Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How would you spell Laurence/Lawrence?

(23 Posts)
2ducks2ducklings Sat 14-Oct-17 15:30:24

I'm struggling with boys names and only have 3 weeks until due date. We're leaning toward Laurence but a couple of people have mentioned that it should be Lawrence. I've read that Laurence is a girl's name in France and while we have no intention of moving to France, we do go on holiday there quite often. Would it bother you if your child's name was associated with a different gender in another country?
Other than that, I am quite keen on Christopher too, so does anyone have any other suggestions of names similar to these two? We already have Felicity and Alistair.

DramaAlpaca Sat 14-Oct-17 15:34:25

I like Laurence, classic but unusual these days.

I'd go with Laurence for a first name, as the surname is usually spelled Lawrence.

It wouldn't bother me at all how the name is used in another country.

Chaffinch4 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:35:24

I love the spelling Lawrence, but Laurence is the more common spelling in the UK, I think. I'd just pick the one you like the look of best.

Laurence is usually shortened to Laurie and Lawrence to Larry, if that makes a difference?

cushioncovers Sat 14-Oct-17 15:39:07

Might not be relevant to you but I have a family member with that name and every time they holiday in France he gets laughed at because it’s a female name. Grown adults have roared with laughter when he has introduced himself.

Anyway back to your question I would go with Laurence spelling

May50 Sat 14-Oct-17 15:39:16

I prefer Lawrence. I would read that as definitely a boy. Laurence I wouldn't be sure as I knew a female (French) Laurence. Looks more unisex with the 'u'.

IAmTheDragon Sat 14-Oct-17 15:43:20

I'd go Laurence. Because Laurie is an incredible cut nn on a boy.

KoalaD Sat 14-Oct-17 15:43:31

I prefer Lawrence, as I think it looks more masculine.

2ducks2ducklings Sat 14-Oct-17 15:46:04

That's my worry cushion. I do love the nn Laurie though.
I think I prefer Laurence, but I'd hate him to be laughed at upon introducing himself shock.

IAmTheDragon Sat 14-Oct-17 15:49:54

You can just encourage him to take it in good humour though. There are loads of French male names that are female names in the UK. Doesn't need to be a big deal at all.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 14-Oct-17 15:59:03

I prefer Laurence. More traditional and therefore less likely to be misspelled. If you're not planning to live in France, it doesn't matter that it's a girl's name there. And even if you do move to France, he could just go by the name of Laurie since you like that.

Threeandabit Sat 14-Oct-17 18:08:17

Laurence

Laniakea Sat 14-Oct-17 19:04:23

definitely Laurence

MikeUniformMike Sat 14-Oct-17 19:05:38

Laurence. Not keen on it but I know a really nice Laurence and I like Laurie (Little Women). So, it's a yes. Lawrence is a surname.

FindTheLightSwitchDarren Sat 14-Oct-17 19:12:01

I prefer Lawrence.

I do think of Laurence as a French woman's name, as my French assistant in primary school was a woman named Laurence.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 14-Oct-17 19:24:13

Lawrence.

rachrach2 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:32:41

I would spell it Laurence (I think of Lawrence as the way the surname is spelt). I know two Laurences (one adult one child) and have never heard it being an issue in France!

SP00KYLilBucket1 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:17:38

My favourite cousin was Laurence. Lawrence looks too much like a last name to me. He was called Loz and Lar.

Sophronia Sun 15-Oct-17 00:46:00

Laurence. Love Laurie for short.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 15-Oct-17 00:49:09

Laurence. Lawrence is the surname.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 15-Oct-17 00:59:25

my ds is lawrence.i chose it because i liked the way it looked spelled with a w.

Butterfly1975 Sun 15-Oct-17 01:11:41

I love Laurence with nn Laurie. I do like the W spelling but think of Lawrence as more of a surname. It's a great name - classic but not too popular. It goes really well with your other children's names too!

There are lots of examples where names change gender depending on where you live. Dominique is a boys name in France but more commonly female here in the UK!

2ducks2ducklings Sun 15-Oct-17 09:09:13

That's my thinking Butterfly, though I couldn't think of a single example before!

UsernameInvalid66 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:30:37

I prefer Laurence as I think it is more traditional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now