Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Is Harvey a no-go now?

(33 Posts)
triangularchocolate Tue 17-Oct-17 21:07:58

I don't like many boys names and ones that DH and I both like are non-existent. DS2 is due in 10 weeks - we had sort of settled on Harvey but I've been put off by the Weinstein stuff - DH thinks that's daft and it'll be forgotten before too long. Any other suggestions?

Chaffinch4 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:09:21

I know a lovely few weeks old Harvey. It's just his name for me - a sweet little boy.

buckeejit Tue 17-Oct-17 21:10:43

I couldn't think why it would be no go. Certainly not because of Weinstein. Its a nice name

Muddlingalongalone Tue 17-Oct-17 21:11:47

I think it's fine and no-one will connect the two.
Tbh I thought you were going to say Katie Price!!

Trills Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:03

Harvey is Sabrina's boyfriend
(the Teenage Witch, in case that was not clear)

outofmymind26 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:16

I've got a brother Harvey. Lovely name 😊

MrsHathaway Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:54

I think if a single person looks startled and says "^Harvey^?!" in that voice, about your precious perfect newborn, then it will spoil it for you when you're hormonal and vulnerable, and you won't forget how you felt in that moment.

I agree that it's a common enough name to be useable again in a few years, but I think you could come to regret using it now. Are you likely to have another opportunity to use it in future?

OlennasWimple Tue 17-Oct-17 21:22:45

I think it's a common enough name that no-one will make the connection. People still call their children Peter (Sutcliffe), Rose (West) and Charles (Bronson), after all.

More unusual names like Adolf (Hitler) and Myra (Hindley) are off the table for most people but Harvey isn't (at the moment) in that league, I don't think

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:24:19

It's fine.

StylishDuck Tue 17-Oct-17 21:28:22

I would think Harvey Specter from Suits and that’s all good grin

MrsHathaway Tue 17-Oct-17 21:28:33

I'm surprised to be in a minority. When we named our DC we kept a beady eye on the news including sleb twaddle to make sure that our chosen name hadn't suddenly become notorious. Lots of people avoid names if famous people have very recently used them I was bloody glad Prince George was George as I was worried they'd use "my" name however popular the name is more generally.

If it bothers you now, OP, I suspect it will bother you for a long time. One of my children has a negative association with his name and when it was brought up affectionately this year I thought I'd break my teeth with grinding.

glovesonstrings Tue 17-Oct-17 21:33:32

It's a great name. I wouldn't use Adolf, but Harvey is fine.

CleverQuacks Tue 17-Oct-17 21:35:27

My middle son is called Harvey and I hadn’t even thought about it till I read this post. I don’t think people will make the connection.

Redactio Tue 17-Oct-17 21:35:52

Harvey is an imaginary rabbit.

BerryBee Tue 17-Oct-17 21:37:07

It's fine OP. I didn't even make the connection from the title of your post!

triangularchocolate Tue 17-Oct-17 21:38:19

I'm pleasantly surprised by the consensus. It may be that we have no other options but will keep looking. I'm certainly not planning any more DC after this one so won't be able to use it in the future.The Katie Price thing doesn't bother me. I suppose you can never predict a name becoming notorious or used for celeb offspring so perhaps not one to worry about for a normal-ish name!

mummypleeeaaaasseeee Tue 17-Oct-17 21:39:21

Love Harvey!
Today's news will be yesterday's news soon

3EyedRaven Tue 17-Oct-17 21:41:01

I thought you meant because of the hurricane. Ignore me...

SnowBodyforrrrm Tue 17-Oct-17 21:42:42

I have a Harvey! He's delicious 😍 I never even put the two together to be honest and no one has mentioned it. Hurricane Harvey however was a different story 😁 He was very proud to have a hurricane named after him 🌪.

It's a fab name. And I agree with a PP, Harvey is Sabrina's boyfriend, infact, my Harvey had the nickname Kinkle from day one!

Congratulations on your impending arrival flowers

Jooni Tue 17-Oct-17 21:55:10

I thought you meant because of the storm too. It’s fine!

If you’re worried, Henry, Huxley, Stanley, Sidney seem similar?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 17-Oct-17 22:00:35

Harvey is a lovely name, it's fine to use it.😀

CalmanOnSpeeddial Tue 17-Oct-17 22:06:08

I honestly thought you meant the hurricane. I think Weinstein is such a distinctive surname (especially in the UK) and Harvey such an unexceptional first name that Harvey is no more compromised than Jimmy is.

Smoliver Tue 17-Oct-17 22:15:06

Definitely hasn't been a good year for the name Harvey - first the hurricane now this.

I still like this name though! grin Still usable in my opinion.

MummySparkle Tue 17-Oct-17 22:19:52

redactio my DS is Harvey, we have a large number of toy rabbits for precisely that reason. We still have no idea!

he was going to be Jeremy as in Jeremy Fisher from Beatrix potter. DH said a point blank no because of Jeremy Kyle.

Redpramlady Tue 17-Oct-17 23:03:03

Stylishduck me too!
Uber cool!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: