Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please come and help with our girls’ shortlist - down to 5 but going round in circles!

(100 Posts)
TempsPerdu Mon 30-Oct-17 09:52:34

I’m 33 weeks with DD1, C-section booked for 6th December but also have placenta previa so she might end up arriving sooner. After much agonising (and arguing!) DP and I have whittled down a very long ‘shortlist’ to five, but now we’re stuck. We’re after something fairly unusual, but not too try-hard or pretentious (I am aware that my taste does veer towards try-hard/pretentious, but we’ve already rejected the worst ones!)

Surname will be double-barrelled and made up of two common one syllable names - think ‘Flynn-Bell’

Your honest thoughts/opinions on the following are very welcome (no further suggestions please as it’s taken us 33 weeks to get this far smile)

Greta
Rowan
Gaia
Viola
Aster

Middle name/s will be some combination of Rowan, Emmeline and Alice, depending on what works best. Thanks!

Santawontbelong Mon 30-Oct-17 09:53:32

Greta Emmeline Alice.

iseenodust Mon 30-Oct-17 09:55:11

Not fond of names beginning with a hard G.
I would choose Viola or Rowan.

BernardBlacksHangover Mon 30-Oct-17 09:57:43

Greta or Viola 1 they are the nicest by a million miles imo! They are also quite different in terms of what sort of baby / child / woman I think they'd suit, so I guess maybe when you meet her one might suit her more, or maybe you and your partner might be more one type than the other.

Fwiw I prefer Greta. Viola is lovely but might get misheard as Violet. Also I'm not keen on Vi as a shortening.

Gaia, Aster and Rowan aren't at all nice to me, but personal taste etc.

IggyAce Mon 30-Oct-17 09:58:35

Viola or Aster gets my vote.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Mon 30-Oct-17 10:00:52

I always think rowan is a boys name as I’ve only ever heard it on a boy and it’s what my nephew is called

Fragglewump Mon 30-Oct-17 10:04:22

I would also assume Rowan was a boy - I’ve known several and all male. Love Greta / Greta Alice - I think adding emmeline might make it a mouthful with a double barrelled surname!

firawla Mon 30-Oct-17 10:07:01

Viola is the nicest.

TempsPerdu Mon 30-Oct-17 10:10:39

Thanks for replies so far - they’re really helping! flowers I think my own current favourite is Greta, but DP really likes the idea of a more ‘naturey’ name (slight hippy/arty tendencies!)

I do get that the unisex thing with Rowan makes it a bit of a ‘marmite’ name, but I’m a fan of strong, non-frilly names for girls, plus DP and I both love rowan trees. Might work better as a mn though?

TempsPerdu Mon 30-Oct-17 10:13:03

And I think we’d aim for ‘Vee’ rather than ‘Vi’ as a nn for Viola! smile

Bat3 Mon 30-Oct-17 10:13:32

Rowen Alice

Bat3 Mon 30-Oct-17 10:14:14

Rowan Alice, I mean.

ChocolateCrunch Mon 30-Oct-17 10:14:32

Greta would be my first choice, Rowan my second - both lovely names!

JoWithABow Mon 30-Oct-17 10:18:21

Personally I really like Greta from your list as it's a strong classic name and I don't know any.
My least favourite is Rowan because to me it's more of a boys name. But if you love it I wouldn't let it put you off as your friends and family will associate the name with your daughter.

Good luck with choosing and with that birth flowers

Dontknowwhattodonowok Mon 30-Oct-17 10:19:01

Viola
Aster
Gaia

They’re all beautiful names. Love them!

Dontknowwhattodonowok Mon 30-Oct-17 10:20:12

FWIW I hate Greta and Rowan- they seem very middle-aged and grumpy to me. I can’t imagine a gorgeous 18-20 year old Greta...

BernardBlacksHangover Mon 30-Oct-17 10:20:27

But isn't Viola usually pronounced Vie-oh-la? Like the Shakespeare character, rather than Vee-oh-la like the musical instrument? Obviously you can pronounce it how you like if you use it, but people may assume Vie-oh-la.

PandaCat Mon 30-Oct-17 10:28:57

Viola

TempsPerdu Mon 30-Oct-17 10:29:34

Bernard Yes, we’d be pronouncing it ‘Vye-o-la’ like the flower/Shakespeare character but using Vee as nickname from the initial - agree that Vi as a shortening isn’t the best!

BernardBlacksHangover Mon 30-Oct-17 10:31:53

Aaaaah that makes sense! She might still become Vi though... Sorry, I'm being a dick as really love Greta grin!

I can totally imagine a really cool 18-20 yo called Greta.

<overinvested>.

TempsPerdu Mon 30-Oct-17 10:35:24

Greta does seem to be another ‘marmite name’ - I see it as having a sophisticated, grown-up Nordic vibe, but I know plenty of others just think frumpy/clunky/old lady!

LarkDescending Mon 30-Oct-17 10:35:37

Greta is my favourite. Greta Rowan would be a lovely combination, and get the nature theme in.

Trampire Mon 30-Oct-17 10:49:12

I only like Greta from your list (sorry blush).

I think Greta Alice is lovely.

Loyly Mon 30-Oct-17 10:52:04

I like Greta best.

BernardBlacksHangover Mon 30-Oct-17 10:54:56

Woo team Greta!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now