Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Girl's names - Too popular?

(22 Posts)
Bytheseamummy Wed 04-Oct-17 18:25:16

We're having DD2 in a week and a half (planned c-section) and can't make a final decision on a name. DD1 is Martha.

The last time we culled some from the short list was because they were fairly high on the ONS list and we felt they might be too popular. But I really like some of the names so wanted a bit of MN input! I was one of three girls in my class with the same name all through school and want to avoid that if possible. How likely do you think that would be with:

Alice
Phoebe
Florence
Matilda

Thanks smile

bridgetreilly Wed 04-Oct-17 18:28:13

They'll be fine. Pick the one you like best.

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 18:30:10

Agree they're all fine

Sophronia Wed 04-Oct-17 18:32:39

They’re popular names but they’re fine. I think Alice in particular goes very well with Martha.

Mrsknackered Wed 04-Oct-17 18:43:03

Alice is my favourite, it's lovely.

RhonaRugMuncherr Wed 04-Oct-17 18:55:08

Phoebe is my favourite, incidentally the other names on your list have risen in popularity from 2015 to 2016 whereas Phoebe has gone down

PandaCat Wed 04-Oct-17 19:17:04

Alice is my favourite from your list, my 5yr old is called Alice though so slightly biased.

Phoebe and Matilda are my other two favourites from your list.

Pemba Wed 04-Oct-17 19:19:01

Well they're all quite popular. Alice is my favourite, followed by Phoebe. Matilda is OK, but I don't like Florence - Flora is nicer.

Check again on the baby names list to better assess the popularity thing?

Flopsbiggestfan Wed 04-Oct-17 20:02:47

Two of my dds have names that are on your list. They are 5 and 3 and have always been the only ones in their classes/nurseries.

Chaffinch4 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:11:01

I wouldn't worry too much about the popularity thing. You could give your child a really unusual name and still have 2 in the class at school (DD is like this - only 100 with her name the year she was born, yet 2 in her year at school and 1 the year above!)

Chaffinch4 Wed 04-Oct-17 20:12:33

Also popular names are popular for a reason - they're lovely names! Alice is my favourite from your choices.

Flatbum Wed 04-Oct-17 20:15:43

ALL gorgeous! i love the name clio and cassidy and nova too 🤗 (soz just putting them out there even though they arent on your list, for inspo!)

Yika Wed 04-Oct-17 20:18:00

They are all nice names but too popular for me. Martha is lovely.

Any others that you like? Or can you slightly tweak to make them less usual?

Alys
Hebe (I know this is a completely different name, obviously)
Florentina
Tilda

or names with a similar feel but more unusual

Aline
Cleo
Tamara
Helena
Mara
Marina

LexieLulu Wed 04-Oct-17 20:18:42

I have a Alice, if DH allowed it I would have used Matilda

Flatbum Wed 04-Oct-17 20:19:20

Also if you are up for some more name inspiration other than the ones you have listed OP, here are some i was thinking of but ended up having a suprise DS;
Lila
India
Savannah
Luci
Belle or bella
And lily or possibly Eliza

0to3SadOnions Wed 04-Oct-17 20:20:38

I'm sure there are tens of thousands of towns, villages and cities in the uk. The most popular name was only given to 5000 or some babies, so statistically you're not going to be in a class of all the same name. There might be one, but it's not the end of the world.

From your list I know an Alice (78, my Nan)
and a Florence (I used to babysit her so she must be late 20's now)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 04-Oct-17 20:55:37

❤️ Matilda, goes very well with Martha.

MikeUniformMike Wed 04-Oct-17 21:00:07

Alice.
Phoebe.

Florence and Matilda too popular

Aquamarine1029 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:53:08

Flora is much nicer than Florence, in my opinion. Florence sounds very fuddy duddy. Not crazy about the others.

ppleasebob Thu 05-Oct-17 09:16:19

I only know, and have only ever come across, one Phoebe (my DD - 3) and one Alice (my DSis - 18) a

I know quite a few Florences and Matildas, but they are all lovely names so go with what you love

pilates Thu 05-Oct-17 09:43:47

Martha and Alice sound lovely

Lemondrop99 Thu 05-Oct-17 10:02:12

All lovely names. I think Florence and Matilda are more popular that the other two.

Personally I think Alice goes beautifully with Martha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now