Talk

Advanced search

Which name for which twin?

(15 Posts)
sycamore54321 Fri 27-Oct-17 19:57:13

Just something that came up in conversation with some other parents, none of us have twins. How do parents of boy-boy or girl-girl twins decide which baby will have which name? Do you decide in advance the first-born will be Ann and the second Mary? Or wait til both are born and see who looks most like which name? Or some other way?

Just curious. It seems so different to deciding names for two singleton babies.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 27-Oct-17 20:56:36

I've always wondered that

Scribblegirl Fri 27-Oct-17 21:00:37

My cousin has twins - they agreed the first would be X, the second world be Y. Then they turned up and realised they just looked like the other way around so swapped smile

KalaLaka Fri 27-Oct-17 21:01:42

I named then after they were born. I didn't decide names in advance, just had a few ideas. Then looked to see what would suit them!

Starwhisperer Fri 27-Oct-17 21:03:20

We decided twin 1 would have one name and twin 2 the other. Then as soon as twin 1 was born we went off her name completely. So in respect of her sister neither were named until.we had 2 names.

Doubletrouble42 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:05:35

We knew we were expecting two girls. I had a top favourite girls name and so did dp. We fell into calling the left side my choice and the right side ( he slept that side of me) his choice. And they stuck! X

DipsyLaLa22 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:08:02

Our twins arrived early before we’d thought much about names (knew they were identical but not the sex). Once we had decided, wenamed then alphabetically - first twin out got the name nearest the start of the alphabet.

Didiplanthis Fri 27-Oct-17 21:08:43

Mine had totally different personalities in utero - one bounced about constantly the other had to be poked to move, so I felt I kind of knew them individually already and knew the names were right for them.

Jedbartletforpresident Fri 27-Oct-17 21:08:59

We chose based on how the names sounded together - e.g. Emma and Beth rather than Beth and Emma. (Not DTs actual names) - Twin 1 got the name which would naturally be said first and Twin 2 got the second one.

interestingly however a lot of people say the names the other way around anyway!

thefrightnightmanageress Fri 27-Oct-17 21:15:42

We have identical boys & we only knew they were identical before they were born and not their sex.

We had a pair of boys names we liked and had always had them that way round - so when they arrived they were named in order. It was middle names we struggled giving to each - we wanted 2 middle names each - 1 of which was a family name. Working out which went better with which was much harder than deciding who got which 1st name!

BigGlasses Fri 27-Oct-17 22:48:25

The first twin was named the name lower down the alphabet and the second twin named higher the alphabet. So in my case first twin James and second Adam. That way the younger twin gets to come first sometimes in things like school registers.

WhyOhWine Fri 27-Oct-17 22:50:01

My dsis did the same as bigglasses

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 28-Oct-17 00:37:59

I am a twin. Mother picked one name and Dad the other. Mum had priority ( as usual) so I got second choice, being second born. Very happy, I love my name.

sidonie1 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:34:54

We came up with two boy names we liked, and said them in the order they sounded best, then gave twin 1 the first and twin 2 the second, before they were born. I cannot imagine them named the other way round at all, although with my other children I could see them fitting other names. They just totally filled their names!

sidonie1 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:37:39

Jedbartle - mine also get called the names the other way round to the way we thought sounded much better too - interesting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now