Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Cassiopeia

(35 Posts)
PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:22:59

We aren't finding out the sex of our baby. Pretty settled on Orion for a boy but my other favourite constellation is Cassiopeia, she has always been there for me in the night sky when I needed her. Would this just be too flouncy a name if our baby were a girl?

FrancisCrawford Tue 17-Oct-17 17:28:22

The myth has her willing to sacrifice her daughter. And having an eternal punishment for her vanity

Not the most auspicious name

And a bugger to spell

PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:29:06

Also how would you pronounce it? You tube says 'Cass yer pee ya' but I always thought it was 'Cassie-oh-pee-ya'. The former would lead to teasing so wouldn't go there!

PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:30:22

Oh god not so romantic, what a shame. I love the name Medea but wouldn't choose it for similar reasons! I think I'll stick to revering her in the sky!

MollyHuaCha Tue 17-Oct-17 17:34:40

So pleased you’ve talked yourself out of this name. wink

PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:36:19

Hahaha you just want it for yourself biatch 😉 see ya wouldn't wanna peia!

DiegoMadonna Tue 17-Oct-17 17:37:20

always been there for me in the night sky when I needed her

What does this even mean? Aren't all constellations always out there somewhere? Stars don't go anywhere.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 17-Oct-17 17:39:08

I think its too much for anyone for s first name, but It obviously means a lot to you, so I think it'd be A shame not to use it,so I'd use it as a mn

BenLui Tue 17-Oct-17 17:41:35

If you are specifically looking for a constellation what about Lyra or Carina?

Both lovely, easy to spell and pronounce.

BenLui Tue 17-Oct-17 17:43:24

Diego are you always so literal and cold?

Clearly Phelan takes comfort from gazing at the stars, nothing wrong with that. I often give Orion a little wave myself.

Brighteyes27 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:45:17

How about Cassie no idea what it means?

PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:45:59

Lyra and Carina are very beautiful but I'm not specifically looking for a constellation name. I already have another name lined up smile i
I used to go for walks to escape my hellish home when a teenager and stare at the sky! I called her my w boson (didn't know the real name) and used to wander round wondering about wave particle duality and the shape of the universe. Geeky freaky nerdgirl

PhelanGood Tue 17-Oct-17 17:46:54

Aww BenLui flowers glad I'm not alone!

BenLui Tue 17-Oct-17 17:59:42

Glad you have another name OP, it’s good to have options and take time making sure they are a good fit.

KeiraTwiceKnightley Tue 17-Oct-17 18:00:31

I know a Cassie hope who is known as Cassiopoeia as a family joke.

Fannyfannakerpants Tue 17-Oct-17 18:01:57

My favourite name is Phaedra but it has a equally awful story to go with it so I couldn't ever burden a child with it. So for that reason I'd say no. But its personal to you and is beautiful.

NotAgainYoda Tue 17-Oct-17 18:02:57

What about Lyra or Carina

NotAgainYoda Tue 17-Oct-17 18:03:21

Ooops! Sorry. Did not RTFT!!

Orangebird69 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:04:00

It's awful OP. Sounds like some kind of medical condition.

EssentialHummus Tue 17-Oct-17 18:08:43

Not keen. What about Lucia (or something sky/light/sun related)?

BrokenBattleDroid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:12:34

Or just Cassie, with you knowing privately in your family that you named her after the constellation?

It's a lovely sentiment after all, and Cassie the shortening is lovely.

NinonDeLenclos Tue 17-Oct-17 18:15:13

It would be a bugger to have to spell out repeatedly.

What about Artemis or Demeter?

KittyVonCatsington Tue 17-Oct-17 18:16:18

I went to school with a Cassiopeia. She actually pronounced it Cassee-oh-pay-ah.
Beautiful name. We did often call her Cassie too!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 17-Oct-17 18:19:21

More not so try hard solar systemy names
Aurora.
Luna
Neptune
Celeste
Saturn

Nifflerbowtruckle Tue 17-Oct-17 19:19:34

I LOVE Cassiopeia. I’m a big fan of Ni No Kuni and a character is called Cassiopeia. They pronounced it Cass-ee-oh-pee-ah

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: