Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maple?

(26 Posts)
TikkaandBasil Thu 05-Oct-17 14:55:52

Hello, I'm just wondering if Maple is useable? Some girls were given the name (over the last few years) so it can't be too bad.

We are really loving Elizabeth Maple. We have thought about Mabel, but it doesn't have the same nature/unusual feel to me!

Chaffinch4 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:15:51

I don't see why not if you like it, especially as a middle name, but it's not a word I would consider using as a name.

stevensupersquirrel Thu 05-Oct-17 16:38:12

I think it sounds nice as a middle name but not as a first for some reason.

BluthsFrozenBananas Thu 05-Oct-17 16:45:06

I quite like it, especially if it's going to be a middle name, but you will get people asking if you have Canadian roots.

Sophronia Thu 05-Oct-17 16:45:12

I also think it’s better as a middle name. Elizabeth Maple is nice.

Cakescakescakes Thu 05-Oct-17 16:48:01

She'll spend her life correcting people who think it is Mabel.

RhonaRugMuncherr Thu 05-Oct-17 16:53:12

Fine as a MD. Not sure I'd want it as my first name

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 05-Oct-17 17:11:49

Really like it as a middle name! Only thing putting me off as a first name is that people will always mishear for Mabel.

Bubblysqueak Thu 05-Oct-17 17:13:04

As in the syrup?

I think I would go with Mabel.

Twofishfingers Thu 05-Oct-17 17:15:48

Awful. Sorry it's not a name.

TikkaandBasil Thu 05-Oct-17 17:16:37

No, like the tree...

Not many people will know her middle name, so I doubt it would get misheard.

TikkaandBasil Thu 05-Oct-17 17:17:16

@Twofishfingers - I know I asked, but does that mean Willow isn't, either?

bridgetreilly Thu 05-Oct-17 17:20:58

I do know a Maple, but I really don't like it. As a middle name, I think you can get away with it if you want.

MadisonAvenue Thu 05-Oct-17 17:35:54

I think it works well as a middle name but as a first name she'd forever be correcting people who thought she was called Mabel.

MsHippo Thu 05-Oct-17 17:47:51

If she wants to be a kids author/kitch poo star/exotic dancer she can be Lizzie Syrop!

Personally it's not to my taste but at least it's a middle name so she doesn't have to use it too much if she dislikes it.

manicinsomniac Thu 05-Oct-17 17:50:20

Idk, it's a pretty sounding word and I love maple syrup - but as a name, I'm just not convinced it works.

Heratnumber7 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:50:31

You know the syrup comes from the tree, right? hmm
Maple is awful. Mabel is lovely.

RoryItsSnowing Thu 05-Oct-17 17:51:05

Maple is a brilliant name!

FrancisCrawford Thu 05-Oct-17 17:53:54

Maple is lovely.

Mabel is awful

Ontopofthesunset Thu 05-Oct-17 17:59:27

I realise there are lots of debates about dogs' and cat's names, but I have known quite a few pets called Maple (dogs, cats, rabbits and guinea pigs) and it is always because of the colour of their fur - it resembles the colour of maple syrup.

Is there something particular about the tree that you like? I am one of those hidebound people who doesn't really think of Willow as a 'proper' name, either, to be honest, nor Aspen. I just think they're all a bit woody and big to be attractive names (a maple, for instance, is a hulking great tree), unlike flower names which have a longer tradition anyway.

manicinsomniac Thu 05-Oct-17 18:53:33

herat - well yeah, sure but, unless you're Canadian, when you hear the word 'maple' you're (most likely) going to finish it with 'syrup', not 'tree'.

Having said that, Google tells me it is certainly used as a name. I still don't think it works personally but you should go for it if you like it.

ChocolateCrunch Thu 05-Oct-17 19:13:48

I like it, although never heard it as a name before. But Willow and Ash are names, so why not!

stopbeingadramallama Thu 05-Oct-17 19:18:34

Is your last name syrup?

user1459464195 Thu 05-Oct-17 19:20:54

It wouldn't be my first choice but as a middle name (paired with a classic like Elizabeth) it is interesting. Personally I'd rather meet an Elizabeth Maple than another Elizabeth Rose or Elizabeth Grace. I would assume some link to "maple" though - probably a Canadian heritage.

Twofishfingers Fri 06-Oct-17 14:34:17

Loads of names are related in some way to flowers and trees. Rose, Lily, Rosa, Rosemary, Violet, Ash, Olive, Willow, Hazel, Jasmin, Iris, Holly, Heather... They are also used as names, and are beautiful names. Maple is not a name, it's not a nice name. It's awful. Why on earth would you choose a name like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now