Talk

Advanced search

Abel? Or Suggestions for twin names

(84 Posts)
SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:13:00

We are having boy/girl twins and really struggling with boys names.

I’ve posted before as we had chosen Jasper but we’ve both gone off of it now.

Current top runner for girls name is Effie. I dislike ‘matchy’ twin names so don’t want anything that begins in E or ends in the ‘ie/y’ sound.

We already have 3 DD’s and tend to go for slightly uncommon but not unheard of names.

So, thoughts on Abel? Or any other suggestions please? (We can’t have anything beginning or ending in S or X as it clashes with our surname)

Doubletrouble42 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:14:54

I like Abel. Also love Arlo for a boy

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:15:36

Just to add - pronunciation A-bel, not Ah-bel.

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:16:37

Thanks @Doubletrouble42, I’ve been thinking about Arlo this morning funnily enough but it’s very popular where I live which is off putting.

Doubletrouble42 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:17:03

a bit off topic but only discovered when preg with my twins that Thomas and Thomasina mean "twin". Unfortunatey dss called Thomas already! we had 2 dds anyway!

PickleFish Thu 26-Oct-17 09:18:51

surely you will still get lots of Cain and Abel comments, even if the other one is a girl? I'd avoid it for that reason.

Is Effie just a nickname - what's the full name going to be?

Caleb, perhaps?

Doubletrouble42 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:19:41

Abels lovely. Never heard of any others either which is nice, to find a nice name that has not become popular.

PickleFish Thu 26-Oct-17 09:20:03

oh maybe Cain and abel weren't twins, just brothers ,so comments might be less likely. Still the first thing that came to my mind though

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:23:28

I’d never heard of Cain and Abel until looking into the name so I don’t think it would be too much of an issue, not one that would put me off anyway.

Mol1628 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:24:22

I love the name Abel. There’s one in my sons class at school.

Sure you might get cain and Abel comments but there’s something like that for most names so wouldn’t let it put you off.

Mol1628 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:24:48

Mostly it makes me thing of sons of anarchy now actually but that’s not a bad thing.

TisapityshesaGeordie Thu 26-Oct-17 09:31:32

I like Silas for an uncommon but known boys name. Not at all keen on Abel, especially for a twin. My first thought was "what, as in Cain and...?"

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:34:52

I like Silas but our surname makes it unusable (think along the lines of Spears)

IHeartKingThistle Thu 26-Oct-17 09:41:16

I think enough people have heard of Cain and Abel for it to be a problem, sorry!

What about Asher?

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 09:48:10

I’ve already said it isn’t a problem I’m bothered about, so no it’s not a problem.

Tugtupite Thu 26-Oct-17 09:52:16

I guess anyone who's vaguely familiar with the bible will associate Abel with being murdered by their sibling which for twins in particular is not great (they will go through the first 18 years of life being mentally viewed as a couple by soooooo many people and may/may not enjoy that).

I speak as a bitter twin so may be biased smile

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 26-Oct-17 09:53:50

And Cain.

Sorry.

Ecclesiastes Thu 26-Oct-17 09:56:46

I’d never heard of Cain and Abel

I'm sorry OP, but this took my breath away. I obviously need to start examining my prejudices.

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 26-Oct-17 09:57:52

I’d avoid Abel.

Only a boy I taught called Abel was very weak and it became a bit of a thing. Abel but not able.

TorNayDoh Thu 26-Oct-17 09:58:55

Cain and Abel was my first thought. I think DD did that story at primary school recently too - and as all state schools are required by law to have collective worship which is 50% Christian in nature, assuming you are in the UK, you're likely to come up against it.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 26-Oct-17 09:59:19

You might be a tiny little bit biased, with a name like that, Ecclesiastes.

grin

SupermarketSally Thu 26-Oct-17 10:00:02

@Ecclesiastes seriously? hmm

Ecclesiastes Thu 26-Oct-17 10:01:38

Well, quite, Chardonnay grin.

I don't expect everyone to go the full Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, but Cain and Abel is on a par with Noah, or Moses, or Adam and Eve surely to God?

flyingpigsinclover Thu 26-Oct-17 10:01:39

My first thought was cain and Abel as well.

Apileofballyhoo Thu 26-Oct-17 10:01:53

I thought of Cain and Abel immediately and then I hope he is able... How about Abraham?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now