Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Is Clara becoming a popular name?

(43 Posts)
Rosehyd2 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:23:16

I don't know of any in real life and it's been on my names list for a very long time but suddenly I'm seeing it everywhere.
Has it recently had a huge growth in popularity?
We wanted something short (long surname), classic, and beautiful, with a hint of unusual (ie not Emily etc- no offence to any Emilys).

I'd prefer if there weren't 3 in the same class when she's in school as I have a unique name and I've always loved it.

Jigsisaw Fri 20-Oct-17 20:34:02

It's not rare. Both my dc have a Clara in their class.

Frazzled2207 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:35:27

I love it and haven’t come across any (South Manchester)

WallisFrizz Fri 20-Oct-17 20:37:27

The only one I know is 2. It is beautiful, possibly increasing in popularity but nowhere near as used as Ava, Olivia, Sophia etc.

Sophronia Fri 20-Oct-17 20:47:28

I think it’s going to become quite popular over the next few years.

Tinylittlehobbitfeet Fri 20-Oct-17 20:47:30

I know two but I wouldn't say she would be one of three in a class...might be another one in her year group

Threeandabit Fri 20-Oct-17 20:48:00

I don't know any. It is nice. I also like Carrie.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 20-Oct-17 20:51:14

I think it's quite rare for any name to be 3 in a class these days. Though sometimes you get strings of similar sounding but different names.

I don't think I know a Clara, it is lovely though.

RaindropsAndSparkles Fri 20-Oct-17 20:57:00

I think it's lovely. Dd had three Alice's and three Imogen's in her class. It was demographics not usage. She's 19 now.

BakedBeeeen Fri 20-Oct-17 20:59:32

I think sophronia is right.
Link below to a great website for helping deciding baby names cos it tells you how popular a baby name is, and whether it is going up or down in popularity.

names.darkgreener.com/#clara

For example, I typed Clara in, and it seems that the last few years it has really shot up in popularity. Which means that in the next few years all these baby Claras are going to be starting primary school!

Jigsisaw Fri 20-Oct-17 21:00:18

I do think that's true. You can pick a rare name (statistically) and then end up with your child being one of two Siúns or Fraochs because you are that type of person who chose that type of school.

stevensupersquirrel Fri 20-Oct-17 21:41:40

I have a Clara. The name shot up in popularity in the 2015 ons stats (from memory it went from c. 120 to 91) but last year it only went up 3 places to 88.
I think it was the dr who effect. The character had died and the name is therefore less in people's minds in one respect, but also more likely to meet baby Claras now so it will still continue to rise gently i imagine (whilst I'd prefer it not to!).

EvilCleverDog Fri 20-Oct-17 22:15:46

Blame Dr Who!

Amelia (pond)
Martha (jones)
Clara (Oswald)

The only companion that didn’t make the top 100 is poor Donna!

Readytomakechanges Fri 20-Oct-17 23:04:16

I have a nearly three year old Clara. I've loved the name since reading the book Heidi as a child and always wanted to name a DD it.
I couldn't convince DH with DD1 as he thought it was too 'out there', but thank God for Dr. Who bringing it slightly more into the mainstream in time for DD2!
I don't know and have never met any young Clara's since naming DD2, although I did meet a lovely 90yo Clara. I'm in West Yorkshire.

Emilybrontescorsett Fri 20-Oct-17 23:21:36

I've liked Clara for years.
I don't know any.

SuperBeagle Sat 21-Oct-17 08:13:52

I know one who's about 10, but it's not popular here in Australia (not in the top 100).

I think it's beautiful, and it's the name of the main character in The Nutcracker.

Redpramlady Sat 21-Oct-17 08:25:59

Really love this name
Please clarify for me I say it as Clara like Tara hard ar sound which I prefer
I've seen traditionally it's said clair a
Both lovely in their own right but is it going to be a common thing that it's pronounced differently by people?

stevensupersquirrel Sat 21-Oct-17 08:27:47

I have an elderly aunt pronounced clair-a but my daughter is clar-a. Nobody has pronounced her name wrongly.

Tilapia Sat 21-Oct-17 08:30:15

I love Clara. I don’t know any.

fucksakefay Sat 21-Oct-17 08:31:35

I know 2 Clara children, one is 8 the other 3.
Both London

Cousinit Sat 21-Oct-17 08:38:15

I have a baby Clara but I live in New Zealand where it's not popular at all. In fact many people struggle to pronounce it correctly! I have always loved the name but probably wouldn't have chosen it if it became too popular. We decided against calling our son Oliver for this reason.

curlyLJ Sat 21-Oct-17 08:40:37

My DD is a Clara, she's 3.5. I only know of one other and she's not local to me, so there are no others that I know of in my area.
My nan and great nan were both Claras (although I know my nan's name was definitely pronounced clair-a, mine is a clar-a) which is where I got the idea. I love the name, but I hope it doesn't become too popular.

ricecakeseverywhere Sat 21-Oct-17 08:48:43

None here yet - I love this name

daisypond Sat 21-Oct-17 10:03:20

I think Clara is much more popular than Emily! I know a few Claras but no Emilys at all where I am - London.

yaela123 Sat 21-Oct-17 20:48:20

I know 6 Claras - aged 80s, 16, 14, 7, 5 and 5

But then I do know a lot of kids (teacher, ex-brownie leader, have 6DC myself) so it does seem quite rare to me (I only know one of them well)

I think it is a really lovely name!

(I'm in London btw)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: