Talk

Advanced search

I think I want to change DD's name...

(167 Posts)
AutumnName Mon 28-Aug-17 20:11:17

DD was born on Halloween (2016) and I named her Autumn. I really like the look of it and the sound of it in my head. Since using it as a name, it doesn't seem to work as well as it did in my head? Lots of people don't get it. My mum actually makes jokes about it - "I can't wait to see my grandaughter who hasn't got a proper name" or she directly speaks to her and says "you might as well have been named 'Season'". No one else really says anything, but I feel like they think the same. I'm just really close to my mum, so she probably feels like she can say it.

sadsadsad

Jooni Mon 28-Aug-17 20:44:05

Jeez, she sounds fucking horrible, OP! confused

Is she like this about other stuff? Seems pretty weird that you could have a good relationship in general but she's being so deliberately and knowingly hurtful and undermining about this.

Primaryteach87 Mon 28-Aug-17 20:44:16

I think you should search for the 'stately homes' thread and post a really accurate list of things your mum does to undermine you and see what response you get,.... because honestly, it sounds like it is your mum and her frankly appalling behaviour that is the problem, not your daughters name which is an unusual but not unheard of, pretty name.

krustykittens Mon 28-Aug-17 20:45:15

OP, tell her if she doesn't stop it, she's not welcome. And it sounds like she chose your daughter's name years ago! Stand up to her!

Mammadragon Mon 28-Aug-17 20:45:28

She is incredibly rude.

I would take a stand and tell her that she's upsetting you so much that until she can learn to keep her trap shut you won't be seeing her-and she won't be seeing Autumn either. If she wants a relationship with you both she had better get over it.

sourpatchkid Mon 28-Aug-17 20:47:03

Your mum is being a complete bitch. That's really horrible of her.

Autumn is a beautiful name. Tell your mum
If she doesn't like it she doesn't have to see her. That will stop it

talonofthepithon Mon 28-Aug-17 20:48:17

Why would you bother even spending time with someone who insults your child's name like that? Your 'D'M sounds vile.

MadisonAvenue Mon 28-Aug-17 20:48:20

OP, it's such a pretty name! Your mother is being incredibly rude, she's had the pleasure giving her child a name she loved so now it's your turn and she should stop interfering.

MySecretToTell Mon 28-Aug-17 20:54:10

Wow! Your mum is totally out of order and out of touch with the names people are naming their kids in the 2000's.

Autumn is a perfectly normal name, it may not be in the top ten but I can assure you that your dd would be Tilly and then the initial of her surname or even a number once she's at school if you listen to your mother. Popular names are great and there is a reason why they are popular but find the thread about the woman in her 30's or 40's who wanted to change her name because there were so many Sarah's about.

If you love the name Autumn then don't change your dd's name but if you, not your mother, you don't like the name then change it. Just make sure you're not doing it to please your mum, from what you've written she's not a very nice mum or grandma.

My DM wasn't 100% keen on my dd's name when I first told her but as she's a lovely lady I only know that information because I know my mum well and I read her facial expression. She has never commented on disliking it and 3 years later I'm convinced that she loves it just as much as us because she loves her GD and after this time my dd's name has become part of her iyswim.

SweetEnough Mon 28-Aug-17 21:04:27

I wanted to call my Dd Autumn, my exdh wouldn't agree so I didn't sad. I know an Autumn who's in her 30's is a professional and has no issues with her name.

Go for it, stuff everyone else it's a beautiful name. I wish I had.

MrsJoyOdell Mon 28-Aug-17 21:08:52

The fuck? Your DM has had your children's names picked out for years? Fuck that. You might need to pop over to the stately homes thread!

Lenl Mon 28-Aug-17 21:20:02

Yep was going to say the same. That's bizarre OP. Come and see us at the stately home wink

SleepingStandingUp Mon 28-Aug-17 21:25:19

Another one who thinks its lovely. Just make the baby talk and say "No Grandma (or whichever name she DOESN'T want to be called) I love the name MY MOMMY picked"

ApuskiDoo Mon 28-Aug-17 21:29:17

Your mum sounds really unkind.

Autumn is lovely.

Enjoy your dd and do things YOUR way. Your mum's had her turn. Your dd is yours.

ppandj Mon 28-Aug-17 21:35:22

I like Autumn! I also know of a Summer, Winter and Wynter. I imagine that your DD will go to nursery and school with other children who have names that people may raise an eyebrow to but by the time they are adults it will not matter because it will be the norm. If you like it, keep it.

IdaBiscuit Mon 28-Aug-17 21:45:55

Next time your mum starts, look her dead in the eye and tell her to shut her fucking mouth.

Then smile and forget it. Autumn is lovely. Just out of interest, what would you change it to?

AutumnName Mon 28-Aug-17 21:47:43

Thanks everyone smile

If I were going to change it, it would probably be Violet.

AmysTiara Mon 28-Aug-17 21:50:01

Autumn is lovely. It's not that unusual either so I'm not sure why people are looking at you oddly. There's loads of actual weird names around these days.

Footle Mon 28-Aug-17 21:54:26

I know a poet and a toddler both called Autumn. They both seem very happy with the name.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 28-Aug-17 21:56:04

How dare your mum say that to your daughter! Yes she is too young to understand now but what will she say to her when she can understand. My mother would not be seeing my daughter until she could keep a civil tongue in her head!

SparkyBlue Mon 28-Aug-17 22:01:26

It's s gorgeous name. I also really like Summer as a girls name. They are really pretty names. Please ignore your mother OP.

TestTubeTeen Mon 28-Aug-17 22:03:21

"imagine if she ends up marrying someone with the last name Winter."

Aaaaaaaaahh!

The OP has given the obvious answer. I just couldn't help myself, sorry. It must be Stepford Wives Night Out on MN tonight.

LanaDReye Mon 28-Aug-17 22:10:33

Autumn and Violet are equally beautiful. I think Autumn Violet or Violet Autumn sound great. Go for how you feel. If you really want to change do it asap.

Your mum sounds highly manipulative, Can you try having a good few weeks break to see if life is easier with minimal contact?

TheAwkwardMother Mon 28-Aug-17 22:15:58

I think no matter what the name is something will come from it. I personally love it.

People laughed at my daughters name when I was pregnant and tried very hard for me to change my mind. The more some family members teased me the more I stuck to my guns. Her name is 'Eloise' which is not common at all where I am from. People laughed and asked if I had made it up, some made snarky comments and some people still to this day refuse to use the name and call her Ella instead😂! I don't care though because I have had some lovely comments on her name as a whole 'Eloise Elizabeth' and I still love it😍!

Bumdishcloths Mon 28-Aug-17 22:28:53

I have to admit I find it odd that you would consider changing a ten month old's named based on someone else's opinion. And people saying she's too young to know, a) how do you know, surely she looks round if her name is said and b) what about later on in life, wouldn't you find it strange to find out you had a lovely name and it got changed to something else?

namechangedmummy23 Mon 28-Aug-17 22:31:54

I think it's a beautiful name smile
We had our son an his name is Kaycee, we both love it and the spelling too but have had people say it's a girls name, I've never wanted to change it though and it really suits him, he is nearly 8 now, if you like it and it's not an obviously silly name then keep it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »