Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

synesthesia and names

(39 Posts)
Bowsandbugs Fri 06-Oct-17 16:43:38

Does anyone here have it? If so are there any names that are particularly beautiful to you? Or are there any names that you simply couldn't have due to their horrible colour/taste? TOTALLY fascinated by this and hope their is someone out there who can answer my questions!lol x

Nitsdrivingmebonkers Fri 06-Oct-17 18:53:01

Yes!
I love M names because they are all a lovely gauzy lilac and blue. A names and S names are quite yellow and much less attractive to me. Texture is also important to me. It makes choosing a name even more of a minefield.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 06-Oct-17 19:07:37

I tend to associate names with hair colour eg
Blond names girls
Sophie
Ellie
Freya
Emily
Daisy
Chloe
Jessica
Molly

Boys.
Jayden
Kyle
Louie

Dark haired girls names
Jasmine
Violet
Zara
Lilly
Matilda
Megan.
Lacey
Alexa

Boys
Tom.
Adam
Luca
Reuben
Gabriel.
I know of a red haired Gabriel. It doesn't suit him at all.

Red haired names
Georgia
Olivia
Lucy
Melissa

Boys.

Ben.
Bobby
Elliot

Bowsandbugs Fri 06-Oct-17 19:23:22

Wow! It is so interesting!
nits what do you mean by texture if you don't mind explaining? Do you experience taste at all? I bet it does make the whole process more difficult for you!!

Wilburissomepig Fri 06-Oct-17 19:34:13

My DD is fascinated by this too.

I have an Adelpha and an Isla and would love to know what colours they are to you.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 06-Oct-17 20:42:51

Adelpha has long dark straight hair blue eyes
Isla has red curly hair green eyes.

Nitsdrivingmebonkers Fri 06-Oct-17 21:28:35

bugs no, I don't taste names. But they all have an associated colour or colours which I "see" in my head when I see or hear the name. And that colour will have a texture too, so it might be smooth, shiny like wet paint, gritty etc etc. The name Peter for example is blue/green and a bit like small potatoes or stones in texture. The name Viola has a sandpapery texture.
I think something is wired a bit funny in my brain. For example when I eat salmon and boiled potatoes, I always think about a particular road junction near my old house. Just weird. I've never eaten salmon at that junction!

Banania Fri 06-Oct-17 21:44:03

Both my dds have beautiful green names.

Considering a dark glowy purplish name for dc3 shock

Bowsandbugs Fri 06-Oct-17 21:58:47

Haha the salmon thing is funny! It really is amazing though! Do you mind telling me what you see with Evelyn? I've been reading up about it all evening, an extraordinary gift imo smile xx

Buntysoven Sat 07-Oct-17 01:48:34

I taste names. Sour names to me are Sidney Arthur Stella. Shirley is acidic. Esme tastes like marzipan... I get a flavour for most names and it's really random. My daughter is Nancy which tastes like boiled sweets and this one will be Fern which unsurprisingly tastes herby. My DH thinks I'm mad. He's probably right.

Nitsdrivingmebonkers Sat 07-Oct-17 10:17:08

Wow I think the taste thing is a lot rarer.
bugs Evelyn is a lovely dusky pink. It's textured with little bits in it, hard to describe but looks a bit like rain on a window pane. I like it!

helly29 Sat 07-Oct-17 10:48:22

I've found my ideal thread! I love having synaesthesia - I've got the most common colour-letter/number one and shapes for time. No texture for me though.

Colour definitely affects my name preference - for example I don't like some G names because they're a murky green - Georgia, Greta, Graham (though I like Grace as it's more mint green).

I love yellow names - Evelyn, Edith, Eleanor. Ds is Alistair which is cornflower blue.

For the poster above - Isla is a lovely peachy orange and Adelpha is a rich deep magenta to me.

When I was little I thought everyone in France orange because the word French is! blush

WhataHexIgotinto Sat 07-Oct-17 15:53:54

My neice is called Isla and has been reading a series of books which mentions this, she's fascinated! No red hair and green eyes for her though, I'm sure she'd love to know her 'colour'.

Mollie85 Sat 07-Oct-17 16:51:06

I don't have synesthesia but like a pp I have dark haired and light haired children's name associations in my brain:

Light haired
Christopher
Andrew
Lewis
Ben
Lucy
Sophie
Emma
Charlotte

Dark haired
Michael
Seth
Gus - although Gus could also have mousy / red hair
David
Molly
Siena
Nicole
Zoe

grin strange

FartnissEverbeans Sat 07-Oct-17 17:01:25

I have the colour one. I think that's why I like names in the first place.

A names are white
B is brown
C is bright green
D is black
E is pink
F is lilac/pale grey

and so on. I don't like brown names or orange names. My favourites are I names (which are a bright blue) and S names, which are yellow.

However, it isn't just the initial letter that affects the colour of the name. I love my son's name because it's white and yellow and it just seems really clean and fresh.

CourageCamille Sat 07-Oct-17 17:07:32

My friend Alexandra is a peacock green to me, and Catherine is a watery blue. Emily is germaline pink. I always write their birthday cards in the nearest colour ink I can get to their names, and have done since we were kids. I don’t think they know why though!

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Sat 07-Oct-17 17:14:23

Omg yes!

DD1's name is a field of daffodils under a clear blue sky.

DD2's name is orange and red leaves falling off a tree at dusk.

That sounds saccharin and twee, but I'm blaming it on post birth hormones.

Jooni Sat 07-Oct-17 17:21:27

Fascinating, I really want to know what these DC names are now!

NerNerNerNerNerNerNerNerBATMAN Sat 07-Oct-17 18:39:40

I have this, I don't necessarily taste names but a yellow name next to a green name tastes very sour and unpleasant.

A names are yellow and as a general rule I dislike them for this

S names also yellow. I know a siobhan green which tastes horrible to me, despite it being a perfectly lovely name

I tend to favour J names (blue), M names (red), R names (brown/black).

It wouldn't put me off a name, but I probably would never pick an A name

Dustbunny1900 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:05:02

Evelyn is autumnal to me..olive greens, chocolate brown, fox tail orange. It's a girl with auburn hair and freckles

Isla is pale and and a lonely, haunting atmosphere. Blue, white

Adelpha is magenta against aquamarine , sea creatures jumping in the waves, Grecian, curly brunette hair.

This is fun!!

AutumnalLeaves38 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:38:16

Synaesthesia's always really interested me, too!

This woman's account probably sounds familiar to many of you:
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/19/experience-i-see-words-as-colours

UsernameInvalid66 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:43:56

There are a few names that I associate more with certain hair colours but probably more because of people I've known than anything intrinsic about the names. My opinion can change too. I used to think of Robert as a name that suited dark-haired boys better but the one I know best now is fair, and now that doesn't seem wrong at all. I can't really picture a blonde Sophie, despite the existence of the Countess!

The only other one I can think of is that for some reason (must be some childhood memory but I'm not sure of the details) I vaguely associate Julie with the taste and smell of cherries.

Elmo303 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:24:58

I have the colour one too and there are certain perfectly good names I've discounted for dc2 and dc3 because their colours didnt 'go' with the other names. It's weird!

Bumdishcloths Tue 10-Oct-17 19:12:15

This is so interesting! grin

PsammeadPaintedTheLion Tue 10-Oct-17 19:58:53

This is so interesting. I am desperate to ask about my name! Would anyone mind? It's Victoria.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: