Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What about Mellow?

(96 Posts)
wellthisisasurprise Tue 26-Sep-17 05:53:19

She’d be Mellie a lot too... is Mellow too hippy?! Second name begins with M so love the flow...

Roystonv Tue 26-Sep-17 05:57:25

If it's yellow let it mellow! Just no. Sorry.

CryptoFascist Tue 26-Sep-17 05:58:49

They'd call her Mellow Yellow

blueskyinmarch Tue 26-Sep-17 05:59:57

Surely that isn't a name? I think it is awful. It's a feeling rather than a name.

DiscoDiva70 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:00:39

She'd be called Marsh Mellow

WhittlingIhopMonkey Tue 26-Sep-17 06:00:47

Awful

Orangebird69 Tue 26-Sep-17 06:01:09

Mellow Birds coffee. Nope.

And what if the baby isn't mellow of nature? Would seem a bit ironic then. Again, no.

EssentialHummus Tue 26-Sep-17 06:02:45

No from me. Melissa, Melanie, Jamelia - all could use Mellow as a NN if that's important to you.

OliviaStabler Tue 26-Sep-17 06:04:25

Nope. Can you imagine the teasing when she got upset / angry!

ThaliaLuxurySpa Tue 26-Sep-17 06:06:23

Melody is far nicer.

(And perhaps wise to steer well clear of "Melania", given the instant association with You Know Who...).

wellthisisasurprise Tue 26-Sep-17 06:19:42

I want something different, unique. Obviously if baby comes it may not look like what you plan... there’s no part of me that wants a John or Nicole. Fine names but not me or my partner, we’re young, quirky, individual.
Any ‘M’ names that come to mind that are a little different?
I’m a school teacher and see that children are a whole lot kinder and more accepting than adults when it comes to diversity so worry less about the nicknames or ‘teasing’.

Hmmalittlefishy Tue 26-Sep-17 06:20:59

What about Meadow?

wellthisisasurprise Tue 26-Sep-17 06:27:36

Not taken on Meadow...
I like Mellie, Millie, Molly (but there’s too many of those) I like Georgie but partner doesn’t...

poddige Tue 26-Sep-17 06:28:57

But, @Orangebird69 Mellow Birds can make you smile..

LynetteScavo Tue 26-Sep-17 06:30:26

They'd call her a Mellow Yellow......quite right.

Or Birds.

How about Melody shortened to Melly.

Bananmanfan Tue 26-Sep-17 06:32:48

Merryn? Not Mellow, it's not a name and she won't thank you.

wellthisisasurprise Tue 26-Sep-17 06:33:23

It’s a sweet song!! I don’t enjoy Melody, very American or something...

wellthisisasurprise Tue 26-Sep-17 06:35:20

I think this ‘it’s not a name’ stuff is hilarious.... who decides if ‘it’s a name’ or not?! Popularity?! Aim is to not have a popular name...

Reppin Tue 26-Sep-17 06:36:45

The kind of people who describe themselves as Young, quirky and individual usually aren't.

TroysMammy Tue 26-Sep-17 06:37:09

Smelly Mellie.

ProseccoPoppy Tue 26-Sep-17 06:37:52

What age kids do you teach OP? Because honestly I am surprised you don't think kids would tease - I really would be concerned about that, particularly from late primary through the first three years or so of secondary. Mine aren't at that stage yet but I remember anyone with a "different" name getting massively laid into by others when I was at school and my friends' kids seem to have the same experience now so I am not convinced that has changed at all. Melody is still a bit alternative but imo much prettier.

nooka Tue 26-Sep-17 06:38:10

There are many many names that are neither as traditional as John or as dated as Nicole (although I bet a 2017 Nicole would be pretty unusual) or as odd as 'mellow'. Mellow doesn't sound hippy at all to me, I just don't recognise it as a name at all. Or were you thinking hippy = druggy perhaps - ie mellow stoners?

If you want unusual (I have a very unusual name myself which I love, but it is recognisably a name) and like Mellie then how about Carmella, Melinda, Melody or Melisande? I expect most people will assume a Mellie is Melanie though.

Ropsleybunny Tue 26-Sep-17 06:38:14

Dreadful.

donajimena Tue 26-Sep-17 06:38:16

Oh no! Is this a joke? Mellow Yellow or Mellow birds

NerrSnerr Tue 26-Sep-17 06:39:03

I think it'd end awful if they weren't Mellow by nature. Lots of teasing.

How about using a more popular name (it doesn't have to be John or Nicole- just something recognisable as a name) with a unique nickname, then if they make the choice not to be 'quirky and individual' they're not stuck with a name that doesn't fit or suit them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now