Talk

Advanced search

Atlas

(103 Posts)
idontknow54789 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:00:22

Is this a good name? Personally I LOVE it but not sure if it's an acceptable name? My DM scoffed at it when my brother mentioned it a while ago so got me a bit worried in case we do decide on it.

Thought? Does anyone know an Atlas?

HeartburnCentral Fri 04-Aug-17 13:00:48

No.

Terfing Fri 04-Aug-17 13:02:05

I love it, but wouldn't be brave enough to use it!

DearMrDilkington Fri 04-Aug-17 13:02:38

It's awful.

Orangebird69 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:02:49

I don't know one. I would imagine someone with that name to be some great big adobe's beefcake kind of guy. Unless you can guarantee any future son of yours is going to turn our like that, it'll look ironic...

mojawupe Fri 04-Aug-17 13:03:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Orangebird69 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:03:38

Adonis, not adobe's. Bloody autocorrect confused

IWouldBeSuperb Fri 04-Aug-17 13:06:00

I've heard worse, but would agree with Terfing about needing to be brave to use it - anything other than a very muscular build could lead to teasing, and that's a lot of pressure!

BelafonteRavenclaw Fri 04-Aug-17 13:08:19

My DM scoffed at DS2's name. She still isn't keen. Don't let others opinions put you off of you love a name.

idontknow54789 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:10:54

Why would child have to be particularly muscular? More so than a Zeuz or Odin (I know boys with both these names)?

MoonPower Fri 04-Aug-17 13:11:05

Please don't do it.

TheAntiBoop Fri 04-Aug-17 13:13:36

I would assume a hulk of a man with that name too given who Atlas was

I'd expect a Zeus to have a big beard....

TheAntiBoop Fri 04-Aug-17 13:15:21

Tbh a kid can get away with almost anything as a name

I always think about an adult with the name instead

MoonPower Fri 04-Aug-17 13:15:55

A friend of mine has a DD named Unity. It makes me laugh (to myself) every time I hear them call her. I get what they were thinking when they thought of it, but it just sounds really wanky when they call the name out across the playground. Worse the poor girl gets called Uni for short - which just makes me think of university. WHY lumber your child with such a name?

BertrandRussell Fri 04-Aug-17 13:28:58

If you think that you need to be brave to use a name, then don't. It's not you that has to be brave- it's the person who has the name foisted on him!

Sluttybartfast Fri 04-Aug-17 13:33:13

Why would child have to be particularly muscular? More so than a Zeuz or Odin (I know boys with both these names)?

Because Atlas holds the world up! (And I'm not particularly in favour of naming children after gods, either.) Seriously, he's the original swole bro.

I'm voting no. A slight or glasses-wearing Atlas has a lifetime of pisstaking ahead of him.

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 13:34:36

It's quite literally a "weight of the world" kind of name.

Too much for anyone to (ahem) "carry".

What else is in your list?

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 13:37:38

How about Apollo or Hermes?

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 13:38:09

Or Atticus for a similar sound?

idontknow54789 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:40:05

SerfTerf

I'm not sure I dare say now! They're all quite 'unusual' but all have particular meaning for me and DP. Including:

Indigo (Indy for short)
Wren
Bodhi
Robin
Finch

TheAntiBoop Fri 04-Aug-17 13:42:35

Listen to Bertrand!

On your list I really don't like finch. It sounds like a nickname of a shady character

Not a fan of wren either and I suspect misspelling and people assumin you are a Star Wars fan

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 13:42:56

They're ALL lovely TBH.

I think Finch is my favourite.

TheAntiBoop Fri 04-Aug-17 13:44:33

Are these all for a boy - indigo and wren seem like girls names.

I like Robin best out of the list (but they are my favourite bird)

Orangebird69 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:49:36

Finch - shitbreak - Stifflers mom - big fat Nope.

Indigo & Wren are girls names to me.
My cat is called Bodie so not keen on Bodhi.
Robin is ok. Just.

BertrandRussell Fri 04-Aug-17 13:50:40

You can't call a boy Wren or Finch! Imagine being a 6ft 15 stone rugger bugger.......

Indigo is OK- Inigo is an old English name with a similar sound?

MommaGee Fri 04-Aug-17 13:51:43

I wouldn't name a child something g they will use at school.
Atlas.
Dictionary
Compass

If I met a guy called Atlas I might think it quite continental and cool but they have to get through school first

Amatree Fri 04-Aug-17 13:52:41

Why would you do that to a poor child. It's truly awful!

MrsXx4 Fri 04-Aug-17 13:58:51

I have to think what they will sound like as adults, during job interviews etc. Or for instance if I were to tell my friends that I've just started dating a guy called 'Atlas'....I'm not sure I could do it with a straight face (sorry).
Just as a side note, my MIL named my DH 'Ringo' for a day when he was born. I'm not sure I would have even gone through with a first date with someone called Ringo, thank god she didn't keep it to that!

chowmeinchick Fri 04-Aug-17 13:59:18

That's up there with the thread 'shall I call my baby rock' 😂😂

Orangedaisy Fri 04-Aug-17 14:03:34

Wasn't one of the gladiators (itv show) called atlas?

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 14:05:16

I'm getting immediate "sexy men" connotations from every name I read today.

Finch = Jon Finch
Bodhi = gorgeous surfer dude AND "Bodie from the Professionals"
Rock = Rock Hudson

I must be overwrought or ovulating. Or both smile

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 04-Aug-17 14:05:50

Sluttybartfast Fri 04-Aug-17 14:07:49

Yep! grin

So OP, as long as you're sure your baby will look like this, it'll be fine.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 04-Aug-17 14:09:12

Sorry posted too soo. blush Atlas from Gladiators was my first thought too.

As for your others

Indigo (Indy for short) Indy is Indiana Jones to me although I do know a little Indy.
Wren is a girl's name
Bodhi is Patrick Swayze in Point Break
Robin love this for a boy
Finch quite like this but it's a character from American Pie and I fear that would be the association rather than say, Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird.

SeaSeeker Fri 04-Aug-17 14:35:25

I think Kirstie Allsop called one of her children Atlas and that would be enough to put me off! But if you can rescue it from KA, go for it!

Bea1985 Fri 04-Aug-17 14:38:57

Nooooooo please don't do it! He'll have the piss taken out of him.

How about Atticus?

LaurieFairyCake Fri 04-Aug-17 14:45:18

Robin is the only normal name

The others sound like you're barking, drunk or stoned.

Mrsknackered Fri 04-Aug-17 14:58:46

No, I've heard of 2 people recently having an Atlas and it's just so them.
Huge house, massive car but they're oh so down with nature.

Same with Bodhi. And I have a relative with this name!

Mrsknackered Fri 04-Aug-17 15:01:43

Love Robin though

TSSDNCOP Fri 04-Aug-17 15:04:46

Poseidon

MammieBear Fri 04-Aug-17 15:12:36

If your into mythology there's nothing wrong with it, it's a very interesting story behind Atlas how about Lysander, probably more acceptable.

MoonPower Fri 04-Aug-17 15:30:12

Well you DID post on mumsnet OP so you are likely to get all kinds of opinions.

Re: your list I think..,,

Indigo (Indy for short) - nice.
Wren - girl's name.
Bodhi - nice.
Robin - nice.
Finch - bit American.

I think Indi & Bodhi are nicest - both better than Atlas! smile

IThoughtYouSaidGin Fri 04-Aug-17 15:31:50

I really like Atlas.

I also know adults called stone and brick (both British). IMO Atlas is soft in comparison!

Huffletuff Fri 04-Aug-17 15:32:59

I have a large, hairy dog called Atlas.

Crabbo Fri 04-Aug-17 15:49:05

I love it. I like all your choices apart from Wren and Robin. Wren is a little bit weedy I think and Robin is ok but I don't think it's cool or unusual like the others.

pinkblink Fri 04-Aug-17 15:50:59

Not a fan of finch as I think of American pie but the others are all lovely, Atlas is unusual without being absurd

lizzieoak Fri 04-Aug-17 15:54:38

Sorry, don't like Atlas at all. I don't like the sound and also it sounds like a strong-man name. What if he's weedy? Names like Desiree and Atlas are just begging the kid to be the opposite.

Robin or maybe Bodhi are good.

tigerdog Fri 04-Aug-17 15:58:56

I know an Atlas! He's adorable but he's tiny like his parents, so it'll be a slightly ironic name. It suits him and it suits his family who are lovely and not at all pretentious but are quite alternative.

nooka Fri 04-Aug-17 17:03:08

Atlas just makes me think of maps. It doesn't sound like a possible person name to me at all even though I'm aware of the Greek origins. I don't think it's a good name to give a child at all, plus it has no obvious diminutives so no easy alternatives for your child apart from using a completely different name.

Robin is lovely
Bodhi is fine for a surfer or hippyish family/community.
Wren is much better for a girl
Prefer Inigo to Indigo
Finch is just odd

loubar101 Fri 04-Aug-17 18:22:03

I know a boy called Finch, not keen on it. I like Indy however

villainousbroodmare Fri 04-Aug-17 18:27:07

They all sound like girls' names to me, bar Finch which is a type of bird and makes me think of small mean things like inch and pinch and itch. I reckon Atlas would be hard to carry off too if you can excuse the pun!

Sophronia Fri 04-Aug-17 18:35:16

I love Atlas! Not brave enough to use it myself though.

MrsCharlieD Fri 04-Aug-17 18:45:46

I don't like Atlas but the rest of your list I like. Bodhi was on my list too , that's my favourite.

octoberfarm Fri 04-Aug-17 18:56:13

I like all of them! Although Bodhi slightly less, and I'd normally consider Wren to be very much a girls name (though I live in the States so it might be different in the UK).

Have you considered Atticus?

ScarletSienna Fri 04-Aug-17 19:01:39

I like your style of names and had everything like them vetoed by DH. If I am honest, I'm glad he said no and am now very much in agreement with Bertrand-it's not you who has to live up to the name or be brave having it.

However...I like Bodhi, Indigo is ok (but like Inigo more) and I like Atticus which is similar sounding to Atlas.

Finch and Wren I really dislike and Finch is most definitely Shitbreak!

YouLookTiredDaddyPig Fri 04-Aug-17 19:14:36

My friend has a german shepherd with this name.

Suits a dog more than a person, I think. Kind of like Zeus and other god names.

milosmummy16 Fri 04-Aug-17 19:38:20

I love it and the other names you have mentioned, altho i am not sure I would be brave enough to use it as it's a very unusual name. But if you like it that's all that matters, don't let anyone put you off!

MikeUniformMike Fri 04-Aug-17 19:44:35

Indigo makes me think of indignation

ShotsFired Fri 04-Aug-17 19:47:21

Its a lucky co-incidence that most of the list of "meaningful" names to the Op also happen to be super-trendy and right now names too... hmm

It's ok to just say if you like something which is super popular! How did all the Ava/Lily/Rose/Mae/Grace parents pretend otherwise in the last few years?

ShotsFired Fri 04-Aug-17 19:48:04

And Atlas - no way unless you plan on actively disliking your own child.

namechange20050 Fri 04-Aug-17 19:48:35

I like finch, wren (though I know 2 girls called this). Atlas is ok but your little boy may end up short and weedy and it may seem a bit silly! Bodhi is awful. Dense surfer dude name.

Puffpaw Fri 04-Aug-17 19:51:31

I love atlas, and robin.

Ummmmgogo Fri 04-Aug-17 19:57:04

atlas is the best one on your list. a man called atlas could have any body type don't worry about that. mn baby name board has very unusual taste in names so ask rl friends and family too if too many people on here say yuk, atlas??? how about ptlotemy instead! xxx

Mumof56 Fri 04-Aug-17 19:59:58

Atlas, brings to mind a book of maps rather than a hulk of a man.

Robin or Indigo are fine imo

ScaramangasThirdNipple Fri 04-Aug-17 20:03:05

I don't love it but it's not awful.

<shrug>

^^ geddit grin

ScaramangasThirdNipple Fri 04-Aug-17 20:03:56

Although I'd be horrified if anyone thought I was an Ayn Rand fan. so that puts me off it.

Icantreachthepretzels Fri 04-Aug-17 20:09:27

Atlas is better than Pegasus at least! However, I still wouldn't. Children will associate it with maps until they learn about the mythology and then they will compare him to a muscular giant (and possibly not favourably!)

If you like mythology names how about Aeneas or Anchises? They're Princes of Troy and Aeneas is the main character of the Aeneid - far less likely to come up in Primary school than Atlas, who appears in the Heracles myth.

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Fri 04-Aug-17 20:10:53

I tried and failed to convince DH of Atlas but I love it. Most of your other names were options too. I think it's fine to go with Atlas, if he hates it he can change it.

ScaramangasThirdNipple Fri 04-Aug-17 20:11:45

Aeneas is too anus like.

SuperBeagle Fri 04-Aug-17 20:24:01

It would only work if you were an objectively cool person, and there was a high probability of your child being able to pull it off.

The likelihood of that is slim for most people.

Mrscropley Fri 04-Aug-17 20:25:16

Where I live it's a cleaning company. .

Icantreachthepretzels Fri 04-Aug-17 20:37:07

Aeneas is too anus like.

definite possibility now you point it out, but it is pronounced a -nee -uhss with a short a sound (as in 'at') and the stress on nee so it really only has the 'us' in common.

ScaramangasThirdNipple Fri 04-Aug-17 20:41:10

That does sound better than my pronunciation but philistines like me, of which there are many, would just see anus.

SerfTerf Fri 04-Aug-17 20:42:30

<shrug>

^^ geddit

grin

Get you being all literary and shit smile

BertrandRussell Fri 04-Aug-17 20:47:19

Well at least Aeneas didn't have sex with/murder horribly anyone in his family, as far as I remember.......

Unlike most of the characters from mythology/literature mumsnetters usually want to name their children after.

Mamabear4180 Fri 04-Aug-17 20:47:54

My friends cat is called Atlas. I can see many more pets with this name actually. It sounds like a pets name rather than a child. However I can't talk because I like Phoenix as a middle name. My advice is to have a more ordinary first name and stick Atlas in the middle but it's your call

Ohherewegoagain Fri 04-Aug-17 20:48:43

Definitely not.

Lenl Fri 04-Aug-17 21:00:56

Atlas doesn't do it for me at all.
Bodhi I see on forums all the time. I think there are going to be lots of long haired middle class Bodhi's starting school in four or five years.
Robin is nice, and I really like Indy too - less keen on Indigo.
Finch just reminds me of this band of the same name youtu.be/_SeQPHj41AQ

ScaramangasThirdNipple Fri 04-Aug-17 21:02:16

Finch reminds me of the guy from American Pie who shags Stifler's Mom. Highbrow stuff.

Icantreachthepretzels Fri 04-Aug-17 21:04:28

That does sound better than my pronunciation but philistines like me, of which there are many, would just see anus.

grin

Well at least Aeneas didn't have sex with/murder horribly anyone in his family, as far as I remember.......

No, indeed. His mother was Aphrodite and he was very respectful to his ailing old father (the aforementioned Anchises), helping him escape the sack of Troy, before leading a merry band of warriors to safety in Italy and founding the pre Rome that Romulus and Remus would later found.

All in all - not a bad little namesake.

(The beginning of Anchises has a hard 'ch' like Anchor - he isn't called An cheeses: Ank eye seas)

SpikeGilesSandwich Fri 04-Aug-17 21:56:03

Atlas is perhaps a little old fashioned these days, how about something more modern like Satnav?
wink

GinIsIn Fri 04-Aug-17 22:00:57

I had a horse called Atlas once. For a pet, fine. For a human, hell no.

Wren is a girl's name.

Finch is the guy who ahagged Stiffler's Mom.

buttercup54321 Fri 04-Aug-17 22:03:40

Awful names. All of them. Robin is just about passable,

MsPassepartout Fri 04-Aug-17 22:08:47

Atlas just says "book of maps" to me.

myusernameisnotmyusername Fri 04-Aug-17 22:09:25

I like it but it's not a name.

MikeUniformMike Fri 04-Aug-17 22:10:22

I love Satnav. Would it be ok for a girl?

Coconutspongexo Fri 04-Aug-17 22:17:17

Isn't Wren a nickname for Catherine? My cousins nickname is Wren as is a uni friend both called Catherine though.

Robin and Bodhi are the nicest you've mentioned

SuperBeagle Fri 04-Aug-17 22:29:49

Dipping No, Wren is a name in its own right. It's a nature name.

Argeles Fri 04-Aug-17 22:33:22

I think Atlas is gorgeous and exotic, very strong and unique, with connotations/aspirations of travel.

It sounds Arabic, and I think it's a perfectly acceptable name. Go for it!

chowmeinchick Fri 04-Aug-17 22:37:24

I love satnav. Would it be okay for a girl?
😂

MoonPower Fri 04-Aug-17 22:45:35

A to Z - a nice old fashioned name. Could suit a boy or a girl grin

MikeUniformMike Fri 04-Aug-17 22:51:42

Atoz. I like that too. Feel I could find my way home with these names. Compass anyone?

ShotsFired Sat 05-Aug-17 08:22:09

@MikeUniformMike Compass anyone?

North is taken. I suppose it also rules out West as well.

South-South-East is available though...

MissJC Sat 05-Aug-17 08:26:24

When I was picking a name for my DD I always tried to imagine if it's a name I would be happy to introduce myself to someone as.

Hello! My name is Atlas...

At least his future wife would be able to sing 🎶 at laaaaaaaaaaassssssttttt I feel my world has come home🎶

Sorry it's early and I need caffeine grin

MiniMaxi Sat 05-Aug-17 09:55:09

Atlas was on our long list - kind of as a joke but we both quite liked it. It was in our baby name book so is actually a name!

DollyLlama Sat 05-Aug-17 10:35:45

I love it, I don't know if I would be brave enough to use it though.

I asked about an unusual name on here a few weeks back and got a resounding no which tbh did the job at putting me off.

If you love it, I wouldn't read the comments!

Topseyt Sat 05-Aug-17 21:35:32

A no from me, I'm afraid.

If someone introduced themselves to me as Atlas I would struggle to keep a straight face. I wouldn't saddle a child with it.

The only name on your list that I find even vaguely acceptable is Robin, but I still don't actually like it.

NikiBabe Sat 05-Aug-17 22:50:38

It has rather negative meanings: Atlas was a Titan condemned to hold up the sky for eternity.

Like so

Shemozzle Mon 07-Aug-17 01:42:46

I love it. I had it on my list last time, but everyone drops there t's where I live (including myself often) and I realised it sounds shit like that.

OkPedro Mon 07-Aug-17 02:03:06

Is Bodhi pronounced like Brody but without the R?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »