Talk

Advanced search

Luciana

(33 Posts)
Salmonpinkcords Fri 03-Nov-17 05:04:05

Is it too much? I had vetoed it but due a shortage of other names it comin back into play. DH really likes it but I’m just not sure if it’s too much.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Fri 03-Nov-17 07:20:46

Very nice name, OP.

Am assuming it's pronounced Loo-see-AH-nuh?
(Or is it sometimes Loo-chee-AH-nuh?).

Plenty of scope for shortenings/NNs too.

Salmonpinkcords Fri 03-Nov-17 07:22:05

I think we would be pronouncing loo-see-an-nuh

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Fri 03-Nov-17 07:36:30

Well, it's a definite yes vote from me. Extra bonus point as more unusual than Lucia, a name I love.

allegretto Fri 03-Nov-17 07:37:14

I know someone called this but she says Loo - chee- ana.

ZuzuMyLittleGingersnap Fri 03-Nov-17 07:39:04

I'd caution against using anything you're not really that keen on yourself, though, which you say in your original post.

Do you want a few alternatives?

scrivette Fri 03-Nov-17 07:39:26

I like it.

SuperBeagle Fri 03-Nov-17 08:03:06

Much prefer Lucinda, and it won't have the conflicting pronunciation issue.

GoingCrazy21 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:17:01

I would always pronounce this Lu-chee-ana, I think you would get a lot of people saying this. Otherwise, nice name.

17caterpillars1mouse Fri 03-Nov-17 08:21:32

It's beautiful

pipilangstrumpf Fri 03-Nov-17 08:24:19

Loochiana here too, like Luciano.

MollyHuaCha Fri 03-Nov-17 08:28:58

I like it. There will be general pronunciation divides with this name: Loo-see-an-na, Loo-see-aah-na, Loo-chee-aah-na etc.

Theworldisfullofidiots Fri 03-Nov-17 08:33:07

It really is Loo ch Iana.
It's Italian so most people will say the ch.
Nice name though!

Salmonpinkcords Fri 03-Nov-17 09:00:54

Yes Zuzu I would love some alternatives - baby due week!

The issue with pronunciation does bother me a little

MollyHuaCha Fri 03-Nov-17 10:01:26

Ooh next week, exciting! Let us know what you decide.

Fwiw lots of names have various pronunciations, you just tell people how to say it when you first meet them:

Eva (Ay-va/Ee-va)
Alicia (Al-ee-see-a/Al-ee-sha)
Esme (Ez-mee/Ez-may)
Sara (Sair-ah/Sar-a)
Helena (Helen-a/Hel-ay-na/Hel-ee-na)

LinoleumBlownapart Fri 03-Nov-17 10:17:26

It's Latin so it can be loo-see-an-nuh. I prefer that to the Lu-chi-ana Italian pronouciation. If you think it's too much you can always have nicknames Lucy, Lu-Lou, Lou, Lucia, even Ana. You might find it suits her and grow to love it. I have a child with a similar name, I wasn't convinced but DH loved it. When the baby came along, nothing else fitted. Now I love the name.

Theworldisfullofidiots Fri 03-Nov-17 16:05:17

Most people don't speak Latin in every day life!

Tuo Fri 03-Nov-17 16:24:46

I hate to be a pedant (actually, I don't, it's my default setting, sorry!) but if it was Italian it'd be pronounced loo-cha-na (i.e. 3 syllables, not 4 as described above).

I'll throw in an off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion, if you like the Italian-ish feel but don't want the hassle around pronunciation. What about Fulvia? Pretty, unusual, but pronounced as written.

AnneOfCleavage Fri 03-Nov-17 16:33:54

Tuo Fulvia sounds and looks a bit lot like vulva so wouldn't go with that.

Alvia
Alvivia
Vivia
Alvira are all nicer imho.

OP Luciana is a gorgeous underused perfectly easy to pronounce name once you've chosen your pronunciation of it. My DD has a name that can be pronounced many different ways but we've said how we like it and never had a problem ever. If someone says it wrong DD gently corrects them or I do if said to me and it's never been a problem.

Tuo Fri 03-Nov-17 16:39:46

grin grin blush I had literally never thought of that.

I do agree, though, that once you pick a name and agree on your pronunciation of it it's generally not a problem. My DD has a name that's written exactly as pronounced (so I thought would be unproblematic) but is often mis-heard as a more common name. She just says 'Sorry, actually it's [name]' and mostly that's all there is to it.

daisypond Fri 03-Nov-17 17:07:18

I naturally would say Loo-CHA-na. I find Loo-see-ah-na a bit flowery.

AnneOfCleavage Fri 03-Nov-17 17:07:46

Tuo gringrin

I agree as my DD has an S is her name that can be pronounced as an S sound or a jzuh sound. Also an A that can be pronounced Ay or Ah so a double whammy. Never had a problem, much like your DC.

allegretto Fri 03-Nov-17 20:30:57

The person I know with this name in Italy is actually Romanian so maybe that's why she pronounces it with 4 syllables?

SloanePeterson Fri 03-Nov-17 20:32:22

Similar but more lovely imo is Lucina

loobybear Fri 03-Nov-17 20:59:54

If I read if on a school register would presume the child was Italian and would pronounce it Lu-cha-na. I have known a Portuguese and a Spanish girl who both pronounced it Lu-see-ana. I can't imagine it going great with many British surnames to be honest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: