Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with names

(7 Posts)
lovelyjubilly Fri 03-Nov-17 21:32:48

DH is terrible at picking names (it seems there are NONE he likes).

I have recently given him a list of 10+ names for each gender that I would consider and he has said there is one name on each list that he doesn't dislike.

Unfortunately both names are the one from the list that I'm probably the most unsure about. Rupert and Paloma.

I feel like I compromised massively on dd2's middle name (I don't like it) and really want to stand my ground this time but it's so hard when DH is SO picky!

Anyone else been in a similar position? Any advice?

I'm 32 weeks so feel like I need to pin him down!

AnyaMoondial Fri 03-Nov-17 21:40:31

Um.....wait until the baby is born and then refuse to suggest names for him/her which should hopefully force dp to suggest names until he comes up with one you like.

It sounds like you'be been doing the hard work so far!

IVflytrap Fri 03-Nov-17 22:00:09

Insist that for every name he vetoes, he suggests a new name. So you provided him with a list of 20 names and he dislikes 18 of them? Then he has to come up with 18 new names himself. Might make him less quick to veto so many names when he has to do some work himself.

If you dislike Rupert and Paloma, don't feel you have to go with them. There are plenty of other names out there (that your DH can look up grin)

Mrsknackered Fri 03-Nov-17 22:11:01

What's your daughters name? Might give an idea what your sort of style is.

He's not being very helpful!

manicinsomniac Mon 06-Nov-17 00:34:14

If he likes Rupert and Paloma, could you find any common ground with:

Rafferty, Monty, Hugo, Rex, Felix, Ferdi, Howie, Maxwell, Benedict, Tobias, Cosmo, Elliott, Gabriel, Julian

Aurelia, Alyona, Cassandra, Clarissa, Cressida, Evangeline, Francesca, Georgina, Henrietta, Isadora, Jocasta, Juliana, Lavinia, Larissa, Marianne, Miranda, Melisande, Natalia, Octavia, Pandora, Persephone, Seraphina

Highpeak Mon 06-Nov-17 08:47:25

Tell him that Paloma is Spanish for pigeon...

I had similar with DH. Have you tried an app, we used one which was a bit like tinder so it would alert you if you both like something. That's how we arrived at DDs name after he constantly vetoed without making any suggestions

Notalitigator Mon 06-Nov-17 11:03:35

My DP did this. We finally found a first name we both liked but he then became difficult about the middle name. By the end of the pregnancy he would only suggest 1 name despite the fact then I said he could have the name he wanted as a first name (which I wasn't hugely fond of). He declined that offer and instead became adamant that it would be 'x' name which he knew was the name of a girl who bullied me(!)

Eventually, when dd was 4 weeks and registering her, I gave him a list of 5 names that I was happy with as a middle name and told him to choose one (there were 2 names on that list from what he'd suggested as a first name) and told him if he couldn't decide i'd register her without him (we're not married). He chose the name I liked after all of that!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now