Talk

Advanced search

Alice or Marnie ?

(57 Posts)
bebeontheway Sat 23-Sep-17 14:18:43

We are expecting a girl & have narrowed it down to these two names.

Do we go classic with Alice, and risk the royal baby being given this name and it soaring in popularity?

Or do we go with Marnie? More unique and quirky. Not short for anything, just Marnie. Our other daughter is Lara. Are the sounds too similar 'Lar' and 'Mar' ?

Would love some opinions!

dreamingofsun Sat 23-Sep-17 14:33:52

i thought marnie was a shortening of margaret....or at least it was for the marnie i knew

bebeontheway Sat 23-Sep-17 14:40:38

Thank you dreamingofsun. Very helpful.

Yes, this is exactly one of our concerns!
That people wouldn't see Marnie as a 'proper' name....maybe Alice is 'safer' !

The name Marni originates from several languages, including Hebrew, meaning "rejoice", and Latin as a variant of "Marina", meaning "of the sea". It also has derivations from Gaelic and Swahili. "Marni" and "Marnie" are the two most common spellings of the female first name

Applesandpears56 Sat 23-Sep-17 14:41:27

Alice

MikeUniformMike Sat 23-Sep-17 14:43:45

Alice is lovely, classic etc.

PandaCat Sat 23-Sep-17 14:56:12

I prefer Alice to Marnie, I am biased though as my 5.5yr is called Alice, I think it's a pretty name!

She is the only one in her class, but it has become really popular lately (Top 20), so Marnie definitely if you'd rather not have a name that's so popular.

daisypond Sat 23-Sep-17 14:59:07

I would assume Marnie was short for something. I don't really like it as a name itself, I think because it make me think of "mardy", meaning sulky and moody. I like Marina a lot, though. There's a royal named Marina, too, somewhere in the UK,

early30smum Sat 23-Sep-17 15:10:09

Alice. It's so classic and pretty.

EATmum Sat 23-Sep-17 15:10:09

Alice. Totally biased as our DD2 has that name. And she's lovely. smile

ChocolateCrunch Sat 23-Sep-17 15:41:39

Prefer Alice to Marnie, but I do like Marina, do you not want to use that?

ProseccoPoppy Sat 23-Sep-17 15:45:40

Alice is lovely and really classic, Marnie isn't my cup of tea, don't hate it, just think Alice is much nicer. As pp said, Marina is nice and sounds less like a nickname/shortening.

EmmyInTheSticks Sat 23-Sep-17 15:54:50

I think Alice, as it's safe and that's a good thing with a name.

I think Marnie is sweet but I'd want something longer on the birth certificate. I think Margaret is nicer than Alice and not going to be as popular which would bother me.

lynmilne65 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:57:43

Alice

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 23-Sep-17 16:06:28

I personally couldn't use Marnie because she is a slapper on Geordie Shore.

Alice is nice if not quite popular.

baby410 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:17:53

Both are lovely, I prefer Marnie though. If our baby is a girl that's what we will be naming her.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 23-Sep-17 18:21:06

I think Lara and Marnie go very well together.
Alice is a lovely name though.

LucieLucie Sat 23-Sep-17 18:28:37

I prefer Alice, it's a classic and very pretty sounding name.
If you're concerned about Royal baby being called Alice too then why not go for Alicia so you have the option without being tied either way?

Sophronia Sat 23-Sep-17 19:12:48

Alice

TatianaLarina Sat 23-Sep-17 19:24:35

Marny

HeteronormativeHaybales Sat 23-Sep-17 19:26:47

'Prefer Alice to Marnie, but I do like Marina, do you not want to use that?'

This. Or Maren (long 'a' like in Marnie) is pretty, same derivation as Marina.

17caterpillars1mouse Sat 23-Sep-17 19:27:03

Marnie Alive would be gorgeous.

I've only ever met one Marnie and she was a gorgeous, kind hearted blonde haired toddler. She's be 10/11 now

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 23-Sep-17 19:27:47

Alice.

Crumbs1 Sat 23-Sep-17 19:28:32

Alice is definitely nicer than Marnie which is a bit WWC.

OhTheRoses Sat 23-Sep-17 19:36:09

Alice. May be biased. It doesn't seem to go out of fashion except for my generation it was Alison.

Knew a Marnie once and she was lovely. Never met another one since. She was the archetypal Sloane smile.

My grannie was Alice Marina. Her sister was Evelyn Helena. May have outed self but wanted to add some genre to it.

Dd BTW is 19, v blonde (A bit Alice in Wonderland quirky), and v clever. There were three in her year at every school she attended.

My name is in the Araminta/Hermione genre. I f***ing hate it. Needed to blend.

VioletCharlotte Sat 23-Sep-17 19:39:58

I love Alice, not so keen on Marnie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now