Talk

Advanced search

Torn between semi sensible (normal) and a bit out there

(155 Posts)
itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:46:12

For our boys name we have always been set on Milo, however lately I've noticed a lot of Milos, I don't know if its just me picking up on it more or if its becoming more popular. Theres also a Milo in hollyoaks now.

Another name we like is Kip, its kinda earthy and unusual and perhaps a little bit out there.

Middle names will be rupert or forrest or both.

Either way our parents/families will probably hate both names but I am torn with what to go for. I'm only 30weeks so plenty of time to decide but some input would be useful!

Santawontbelong Tue 31-Oct-17 10:48:51

Milo is a Tweenie and Kip is wide open for ridicule.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Tue 31-Oct-17 10:52:23

Milo Rupert Forrest “Jones”?
It’s a bit much to be honest.

Mrsyorkie Tue 31-Oct-17 10:54:06

Don't tell your family before the baby is here! I'm the type of person who really could not care less what other people think of my son's name but whilst pregnant I told my mum we liked Campbell. She said she didn't like it and it really affected me. She didn't realise this and once he was born it took around a week to register him because we couldn't decide. My mum rang me and said are you doing this because I said I didn't like it before? I told her i wasn't sure and she told me that if I liked that name to go for it. She also added that when she picked my name no one liked it! I registered him that afternoon! He's now 3 months and she tells me she likes it and it suits him.
My Nan on the other hand hates it but there's not much she does like so I dont worry about that!

RavenWings Tue 31-Oct-17 10:54:15

Well, would you yourself want to be called Kip? That's a pretty good test. It's all well and good to saddle a kid with it, when you don't have to wear it yourself.

I'm not loving either name, but I'd rather be called Milo than Kip.

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 10:56:59

Thanks @Mrsyorkie ! don't worry, we're not planning on telling anyone the babys name until he's born and its fully decided, then its tough!

If I was a man I'd happily be called Kip, yes! Its unusual and short and 1 syllable - which is what I like.

NataliaOsipova Tue 31-Oct-17 11:00:25

Milo is increasingly popular but at least a recognisable name. Kip sounds like a nickname; he will forever be asked "No, your proper name please?". My friend's brother has just initials as his name and is constantly getting forms and paperwork returned to him on that basis!

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:01:14

Milo is becoming quite common now.

DiegoMadonna Tue 31-Oct-17 11:02:26

Milo is increasing in popularity because it's a nice name. Kip is not.

Milo is still only 123rd in the rankings. You're not gonna be bumping into tons of them or anything like that.

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 31-Oct-17 11:02:48

Kip sounds a lot like Kit, so I wonder if he will get misheard a lot. "Hi I'm Kip", "oh hi Kit", "no Kip, K-I-P for Peter, Kip". Would get tiresome. I think Kit is getting more popular now too, so he may end up lumped in with any Kits in his peer group.

Milo is nice. It is popular yes. How about Ivo instead?

Oly5 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:04:41

We also loved Milo but everyone we talk to mentions the milk chocolate drink so we’ve abandoned it! Now going for a more boring but unteasable name

DiegoMadonna Tue 31-Oct-17 11:05:00

0.14% of all boys born last year were called Milo. That's 1 in every 700 boys... Not exactly common.

Joinourclub Tue 31-Oct-17 11:06:42

I much prefer Milo to Kip. Funnily I LOVE Kit.

I really wanted a one syllable name for my DS , or at least a name that could be shortened nicely to a one syllable nn. I considered:

Kit
Gus
Gabe
Sid
Stan

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:08:15

@NataliaOsipova my name is unusual and 1 syllable and I get misheard sometimes but I wouldn't say its a dealbreaker. I'd still rather have my name that a really common name.

@Bernard Don't like Ivo, it doesn't sound like a 'proper' name to me, just letters thrown together.

BertrandRussell Tue 31-Oct-17 11:10:49

"Kip? What's it short for, Kipper?"

"Wow- you're the first person ever to say that!"

Honestly, don't.

Kit? Kim? But not Kip.

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:10:51

@Joinourclub

Hate Kit, its too American. I love Gus but it really doesn't go with our sir name sad Gabe is a nono, hate biblical names, Sid is meh and I always think Stan looks like Satan shock

Emily7708 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:16:15

Milo is a great name. I’ve never met a Milo so don’t think it’s that common. Kip is awful - for a start it’s not a name, it’s another word for a nap or sleep.

Mustang27 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:16:32

There is a shed load of milo’s children and dogs.

I love Kip I don’t think that’s out there at all. I’m not sure how it would result in ridicule but I get it might be misheard a lot. My son has very short name that’s not common in the uk and he gets all sorts. Fuck em I still like it.

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:17:54

haha thank you @Mustang27 someone agrees!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 31-Oct-17 11:18:43

Is there a reason you can't use Rupert as a first name?

Agree with PPs- Kit is so popular now you'll be constantly correcting people

DiegoMadonna Tue 31-Oct-17 11:20:28

There are not a shedload of children called Milo in the UK. Last year was its most popular year and even then it was only given to 1 in every 700 boys. Here are a few names that were used MORE than Milo last year:

Ayaan
Hunter
Robert
Patrick
Bobby
Ellis
Ibrahim
Sonny
Carter
Etc.

itsasecret1 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:20:40

@Fenella I love Rupert but our nephew is called Reuben so it sounds too similar.

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 31-Oct-17 11:20:58

Hate Kit, its too American

If you hate Kit, I wouldn't use Kip tbh. Kit seems to be getting more popular and well known, (Kit Harrington may be the reason). I imagine people might end up grouping them together in the same 'style' of name, (even if you don't).

Also, what's wrong with being too American smile?

DiegoMadonna Tue 31-Oct-17 11:23:34

Anyway OP, you seem quite intent on defending the name Kip, despite having asked for opinions, so maybe there's your answer. Go with the one you feel so strongly for!

Apileofballyhoo Tue 31-Oct-17 11:24:49

I don't think Kit is American at all - but Kip makes me think of that cartoon with the dog. Or having a kip. Milo is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now