Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we have a double first name without a hyphen?

(47 Posts)
BoraThirch Thu 01-Jun-17 22:40:35

For example I want Betsy May not Betsy-May, but May is still the first name not middle name. Full name would be Betsy May Louise Smith but first name/called Betsy May.

ShinyGirl Thu 01-Jun-17 22:42:28

No wink

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 01-Jun-17 22:47:32

BetsyMay Louise Smith
Betsy Louise Smith sounds better.

CaulkheadUpNorf Thu 01-Jun-17 22:48:43

You can.
Don't though.

MikeUniformMike Thu 01-Jun-17 22:50:03

Yes. Betsy-May or BetsyMay are both awful. Betsy May is ok.
Just Betsy is heaps better.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Thu 01-Jun-17 22:53:51

Yes. I call DS by his first 2 names (which aren't hyphenated). Not all the time, but certainly on a daily basis.

DH wouldn't let me use my favourite name as his first name,this is my way around it

IHeartKingThistle Thu 01-Jun-17 22:55:01

I had a girl in my form for 5 years who had this. The mum was absolutely insistent that everyone used both names, brought it up in every conversation I had with her for 5 years. The girl had dropped the second name very early on and didn't care at all!

Wolfiefan Thu 01-Jun-17 22:58:37

You CAN call your child pretty much whatever you like. Registrar may advise you against the name Arsehole though.
It's whether you SHOULD. A quick search should throw up just how much MN seems to hate hyphenated or double names. Too cutesy by far.

ju810 Thu 01-Jun-17 23:00:42

I have such a name, it's an arse.

I get called the first bit by default until people know me.
Just add the feckin' hyphen!
I often add it myself to ensure I'm called my name.

savagehk Thu 01-Jun-17 23:01:37

You may also be subjecting her to a lifetime of computers rejecting her name as "invalid" because of the space....

Pallisers Thu 01-Jun-17 23:03:22

There was a girl in college with me like that. We called her "Betsy May Actually" because every single lecturer/roll call/whatever would say "Betsy Smith" and she'd say "Betsy May Actually"

HeyRoly Thu 01-Jun-17 23:05:00

If you really want Betsy-May then you need the hyphen to show that May isn't the middle name. You'll have a whole world of pain explaining that "no, her name isn't Betsy" otherwise.

Growup Thu 01-Jun-17 23:05:03

My dd has two names and I know it sounds daft but it has only just occurred to me in the last few weeks that there is no hyphen. She is always known by both names and doesn't like it if people shorten it.

Lemondrop99 Thu 01-Jun-17 23:05:09

I personally dislike hyphenated names, BUT if you want her to be called by both names then I do think you have to hyphen it. Otherwise people will assume May is a middle name and drop it.

SuperBeagle Thu 01-Jun-17 23:12:34

I have a Lily Rose with no hyphen.

No one has assumed Rose is her middle name, because who gets called by their first and middle name regularly? confused

I know two Sarah Janes who have no hyphen as well, and no one assumes Jane is the middle name.

disneykid Thu 01-Jun-17 23:13:42

It's not illegal but I wouldn't do it. It looks a bit silly and everyone would end up dropping the May part whether it was part of the first name or used as a middle name. I don't like double first names but it's whatever you like i suppose.

sweetkitty Thu 01-Jun-17 23:17:41

I have a hyphen in my first name and hate it. Always advise against hyphenated names they are such a pain filling in form on the PC, spelling it out to people etc

CustardLover Thu 01-Jun-17 23:20:22

I have a non-hyphenated double first name and while I just use the first part on the whole I like to have the flexibility of having it all should I need it. grin

ShinyGirl Thu 01-Jun-17 23:46:08

I know a Louise Sarah. It always seems like a mouthful and bit odd to have two first names, like her parents couldn't agree on one.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 01-Jun-17 23:50:47

Why do so many people want to sound like they come from a farm in the Appalachians?

icclemunchy Thu 01-Jun-17 23:53:49

I have a hyphen in my first name and it's bloody awful. People don't "get" the two first names things and I'm finding increasingly people don't know what a bloody hyphen is. Explaining that I have 2 first names and no middle name got old before I'd even left school

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 01-Jun-17 23:55:17

I don't think it really matters, but Betsy May Louise sounds ridiculous
May and Louise just don't gel together. It should be either Betsy May or Betsy Louise

Dixiestamp Fri 02-Jun-17 01:56:55

I know a few people called Ceri Ann who don't have a hyphen but are always called the full name. I think it's fine.

BoraThirch Fri 02-Jun-17 09:42:08

Louise is a middle name so it doesn't really matter if first and middle names don't "gel", does it? Middle names are rarely used.

29Palms Fri 02-Jun-17 11:48:47

It works with a few names, eg Mary Ann or John Paul, but not many.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now