Talk

Advanced search

Jude or Elwood?

(89 Posts)
MrsC2012x Sun 20-Aug-17 08:24:32

Hello Lovely Ladies, I was hoping for some opinions on the following names, DD has quite an unusual name, but I always get the response "what a pretty name".
So I want a name that has a similar impact on people.
Jude Alexander: we love this name however it seems to be coming a very popular name which is what worries me as I don't want a name that is too popular.

Elwood George: This we do love as we are big fans of the Blues Brothers, its different but still quite classy sounding. Also I quite like the Idea of Woody as a nickname, however I'm worried this name is a little too "out there"

Opinions welcome x

Salmonpinkcords Sun 20-Aug-17 08:29:00

I much prefer Elwood to Jude. I don't think Jude is unusual at all - I know a few.
What's your daughters name? Just curious!

BertrandRussell Sun 20-Aug-17 08:32:01

Jude.

Elwood is awful, sorry. And Woody is bound to cause sniggers.

bibbertybobbityboo Sun 20-Aug-17 08:33:03

Jude

FrancisCrawford Sun 20-Aug-17 08:34:17

Elwood makes me think of the film Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart. While he's a lovely character, I'm not a fan of surnames as forenames. It doesn't come across as a "classy" name at all to me, I'm afraid.

And I really dislike the abbreviation of Woody, because it makes me think of a Woody Allan and his less than savoury past.

So I'd go with Jude.

CurrentlyNothing Sun 20-Aug-17 08:34:20

Was Elwood the name of David Cameron's son? I think it might have been.

Fernanie Sun 20-Aug-17 08:36:49

I love Elwood - though that's largely because my parents had a friend by that name when I was a child, and he was a lovely man. I dont know if I'd like the name in its own right. It is more unusual than Jude IME.

PhilODox Sun 20-Aug-17 08:37:58

DC's son is Aelward? Elf friend...

I know a couple of Judes, both of whom are lovely people.

AmyGardner Sun 20-Aug-17 08:39:14

Elwood is dreadful. Jude is lovely.

Bubblysqueak Sun 20-Aug-17 08:41:09

My first thought was Blues Brothers she I heard Elwood. Nude is nice though.

longingformore Sun 20-Aug-17 08:41:41

It's not the most unusual names, but Jude is lovely.

mumofone234 Sun 20-Aug-17 08:42:23

Jude Alexander is a great name.

Glumglowworm Sun 20-Aug-17 08:45:06

Jude Alexander by miles

Eolian Sun 20-Aug-17 08:48:25

Jude is lovely. Elwood is awful.

MrsC2012x Sun 20-Aug-17 08:54:15

Wow when I asked for opinions I didnt realise some of you would be so brutal, just a simple "i prefer..."
This is why I have stopped telling people the names we like, as im certain they wouldn't be so harsh if he was hear and already named.
Thank you for the positive responses though ladies x

AlpacasPackOwls Sun 20-Aug-17 08:59:17

Mark Owen's son is Elwood. I quite like it. I like both your options. Probably slightly prefer Jude Alexander as a combination but prefer Elwood to Jude.

MrsC2012x Sun 20-Aug-17 09:03:44

AlpacasPackOwls!

Thank you, that is my thought too. I think Jude Alexander sounds lovely, but Elwood is different yet still a name.
And you are right it is Mark Owen's Sons name x

Susiethetortoiseshellcat Sun 20-Aug-17 09:07:40

I love Jude but it is certainly not unusual. I meet Judes at every baby group I go to. Ellwood is more unusual and might be a bit more of a marmite name?

ScarletSienna Sun 20-Aug-17 09:09:21

I know no Judes at all and I love it!

BertrandRussell Sun 20-Aug-17 09:12:26

There were about 1000 Judes last year. So 1 in 300 baby boys.

You must live in a very Jude-heavy area if there 's one in every baby group!

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 20-Aug-17 09:15:29

Isn't Elwood the town where Darwin and Gumball live?

AmyGardner Sun 20-Aug-17 09:25:44

I'm sorry if your feelings are a bit hurt OP. sad

Think though - if you feel bad about the reaction to a name, how your son will feel having that name his whole life. That's the point of these boards.

MrsC2012x Sun 20-Aug-17 09:29:48

I think the point of the board was to ask which people "prefer", not which name they hate. We have clearly picked both of these names because we like them.

And I have never heard of anyone being slated because of their name. People are much politer once the baby is here and already named, which was the point I was trying to make.

Thanks for your opinion though.x

Jooni Sun 20-Aug-17 09:44:00

I much prefer Jude, but I wouldn't say it's at all unusual now. I know a few little ones and meet lots more at baby groups, softplay, etc.

Elwood is not my cup of tea but if you like it and want something unusual then that's what I'd go for. Woody is quite sweet as a nn.

BewareOfTheToddler Sun 20-Aug-17 09:45:09

I prefer Jude personally, I think it's a lovely name and I haven't met any myself so I don't think it's that widespread (DS is 2 so know lots of toddlers; SE England).

Elwood is certainly more unusual but I guess it depends where you live - Elwood or Woody would stand out less in London, say, than in some other areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now