Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Baby name regret 😞

(51 Posts)
Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:07:31

I have regretted my daughters name straight after we signed her registration.
She is now 17 weeks old.
So this has been going on for a long time!
It has been very stressful naming her, it took 6 weeks to register her.
Up until 6 weeks before my pregnancy I loved Sophie Cora but became obsessive, not sure if I loved it anymore, sounded to similar to our daughters name Chloe..
My other children have 5 letters in their first name and both middle names begin with M, not on purpose but I felt at the time our 3rd child should have the same.
Now it doesn't bother me and I think what was I thinking!
I have cried a lot before naming her after we named her, talking about it everyday with a few names but nothing seemed right!
This is our 3rd child so never felt this before.
I have been diagnosed with PND I have been on antidepressants for 5 weeks now and I am feeling much better (worst feeling/time of my life).
We named our daughter Sofia Mia it doesn't sound right?
Too matchy also Sofia sounds like So-fear, I can not believe I didn't notice this before!
When I say her name that is what it sounds like and I think why did I call her that and it it doesn't sound like a name.
So confusing as some days I'm ok then not.
If I was to register her now I would choose Sophie Cora but I am getting used to Sofia Mia but wish I went with Sophie Cora!
Most times I didn't want people to ask me what her name was as i didn't like hearing what I called her.
My partener is ok with changing it but I don't want to regret changing it and feeling regret about it but I feel I want.
I know how this sounds.. It is everyday I am thinking like this.
I just feel like I let my baby down and feel terrible I am thinking like this about her name and wish I could go back in time.
Should I just deal with Sofia Mia or change it?
Has anyone else felt like this?
Opinions please?

Also on the way home from registering her my face dropped as I thought I should have gone with Emily I never had that face drop dread feeling before.
I have liked Emily Rose also but my friends daughter is called Emily and my sisters middle name is Rose and we don't speak but one of my partners sisters middle is rose.
So feel like I couldn't use it.

I am fed up of thinking about this.

Flowershower Sat 28-Oct-17 10:12:29

Didn't want to read and not respond. I wonder if you're overthinking it a bit because of the PND? It's not that big a deal - if you really don't like the name and it would make you happier to change it then do it. She's so young she'll have no idea and everyone will get used to the new name really quickly. All of the names you've mentioned sound lovely. I like Sofia, I think it's more unusual than Sophie, which I've always thought sounds a bit wet!
Be kind to yourself OP.

Tealdeal747 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:13:59

Do you realise you’ve put this in the horse section rather than on the baby name board?

Flowershower Sat 28-Oct-17 10:14:26

Ps what about just changing Mia to Cora? Then it's not such a big change.

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:16:37

I know 🙈 I am trying to work out how change it.

Flowershower - Yes I have thought of this also 😞

Doubletrouble42 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:16:44

I think it's lovely but if the rhymie thing is bothering you you could change it to Sophie Mia without doing it officially. My birth certificate name is Never used, everyone knows me by a slightly shortened version. Congrats on your baby, and flowers for the pnd. Fellow past sufferer here, it does get easier xxx

Shadow666 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:16:46

Sophia Mia is a bit strange, but I like Sophia and we so rarely use our middle names,

By the way, you posted this in the tack room which is for talk about horses. You might want to report you post and ask for it to be moved to baby names. Unless it is a horse we are talking about. Sophia Mia would be quite a good horse name.

Doubletrouble42 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:18:18

Ps don't bother with Emily rose, it's from a horror film! Sophie Mia is much nicer x

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:18:41

Flowershower- sorry just read your first post.
Thank you for the kind words.

kittytom Sat 28-Oct-17 10:21:06

Just change it OP. Sophie Cora or Emily Rose. Don't leave it til it is too late. You may have PND but name regret is a thing and it doesn't go away. I speak from experience. I do like my DD's name now but I settled for it for what now seems a silly reason and have always regretted not sticking to my guns. I get by with various affectionate nicknames but it would have been easier to just call her what I wanted!

TSSDNCOP Sat 28-Oct-17 10:22:01

You can train yourself to say So Fee Ah by using three syllables and putting the emphasis on the first two syllables. It's a pretty name.

Just don't ever use the middle name. Seriously in resale life who ever uses one? I can't even spell DS's without thinking about it.

Shadow666 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:23:37

Try calling her Sophie for a week and see how it feels.

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:24:14

Doubletrouble42- Thank you that is an idea but I need to have it set in stone..
Terrible isn't it! Thank you for your reply.
I have recently heard about this and I haven't thought about the name since but just thought I would post it as it was on my mind, makes it easier xx

Pumpkinshoes Sat 28-Oct-17 10:27:43

If it's any consolation I think it's a beautiful name! And very very close to my DDs name- she's a '***ia Mia' I like how it's matchy. And it fits in with your other children's names. Sounds like you're being a bit tough on yourself. Make personalised keepsakes with her name on them to help you get used to it and relate her name to her?

DaisyTheDeer Sat 28-Oct-17 10:29:02

Do whatever will make you and your DP happy. If you're really not happy with her name, change it now while she's still so youngflowers

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:34:01

Kittytom- I never heard of baby name regret until this happened.
I agree with you I think i would be think the same you. Thank you.

TSSDNCOP- I have tried doing that it works then it doesn't.. Thank you.

Shadow666- I mostly call her baby then Sophie and Sofia when I try to get used to it. Thank you.

user1499786242 Sat 28-Oct-17 10:35:23

Didn't want to read and run!
I've read a few threads about name regret and I always say it's best to change the name rather than live a lifetime of regret
But one thing that I've noticed is that nearly every poster with name regret is also suffering from post partum depression or anxiety
I think maybe in your case the name has become a much bigger issue and you've built it up in your head and it's become an obsession
Once you change the name would something else take its place?
I say this from experience, I had anxiety about one thing, spent weeks obsessing so made changes but then became fixated on something else! It was never ending

So my advice would be, make sure the pnd is being treated effectively, get some support and then think about changing the name if you still feel the same!

Sending hugs

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:38:48

Pumpkinshoes- Good advice, I have done that with bunting that I made but I bought letters containing Sofia and Sophie that was months ago, I have put the Sofia bunting up but want to change it to Sophie.

Daisythedear- thank you. exactly what you said simple.

BeyondThePage Sat 28-Oct-17 10:41:03

Here Sofia would be said Sof EYE ahhh, so wouldn't rhyme ...

2014newme Sat 28-Oct-17 10:41:57

Is this a horse?

DancesWithOtters Sat 28-Oct-17 10:42:51

Ask HQ to move this to baby names grin

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:45:22

user1499786242- very good advice and that is what I have thought get myself better before I change it.
That is why it is confusing for me now because I would now name her Sophie Cora but I am getting used to Sofia Mia but wish I named her Sophie Cora.
I have 7 and half months to officially change it if I want to and I am waiting it out, i just want to change it, I am sure this thinking would be over, I'm just scared I guess.
I just wanted to talk and have other people experiences and opinions xx

MollyHuaCha Sat 28-Oct-17 10:45:23

Sofia, Sophia, Sophie, Mia, Cora, Rose, Emily - all really lovely names.

I would say change the registered name if you and baby’s father agree.

But if it’s any consolation, many people feel that tiny babies rarely suit their names. So they call them cute pet names such as Munchkin, Poppet, Snuggly Toes, Smiley, Sausage or whatever.

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:48:09

Beyondthepage- I was at the doctors a while back and the receptionist called her that and I was a bit upset, now it wouldn't bother me.

2014newme- no sorry I put this post on the wrong thread 😂😂😂

Je3sica Sat 28-Oct-17 10:49:35

DancesWithOtters- I would if I knew how too, sorry 🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: