Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Millie

(36 Posts)
rach217 Sat 17-Jun-17 21:33:30

What are people's thoughts on the name Millie? Me & husband know we are having a girl but really struggling with girls names.

At first I loved it & it's by far my favourite that we've both agreed on - others are Sophie & Isabella. I know it's our choice but just wondered generally on people's thoughts. Xxx

villainousbroodmare Sat 17-Jun-17 21:37:22

You're not in Belfast obviously! I find it very inelegant, v different to your other choices.

acornsandnuts Sat 17-Jun-17 21:47:42

It's lovely. I really like it.

FavouriteWasteofSlime Sat 17-Jun-17 21:50:33

I work with children and hear it all the time.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 17-Jun-17 21:54:06

I prefer Isabella or Sophie.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 17-Jun-17 21:55:06

I would use it in a heartbeat if I had another baby.

SuperBeagle Sat 17-Jun-17 22:13:34

I really ought to like this name because my favourite movie ever is Thoroughly Modern Millie and the character is brilliant, but I just don't.

There's nothing wrong with it, I've just not warmed to it.

Sophronia Sat 17-Jun-17 22:23:42

Sophie and Isabella are nicer. Millie is a bit cutesy.

DramaAlpaca Sat 17-Jun-17 22:25:07

I suppose it's OK if it's short for something, like Millicent or Romilly, but it's a bit insubstantial as a name in its own right.

I prefer your other suggestions, especially Sophie.

rach217 Sat 17-Jun-17 22:38:47

Thanks all, I think I may be swaying towards Sophie now! I remembered my friend has a dog called Millie, gosh it's so hard!

sonlypuppyfat Sun 18-Jun-17 03:28:17

Millie is the word for lady bits in our house, sorry

CherriesInTheSnow Sun 18-Jun-17 03:33:07

I love Millie smile We find out the gender of our pregnancy next week and I am considering it for sure.

If you worry that it's too nickname, have you considered Molly? Very cute and a definite full name!

ColourfulOrangex Sun 18-Jun-17 03:38:43

Isabella is my favourite out of your choices but then I grew up with at least 4 Sophie's in my class at school, same as Emma and Emily so I'm not a fan, Millie is oki, what about Amelia?

I think girls are a lot harder to name

RuthB4 Sun 18-Jun-17 06:08:46

I know a little girl called Millie and her full name is Amelia. I think it's lovely! I love your other choices too but because they're so popular i find them a bit boring now, sorry!

I love the suggestion of Molly!

Or what about....
Chloe
Lucinda
Emily
Sadie
Neve
Poppy
Briar
Phoebe
Thea
Tabitha
Bethany

YoureNotASausage Sun 18-Jun-17 06:19:16

Villain, Why is Millie bad in Belfast? What does it mean?

rach217 Sun 18-Jun-17 08:26:40

One of my big concerns in popularity & boringness but my hubby is all about the plain names!! Ahhh it's so hard, I love Phoebe & quite like Emily @RuthB4 and I love Molly & Amelia but hubby doesn't! Haha!

Hothothotsummer Sun 18-Jun-17 08:29:59

I like it. I know one short for Amelia.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 18-Jun-17 08:59:19

Anna is a lovely plain name. Millie is common enough round here now. Millicent is an option so she a choice later. Very unusual not plain but lovely.
What about Leah or Lois?

FavouriteWasteofSlime Sun 18-Jun-17 09:12:32

Amelia is massively popular, I know so many people with an Amelia. I guess it just depends if you're bothered about her being the tenth one in her class at school.

rach217 Sun 18-Jun-17 09:30:33

@favouritewasteofslime this is one of my massive concerns, I was one of 5 Rachel's in my class & I don't want that for my baby girl! But only names my hubby half agrees with me on our popular names! Luckily we have a while to decide xxx

CrownOfPrawns Sun 18-Jun-17 16:41:47

Dog name, there are loads round here.

FlaviaAlbia Sun 18-Jun-17 16:50:13

I came on to say the same as villainous!
It's a derogatory term used against girls or woman here, derived from mill workers I think.

Saying that, I know one, though they'd be in their 50's.

FizzyGreenWater Sun 18-Jun-17 17:17:46

Not great.

Not horrid, but a bit cutesy, a bit dull and certainly a bit overused in some places.

Sophie/Isabella are both much better - yes, popular if not more so - but classic, which is definitely NOT the case with Millie.

17caterpillars1mouse Mon 19-Jun-17 10:27:07

I like Millie but spelt Milly

I also like Sophie

And I like Isabella but don't feel it fits all children. I know 3 Isabella's and one it fits perfectly but the other 2 not at all

blahthisistoohard Mon 19-Jun-17 11:31:34

Have always loved the name Millie but recently have swayed towards Mila as an alternative.

Sophie also nice but every other girl seems to be called that at the moment so that would sadly put me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now