Talk

Advanced search

Husband hates my favorite name! :(

(73 Posts)
Liv85 Tue 08-Aug-17 22:46:07

I'm 20 weeks pregnant of my second child and I'm so thrilled I'm having a girl! Only problem is my husband doesn't like my favorite name at all.
I really like the name Elise, but he says people will associate it with the car Lotus Elise and it's a chavvy name. I'm not from the UK, so I'm not sure this is what people would think of it. I'd LOVE to hear some honest opinions please!!!
The other names we've been discussing are:
Amelie
Maya
Vivienne
Luna
Erin

I'm very open for suggestions! Thank you!!!

Alittlepotofrosie Tue 08-Aug-17 22:46:57

Elise is pretty. I don't think most people would think of lotus.

furryelephant Tue 08-Aug-17 22:47:21

I've never heard of that car! I'd never ever associate it. I love the name Elise smileand I loooove Vivienne and Erin too!

RiverTam Tue 08-Aug-17 22:47:44

Elise is beautiful and I have never heard of a Lotus Elise. To be honest, that makes him sound quite chavvy!

Bobbiepin Tue 08-Aug-17 22:48:00

Elise over Maya definitely. The Mia/Maya/Maia thing is quite common (used lots not chavvy).

I would never have thought Lotus Elise but if that's where his mind is you aren't gonna win that.

I love Erin and Vivienne

wobblywonderwoman Tue 08-Aug-17 22:48:47

It is not chavy at all. Eloise is another option

Scribblegirl Tue 08-Aug-17 22:49:27

Fur Elise predates the Lotus, I think wink

Would Eloise work as a compromise?

LanaDReye Tue 08-Aug-17 22:49:34

Luna and Erin get my vote.

NanooCov Tue 08-Aug-17 22:51:02

It's not chavvy at all and most people would not associate it with the Lotus. If they did, it wouldn't be a huge problem anyway would it?

Enidblyton1 Tue 08-Aug-17 22:53:29

I know several girls called Elise (pronounced El - ees rather than El-eez) and have never thought of Lotus. Your DH is overthinking this!!

My favourite of your names by a long way is Vivienne. Love the shortening Vivi

leghoul Tue 08-Aug-17 22:53:46

Elise is not remotely anything other than lovely. I also really like Erin.
Nobody will think of a car. That's a ridiculous thing to say! Maybe if you chose the first name Lotus, but even then not the first thing I'd think of.

ThinkIlikeit Tue 08-Aug-17 22:55:06

Always liked Elise. I like all your other names too apart from Vivienne.

LorLorr2 Tue 08-Aug-17 22:57:13

Is he having a laugh, Elise isn't a chavvy name at all and you know you'd get honesty about that on MN! Maybe you could tell him to ask people what they think of the name so he sees firsthand that nobody thinks of a car grin x

PrincessPlod Tue 08-Aug-17 22:57:48

I wouldn't have said a Elise was Chavvy actually I think it's pretty

LilaoftheGreenwood Tue 08-Aug-17 23:02:35

"he says people will associate it with the car Lotus Elise"

Lol they really, really won't. Most people won't even know the car, I've only heard of it because I grew up with a car obsessed father! It's a popular, regularly used name with its own history.

But if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it even if his reasons are rubbish. Of your others I like Vivienne and Erin.

LilaoftheGreenwood Tue 08-Aug-17 23:03:14

Actually, Lotus is also lovely, maybe thank him for his inspiration and add it to your list!

Lindy2 Tue 08-Aug-17 23:12:07

It's my DD's middle name. Its not chavvy at all. Actually it is a rather elegant, classic name.

3luckystars Tue 08-Aug-17 23:12:50

I loved a particular name and my husband hated it. I tried and tried, couldn't talk him around so I had to give up on it.

I would be unfair to force him to have a child that he loved so much and have to call them by a name he didn't like.

It was an awesome name though! (but really, it probably wouldn't have suited her.)

I don't agree with your husband though and think Elise is a lovely name, it would make me think of the mother in Family Ties.

I think you will probably have to pick a name you both like.

BewareOfDragons Tue 08-Aug-17 23:16:43

I've never heard of the car. The name Elise is lovely.

Also like Vivienne.

bellabelly Tue 08-Aug-17 23:19:56

I do think it's lovely. He could always call her Ellie for short. Just keep referring to her as Elise and get him used to it. You've got 20 odd weeks to wear him down...

Mumsnut Tue 08-Aug-17 23:21:22

I know an Elisia, if that helps?

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 08-Aug-17 23:22:51

Vivienne ❤️❤️❤️

Mrscropley Tue 08-Aug-17 23:25:05

I have driven a Lotus Elise and it is a fab car to name a dc after. .
My dd has a friend called Kia, my old neighbour has a dd called Mercedes, all names come from somewhere!!
Just not Corsa or Fiesta. .

phoolani Tue 08-Aug-17 23:29:49

Luna. I bloody love Luna.
Dh hated my preferred name for ds. I waited until I was in the three days post birth phrase when ANYTHING could make me sob uncontrollably and through the tears sobbed that as I'd given birth to him and knew he had be called this name, he should - sob, shudder - be called that. He was, it really does suit him and dh really likes it now and agrees it's a great name for him. Anyway, if you're going to name her after a car, at least it's a cool one. It's not like you're calling her Duster or Peugeot 306.

squoosh Tue 08-Aug-17 23:32:38

Elise is gorgeous and the best name on your list. I had no idea about the car connection.

But if he hates it, he hates it. Vivienne is my second favourite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now