Talk

Advanced search

Pronouncing baby's name wrong

(235 Posts)
MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 15-Oct-17 07:58:00

Friend has had a baby girl - Anaïs.

Lovely name, but they pronounce it Annay, and not An-eye-ees.

I saw it written down before I heard them say it, and said “I love the name Anaïs” to the grandmother (also my friend). She told me that that’s not how it should be pronounced.

Should I explain what a diaeresis is for?

Uptheduffy Sun 15-Oct-17 16:32:16

I am sure I have heard an advert for the perfume saying annay annay. Would google it but WiFi weak.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Sun 15-Oct-17 18:09:05

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3ybznWhjw

It's Ann-eye-yees / Ann-a-yees in this one.

I have a degree in French and also used to live in Paris. It is not pronounced annay in any French accent I've heard. That's not to say the people in the op are forbidden from calling their dc annay if they like. They can call their son bob and pronounce it Greg if they like!

Heratnumber7 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:45:07

How about Noël then, everyone who says annay is ok. How would you pronounce Noël? Hmm??hmm

TatianaLarina Sun 15-Oct-17 19:48:21

It doesn’t actually matter that it’s a French name.

We all know what diaereses signify in English - as people have given examples -

Chloë
Zoë
Naïve
Noël
Brontë

Everyone knows how to pronounce those words.

If you use a name that uses a diaeresis, surely you figure out the pronounciation first, if you don’t already know?

MikeUniformMike Sun 15-Oct-17 20:00:03

I'd pronounce Noel Nole but if it was in relation to Christmas, I'd pronounce it No EL

BuzzKillington Sun 15-Oct-17 20:03:09

OMG - that's just idiotic.

Annay? shock

They really should've split it Annay, unless they want to subject her to a lifetime of having to explain her parents' idiocy.

FuzzyOwl Sun 15-Oct-17 20:04:45

I think that, no matter how much it might grate, if a parent has decided a name is pronounced a certain way, then that is the way that child's name is said. It might be pronounced differently to everyone else who has the same spelling but ultimately the correct way is the way that the parents have chosen.

BuzzKillington Sun 15-Oct-17 20:05:26

spelt*

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 20:05:54

Cringe! I would have to tell the parents they are saying and spelling two different names. (Not sure if annay is a name?) surely when you are considering baby names from another language you listen to the pronunciation on google? confused

TheNotSoGoodWife Sun 15-Oct-17 20:07:44

I’ve known 2 Anais’s - one pronounced as An-nay and the other as An-eye-ees.

I just assumed it was one of those names with several pronunciations and went with how they pronounced it.

LittleWitch Sun 15-Oct-17 20:07:59

I would pronounce Anais as Ann eye eess too. However, having been at school with a Deirdre (pronounced Deedra), I’ve spent years being corrected as everyone else pronounces it Deardree. Deedra is much nicer IMO.

MollyHuaCha Sun 15-Oct-17 20:15:27

The pronunciation is An-eye-ees. But if the parents are calling her Annay, then I guess that’s going to be her name (poor child).

Heratnumber7 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:04:40

I’d pronounce Noel Nole but if it was in relation to Christmas, I'd pronounce it No EL

Why would you pronounce it differently at Christmas time?

SumAndSubstance Sun 15-Oct-17 21:10:51

Doesn’t everyone pronounce the first ‘Noel’ differently to ‘Noel’ Gallagher? I presume that is what the pp means.

Heratnumber7 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:20:27

No. They are pronounced the same, because they are the same word.

SumAndSubstance Sun 15-Oct-17 21:40:23

Seriously? You would pronounce Noel Gallagher's name like No-elle?

Allthecake Sun 15-Oct-17 21:58:58

The polite thing to do here is pronounce the kid’s name the way the parents want it pronounced. It’s really none of your business and you’d just look like an arse (imho) trying to correct them. Their kid, they choose the pronunciation, just like you’d choose yours. As a pp said parents can spell and pronounce a name any way they like.

MontanaSkies Mon 16-Oct-17 08:51:32

The First Noël and Noel Gallagher are pronounced differently. But in both examples there's an extra vowel syllable in there (however slight). You don't just say "Noll" and ignore the "e".

On a related note, isn't Noel Gallagher's daughter called Anaïs? Not sure how they pronounce it though.

TonicAndTonic Mon 16-Oct-17 09:31:55

The pronunciation is An-eye-ees. But if the parents are calling her Annay, then I guess that’s going to be her name (poor child)

^This. I would always instinctively say An-eye-ees, but I wouldn't go telling the family they are wrong, all you will get is conflict and they will carry on pronouncing it the way they like.

MulberryMoon Mon 16-Oct-17 09:39:20

I would say An-eye-ees.
I've heard Noel Gallagher's daughter's name pronounced An-AY-is by her co-presenter

MulberryMoon Mon 16-Oct-17 09:47:05

Actually it was pronounced An-AY-iss

PandorasXbox Mon 16-Oct-17 10:05:22

Maybe they know but prefer to say Annay?
Personally I’d keep quiet I think.

TatianaLarina Mon 16-Oct-17 10:07:47

Surely the difference between Noël, which is the French word for Christmas, and the name Noel, which derives from it, is obvious? (Cf the diaeresis).

SoupDragon Mon 16-Oct-17 10:26:57

Why would you pronounce it differently at Christmas time?

Because it's spelt differently. Noël compared to Noel

Heratnumber7 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:49:13

Noel the name should have the dots too.
As should Noelle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »