Talk

Advanced search

Help with girls names!

(26 Posts)
DML00 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:51:12

Still undecided on baby names and dd2 is arriving any day now! Would love to get your thoughts on the following shortlist:

Amelie
Emilia
Darcy
Lauren

teaortequila23 Tue 10-Oct-17 21:55:30

Darcy I've got a Amelia and I'm her class there is another Amelia and a Emilia lol I think it's just so common now but I think darcy is lovely and not very usual x

Threeandabit Tue 10-Oct-17 21:58:23

Darcy is very nice. I prefer the spelling Darcey, due to Darcey Bussell.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 10-Oct-17 22:07:58

It'd have to be either Emilia or Darcy for me
Amelie is like a cross between Emily and Amelia (two beautiful names) gone hideously wrong.
Lauren is awful. Dull and boring. Ridiculously dated and certainly not due a come back. I never saw the hype with this name even in its hey day.
However as I Do like to point out facts are one thing opinions are another

Sophronia Tue 10-Oct-17 23:00:59

Lauren. It isn’t so popular nowadays. I’m bored of the other 3.

SuperBeagle Tue 10-Oct-17 23:01:08

Emilia.

Not a fan of Darcy. Reminds me of the twat in Bridget Jones's Diary. And not a fan of Lauren, because every second person my age is named Lauren, so I see it as a bit dated.

boredofmyoldname Tue 10-Oct-17 23:09:21

Amelie - It's nice but very "now" and I know quite a few.

Emilia - Lifetime of correcting pronounciation and spelling, too close to Amelia who I also know a few of.

Darcy - As with Amelie, nice but very popular at the moment

Lauren - Not the nicest name but I like that it's something a bit different! I prefer Laura.

Jooni Wed 11-Oct-17 02:25:11

I was just thinking that there are no little Laurens now! I like it, and it's unusual for the age group.

Amelie and Emilia are very pretty but ten-a-penny round here, plus the Amelias and Emilys too.

I personally can't stand Darcy I'm afraid, plus it's pretty popular too if you take into account the multiple spellings.

I vote Lauren!

BitOfFun Wed 11-Oct-17 02:32:02

I would avoid Emilia with its association with the (lovely) Game Of Thrones actress. Too trendy.

Lauren is nice. If it seems overused to you, perhaps consider something similar, like Laurel, or Lorna?

Lozmatoz Wed 11-Oct-17 07:45:28

I always think Darcy is a bit chavvy. Lauren most unusual these days if that makes s difference. The other 2 are very nice names. Why not wait until she is born to decide.

Ropsleybunny Wed 11-Oct-17 07:46:32

I love Darcy.

Liadain Wed 11-Oct-17 07:49:22

Lauren is popular ime - where I work every second class has at least one Lauren. Not a big fan of it anyway.

I like Darcy. Amelie and Emilia are a bit bland.

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 11-Oct-17 07:59:02

Lauren sounds freshing

I like Amelie but know alot of little ones
I'm tired of Emilia and I've never liked Darcy

Chaffinch4 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:59:51

Another vote for Lauren.

Darcy just seems like a surname to me.

Way too many Amelies and Emilias around for my liking, but that may not bother you.

Threeandabit Wed 11-Oct-17 08:59:07

Less than 300 Laurens were born last year, in England and Wales (283). I do think she is more likely to share her name with a friend's mum than a classmate. Laurel is a nice alternative, as mentioned above.

Happy choosing, op smile

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 11-Oct-17 12:42:57

Darcy.

bridgetreilly Wed 11-Oct-17 22:28:06

In order:
Emilia
Lauren
Amelie
Darcy (though I prefer Darcey).

AnyaMoondial Wed 11-Oct-17 22:43:48

Lauren!

Smoliver Wed 11-Oct-17 22:57:31

Amelie - very pretty name. Makes me think of the film Amelie, which is a great film.

Emilia - nice name but becoming a bit popular. Not the biggest fan of this spelling either.

Darcy - I know a couple of Darcy's now. It's not my cup of tea tbh, but that's because I just think of Mr Darcy!

Lauren - I really like this name. My cousin is named this, although I see her as more of a big sister. Highly underused these days but is still a strong girls name. I think this is my fav from your list.

Blueskyrain77 Wed 10-Jan-18 00:47:24

What name did you go with op?

SwinginFromTheChandelier Wed 10-Jan-18 21:17:10

I actually love Lauren, quite classy.

Other suggestions-

Dolcie
Emilia
Aurelie
Lorelei
Kaidy

C0untDucku1a Wed 10-Jan-18 21:19:05

Lauren. The other three are very popular

MikeUniformMike Wed 10-Jan-18 21:19:29

Amelie - too popular
Emilia - nice but v popular and too similar to Amelia
Darcy - horrible
Lauren - ok

DML00 Thu 11-Jan-18 03:58:45

We went with Emilia and really love it. I’ve suddenly come across a lot of Amelie’s (our second choice) so I’m really glad that we went with Emilia. I love the Shakespearean link and the name in general. Thanks for all of your comments x

SuperBeagle Thu 11-Jan-18 06:18:33

Congrats, OP! Great choice, though I am biased as DD1's name is Emilia. wink She gets Emmy as a shortening, but most of the time she's just Emilia, which I love.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now