Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wrong pronunciation of name

(11 Posts)
amarchi Tue 04-Jul-17 12:05:45

My daughters name is Gabrielle Amara, however because we live in a Spanish speaking country everyone calls her Gabriella, even my son (who thinks he is spanish), not sure what to do, can't keep correcting people, I have just left and no longer correct but what will happen when she goes to school. I 100% prefer Gabrielle, Is Gabrielle that hard to pronounce, in a Spanish speaking tongue I know they seem to prefer names ending in 'A'. Completely off topic any suggestions for a nickname maybe that will help, please not gabby.

ScarletSienna Tue 04-Jul-17 12:16:05

The nickname Elle may help. I agree, Gabrielle is a lovely name.

Pemba Tue 04-Jul-17 12:34:51

Does it matter that much, it is just a slight variation? Being Spanish speaking it probably comes more naturally to them to stick an 'a' on the end. Surely not much different to having your name pronounced differently by people due to their different accents? My daughters name is pronounced 2 different ways by different groups of people, - a bigger difference that the one between Gabrielle and Gabriella actually - and it doesn't bother her at all. Makes life more interesting! It is basically the same name.

MikeUniformMike Tue 04-Jul-17 13:29:11

I think that somebody Spanish might think of Gabrielle as sounding like a boy's name and would assume a girl would be Gabriela. The LL is a different sound in Spanish so she might get her real name pronounce as Gabrielyeh.

amarchi Tue 04-Jul-17 17:19:41

I didn't realise that the ll is a different sound in Spanish, I think I will just accept she will be known as gabriela at least whilst here. My son calls her Gabriella I find myself saying it sometimes as well

AdalindSchade Tue 04-Jul-17 17:22:59

It's pretty important to consider local pronunciations if you are naming a child in another country. Do you not speak any Spanish? They pronounce all syllables. Almost everyone will pronounce the E at the end.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 04-Jul-17 17:25:17

My name was pronounced slightly differently when I lived abroad- didn't matter at all,I think my parents just accepted that's how it was said there than in the UK .

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 04-Jul-17 17:26:16

That last sentence is all kinds of wrong but I'm hot and cooking tea and posting- forgive megrin

PattyPenguin Tue 04-Jul-17 20:19:42

When I lived in France those Brits I knew with names that weren't the same in French were instantly given new names. There was even one called Christopher, who was dubbed Christian, because it was a much more common name than Christophe.

You get assimilated.

Enidblyton1 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:28:08

I really wouldn't worry about Gabrielle/Gabriella. Very soon she'll probably have a nickname, which you won't have any control over. When she is known as Gabs or Gabby, you may be wishing for Gabriella to reappear!

amarchi Wed 05-Jul-17 22:48:26

Oh gosh i do dislike the Nickname gabby, I know it's a high possibility, right now she is being called amara by my family, they prefer that name and gabriella by everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now