Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

how to name a child graceful in english

(57 Posts)
shuangnick Mon 12-Jun-17 08:15:32

I live in China and my boy has been 2years old and it's time for him to have an English name now, a real English name which doesn't look like be given by chinese such as Jack, Peter. his chinese name is Reipeng which pronounced closely as Ray Pun in english, I'd like to name him a little bit similar to his chinese name in pronunciation, or maybe something else meaningful. would u give me any advice? thx a lot.

clearsommespace Mon 12-Jun-17 08:17:49

What is the meaning of his Chinese name?

herebehippos Mon 12-Jun-17 08:18:05

Do you mean you want a boys name meaning graceful? Or a boys name that sounds natural in English?

BalaRua Mon 12-Jun-17 08:19:01

Raymond sounds quite similar?

LotisBlue Mon 12-Jun-17 08:19:07

Raphael
Reuben

LotisBlue Mon 12-Jun-17 08:19:57

I thought Raymond too, but it sounds very dated to English speakers

Veterinari Mon 12-Jun-17 08:20:47

Why does he need an English name? I lived in Asia and always found this custom odd. English people don't give their babies Chinese names confused and Chinese names are no harder for English people to pronounce. If you're worried you could just shorten to Rei, which would be perfectly pronouncable in English

Joinourclub Mon 12-Jun-17 08:21:29

Raymond (old fashioned and little used though)
Reuben (very popular)
Robert

LorLorr2 Mon 12-Jun-17 08:23:20

Ray is a name that is sometimes used here, I suppose it's short for Raymond but the one I know has always just been known as 'Ray' alone.

shuangnick Mon 12-Jun-17 08:25:32

i'd like his name sounds natural in English, and of course it'll be better if it means graceful as well as sounds natural. maybe IABU

barrygetamoveonplease Mon 12-Jun-17 08:26:45

Ray is fine in English.
Simon is a pleasant name, if you want something different from his Chinese name.

MiaZadora Mon 12-Jun-17 08:28:53

Ray Pung sounds WAY too like raping so I'd leave it Ray or Raymond and not put anything that sounds like Pung after it.

Raymond is old fashioned but distinguished.

Why do you have to decide now? If he's already two, then it's not on his birth certificate, so if I under correctly it is not carved in stone. You could come back to this decision at any point.

I'm fascinated by the fact that you consider that you need an English name!

shuangnick Mon 12-Jun-17 08:29:39

his chinese name means smart&flourish

ebarinov2305 Mon 12-Jun-17 08:29:58

Maybe Ryan?

KarmaNoMore Mon 12-Jun-17 08:31:35

Why does he need an English name? I lived in Asia and always found this custom odd.

Because English people are not good at making an effort in remembering foreigner's names?

Obviously, you don't need an English name if you are not an Asian person interacting with people outside China, but if you are, you better get one before everybody starts calling you Ding Dong.hmm

I found the preñactice reprehensible, but understand why it happens.

crumpet Mon 12-Jun-17 08:32:25

Ray would be nice in that case. It's a traditional English name that everyone would recognise (it can also be used as a short form of Raymond). It is also used in phrases such as "ray of sunshine"/ray of light", which would then meet your preference for a graceful/natural meaning.

RelaxMax Mon 12-Jun-17 08:35:31

Use Ray. It's an English name, and everybody will know how to spell and pronounce it.

PlymouthMaid1 Mon 12-Jun-17 08:36:04

Ryan is a good choice as it is a modern name but I think I would stick with Rei as it is easy enough for the English tongue to handle. You shouldn't have to actually have a different name but I suppose some are harder to remember than others or sound wrong.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 12-Jun-17 08:36:50

Ray would be lovely and better than Raymond (too old fashioned)

Otherwise Ralph (Ralf)

Pikachuwithyourmouthclosed Mon 12-Jun-17 08:38:31

Quinlan means graceful. It's Irish, not English. It's a lovely name.

Morewashingtodo Mon 12-Jun-17 08:41:42

English names don't tend to have meanings in the way that Chinese names do, OP. So finding something with a specific meaning will be almost impossible. English speakers choose names based on them liking the sound of it.

I would go for Ray or something completely different that you just like the sound of.

CaipirinhasAllRound Mon 12-Jun-17 08:41:49

Rupert?

MollyHuaCha Mon 12-Jun-17 08:42:06

Shuangnick ni hao. Ray would be a great name. I would go for Ray rather than Raymond because the final 'd' would be lost with the way Chinese people would pronounce it, when he is in a situation where Chinese people are speaking in English with western people.

In Scottish the meaning of Ray is 'grace'.
In Latin the meaning is 'radiant'.
In French the meaning is 'regal'.
In German the meaning is 'guards wisely'.
In English the meaning is 'counsellor'.

Loopytiles Mon 12-Jun-17 08:43:53

Ray.

Booksandcrocheting Mon 12-Jun-17 08:48:43

Ryan is quite a modern fashionable name in the UK.Jack is also popular in the UK at the moment so would be an OK choice. Plenty of UK teens called Ryan or Jack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: