was exactly that. Bring back weirdo names I say, smile

My daughter has a Japanese name that was a compromise between my choice and her fathers. Now, with the Japanese anime craze in schools, she loves it to bits.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Sat 04-Nov-17 13:24:27

I quite like Dhax, but then I do love star trek. It's pretty culturally insensitive for you to be sneering at some of these names though.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Sat 04-Nov-17 13:26:48

Lavender I would have loved to have picked a Japanese name for my dd! I've always loved the name Kioko which means meets the world with happiness. We picked a Cornish name instead.

auntantigone Sat 04-Nov-17 13:27:11

I think daire is Irish, means oak tree.

Skyllo30 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:27:17

Daire is an Irish name, pronounced Dara.

I saw Priceless and was wondering if it was a Nigerian name - I know people of Nigerian heritage named Precious and Blessing.

DuggeeHugs Sat 04-Nov-17 13:39:03

Chu is the anglicisation of a Chinese name, so not exactly cruel.

daisypond Sat 04-Nov-17 13:47:50

Euan is a normal name, isn't it? It's Scottish. I know a couple of those. It's a version of Ewan, but quite standard. I know a Mate as well - it's a form of Matthew and has two syllables. And Dikshita is Indian, I think.

MadeForThis Sat 04-Nov-17 13:48:43

Euan and daire are pretty common names

DramaAlpaca Sat 04-Nov-17 13:52:57

What a narrow minded & ignorant OP. It's quite nasty to pour scorn on names that are perfectly normal in other cultures.

pinkblink Sat 04-Nov-17 13:57:56

Caio is a Welsh name, I know two. Euan is Scottish, what a judgemental post hmm

BlackBanana Sat 04-Nov-17 13:59:48

You know you've mixed some completely average but just not white English names in there, yes?
Which makes your post come off kinda racist, fyi.

Littlegreyauditor Sat 04-Nov-17 14:01:03

Dáire is a very ancient, very traditional Irish name, so you can fuck right off with your snobby, casual xenophobia OP.
At least your sneering little post has briefly made you feel superior, eh?

InfiniteSheldon Sat 04-Nov-17 14:01:43

Just going to say what everybody else has said some of these are really normal names

raisinsarenottheonlyfruit Sat 04-Nov-17 14:02:46

Euan was on the girls list though.

Alittlepotofrosie Sat 04-Nov-17 14:03:05

What a nasty racist thread. Clearly some of those names are from other cultures but no they don't fit into your narrow minded acceptable box of middle class England so they're not real names.

Iamtheresurrection Sat 04-Nov-17 14:03:29

In fairness Euan is unusual for a girl.

pinkliquorice Sat 04-Nov-17 14:09:14

Seriously what is what all these threads?
Go ahead name all your children from the top 10 list so there will be 5 other kids in their class with that name, be boring, that is completely fine, they are your children and if you think of them as being only that special and important, go ahead.
But let others name theirs, I personally like a few of the names in the above list but there are ones I don’t, what am I going to do with that? Not name my children those names and not complain about it online and make myself look petty, rude and judgemental.

daisypond Sat 04-Nov-17 14:09:37

OK, Euan for a girl is unusual - I missed that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now