Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Elda??

(35 Posts)
Firsttime27 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:18:13

Our little girl is arriving in 10 days and we don't have a name! I have always wanted Emilia shortened to Emmie but dp has an Amelia in his family (cousins little girl) and although he likes Emmie he thinks it doesn't sound 'professional' enough as an adult.
I am half Italian and Elda is not a name I have heard of here before, but it means 'warrior'. And love Wren as a middle name.
Honest thoughts please! ♡

florascotianew Mon 09-Oct-17 19:01:21

So far as I know, Elda is the Italian version of Hilda.
Therefore, it does have links to the concept of battle.
Hilda is also very 'old lady' rather than 'granny chic' - but on the other hand I know of a splendid person called Hildi - short for Hildgegarde.

If the name is important to you, go for it.

Liadain Mon 09-Oct-17 19:03:46

I'm not blown away by it - it's ok though. Do you like Elva? Not Italian (Irish) but I think it has a nicer sound.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 19:05:06

I like it a lot.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 09-Oct-17 19:05:21

As long as your last name isn't Berry I'm sure it will be lovely.

Lunde Mon 09-Oct-17 19:05:24

I live in Sweden and here "Elda" means fire/set fire

JassyRadlett Mon 09-Oct-17 19:05:48

In my accent it sounds the same as ‘elder’, which is a bit of an unfortunate link.

And because I’m a Harry Potter nerd, it makes me think ‘Wand’.

LyannaStarktheWolfMaid Mon 09-Oct-17 19:06:26

I like it. Elda Wren. Very pretty.

loobybear Mon 09-Oct-17 19:29:30

I'm from Italy and I would consider Elda to be an incredibly old-fashioned name. I would be more inclined to give it as a middle name than a first name.
What about Emiliana (making it quite different from Amelia but could still be shortened to Emi or ever Lia/Liana) or Eliana?

minipie Mon 09-Oct-17 19:32:55

Won't people just think you're referring to your "elder" child?

"This is Elda"
"Oh do you have a younger one"
etc

Emiliana and Eliana are beautiful

Laquila Mon 09-Oct-17 19:38:05

It's lovely, but prepare for a lifetime of people looking slightly quizzical until the spelling is explained. That shouldn't necessarily put you off though.

OlennasWimple Mon 09-Oct-17 19:39:29

You will have people assuming you said "Elsa" when you tell them DD's name. She will have a lifetime of correcting the spelling from Elsa to Elda

weegiemum Mon 09-Oct-17 19:48:23

What about Elna? Its Swedish and very pretty.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 09-Oct-17 19:50:42

Eliana is lovely. I've never heard that name before.

Pooshweens Mon 09-Oct-17 19:51:18

It's cute,

Yika Mon 09-Oct-17 20:06:22

I knew an Elda (Italian colleague) so it's not totally unheard of for me. I like it actually.

ChocolateCrunch Mon 09-Oct-17 20:09:07

Emma, Elisa, Elena and Eleonora were/are popular Italian 'E' names you might want to consider. Not sure about Elda, sorry.

MonkeyJumping Mon 09-Oct-17 20:09:41

I like it, and have heard it before (think it's the name of a Griffin in a Diana wynne jones book).

Mayhemmumma Mon 09-Oct-17 20:10:25

Elna is cute!

Firsttime27 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:34:19

Aw thanks all! Laughing at Berry 😂 surname is Kemp! I am not keen on Elva and Elna. Emiliana is lovely but dp doesn't like it. And I didn't think of the Elder connection. Hmmm. Uncommon is good but not to the point where you have to explain it everytime...

CatchIt Mon 09-Oct-17 20:37:39

I have an Emilia, one of the other mums named her daughter Amelia just after mine was born but tbh it doesn't bother me. Unlike people misspelling her name! 🙄😡

SuperBeagle Mon 09-Oct-17 20:39:09

I also hear "elder", as they're the same in my accent.

And then I hear Elder Wand, as I'm also a Harry Potter fan. grin

Emmeline? You could still have Emmie as a nickname.

BishopstonFaffing Mon 09-Oct-17 20:42:28

I know an Elder (after the tree - has a sister called Rowan). She loves her name. She is also very tall and slim which helps!

Firsttime27 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:52:28

I'm so sad about Emilia because I have always wanted it. I just know dp's grandma would have something to say about having 2 great-grandaughters called Amelia (even though spelt different). She is the very outspoken type and I can't be bothered with that. Know I shouldn't care...
Some lovely suggestions. Seem to be drawn to E names and definitely like wren as middle name x

palmfronds Mon 09-Oct-17 20:53:44

I love Elda! It's the name of a griffin in one of my favourite books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now