Talk

Advanced search

Isabel or Isabelle or neither?

(48 Posts)
cremedecacao Mon 23-Oct-17 23:36:02

I like Isabel, but worry that it is seen as dull and overly popular.

DH likes Isabelle (I don't). He hates pretty much every name except Isabelle and Ava.

We have a Heidi already.

Any alternatives/opinions? Due in January and would like to make a decision!

BrandNewHouse Mon 23-Oct-17 23:38:28

I love Isabelle and Isobel.

Waddlingwanda Mon 23-Oct-17 23:39:46

I like Isabelle spelt that way, either way though it is popular. Both names go well with Heidi though.

DramaAlpaca Mon 23-Oct-17 23:43:13

I like Isabel much better than Isabelle, it's less frilly.

I think Ava goes better with Heidi though.

The popularity of a name wouldn't bother me, it's more important to go with a name you love.

ComfyPillow Mon 23-Oct-17 23:45:16

Like Brandnewhouse, I would spell it Isobel rather than either of your spellings. Personally, I think it’s a much classier, timeless spelling than Isabelle.

manicinsomniac Tue 24-Oct-17 01:23:17

I think I like Isabelle better. They're the same name though, so I don't see how your husband can love one but hate the other?!

Isabel/Isabelle/Isobel/Isabella combined is probably the most common girls' name in the school I teach at. But that's for 7-13 year olds. It may be dropping in popularity for babies born now, idk. I don't think popularity would necessarily bother me though, it's a beautiful name. I also love Ava.

Heidi is much, much more unusual than either though, if you care about 'matching'. How about Heidi and:
Amabelle, Ada, Astrid, Aphra, Ariel, Arabelle, Aria, Ayla
Ida, Iona, Imogen, Isolde, Isadora, Isla, Ingrid

Mumek Tue 24-Oct-17 01:26:42

Arabella

Mumek Tue 24-Oct-17 01:27:00

Arabella

cremedecacao Tue 24-Oct-17 07:55:36

Manic- there are several names on my list there! I love Ada, Ida and Ingrid. Why doesn’t my husband?! I particularly like Ada. Aphra is nice too. I like Asta a lot but I know a baby Asta. Too be fair, I really don’t like the spelling Isabelle so I guess it’s fair that he doesn’t like Isabel. I think Ava is too popular for me.

Arabella is too girly for me too. Not keen on “Bella” ending names, plus our cat is called Bella.

cremedecacao Tue 24-Oct-17 07:56:16

*to be fair

stevensupersquirrel Tue 24-Oct-17 08:09:35

I think Ilsa goes really nicely with Heidi and isn't million miles away fyom Isabelle.

Sophronia Tue 24-Oct-17 08:17:23

Isobel is my favourite spelling.

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 24-Oct-17 08:47:50

Isobel is the best spelling imo. Love it

ohlittlepea Tue 24-Oct-17 08:51:34

One is the spanish spelling one is the french, still the same name smile and all classic. Its a very popular name but if you love it that shouldnt put you off. Danielle is very pretty and much less used .xx

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 24-Oct-17 09:02:38

Isobel is lovely, also Ishbel.

Glumglowworm Tue 24-Oct-17 09:07:11

Isobel is my favourite spelling, then Isabel.

It is extremely popular but that's because it's a gorgeous name

BernardBlacksHangover Tue 24-Oct-17 09:53:13

Isobel is my favourite spelling. I don't know any baby Isobels fwiw; all the Isobel / Isabelles I know are slightly older children or adults.

bridgetreilly Tue 24-Oct-17 10:23:28

Ava Isabel.

Sorted.

Threeandabit Tue 24-Oct-17 10:25:09

Isadora
Julienne
Greta

Freya
Zinnia
Jayne

FizzyGreenWater Tue 24-Oct-17 11:08:06

Your husband doesn't 'hate' all names except these two massively popular and 'current' ones. He's just very influenced by fashion - tell him that!

He would have hated Ava 10 years ago and would have liked Sophie. grin

Isabelle is very frilly and she'll always be spellling it as it's a less normal, slightly messed-around spelling. Isabel much better. Isobel is the one I like best.

Ava will date really badly - it's a granny name, very current now and part of the whole Eva/Evie thing, but will slide back down.

Heidi is far more of a stand-out name, I'd definitely look past those two names for an equivalent. Your DH needs to realise he's just following the crowd!

Anna
Tara
Astrid
Linnet
India

ComfyPillow Tue 24-Oct-17 15:28:21

I only know one Heidi but lots of Isobel/Isabelles. The Heidi I know has a sister called Lisette.

passmethewineplease Tue 24-Oct-17 15:32:43

Everyone always says how popular it is but when I named DD Isabelle 8 years ago it wasn't. I still don't know many Isabelles now tbh. More Lilys and Amelies.

I prefer Isabelle for some reason Isabel feels like its not complete and is missing letters. blush

cremedecacao Tue 24-Oct-17 15:52:34

This is all very affirming! So many names that are on my list! Dh is now claiming never to have said he likes the name Ava so his list is now down to Isabelle haha!

I like

Ada
Amy
Ivy
Greta
India
Juniper (Juni)

All with either Isabel or Ivy as a middle name.

But he really just likes Isabelle.

He is at least recognising that we might need to find another name though, which is progress...

Backhometothenorth Tue 24-Oct-17 18:36:24

Love Greta Isobel (as long as surname not T grin)

Chocolaterainbows Tue 24-Oct-17 18:37:07

isabelle smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now