Talk

Advanced search

Name Opinions please

(11 Posts)
gigi556 Thu 25-May-17 08:45:33

I'm 40 weeks today! We haven't found out the sex and want to meet baby before deciding 100% on a name. We seem to like fairly traditional names. I have an uncommon name and would prefer to steer clear of anything extremely popular. I like having a "unique" name that isn't weird.

Boys:
My father is Arthur as well as DPs grandfather (now deceased). DPs father is Robert.

We were thinking Arthur Robert for a boy. However, Arthur seems to be rising in popularity which is my only hesitation... I don't like Robert enough to use as a first name.

We also like:
Hadrian
Cameron
Rhys

Girls - we haven't agreed on any family names for girls so our top choices are:
Edith
Constance
Georgina
Schuylar

Any thoughts? We don't have any kids so it's hard to know what names people are hearing on the playground/school run!

HeyCat Thu 25-May-17 09:15:34

Arthur Cameron and Rhys are all pretty popular.

Edith is getting more popular.

I haven't met babies with the other names.

Hadrian is interesting - might get mistaken for Adrian a lot or get a lot of jokes about walls?

The office of national statistics complies a list of the top 100 baby names every year, worth checking that.

And 40 weeks pregnant in this heat must be tough!

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Thu 25-May-17 10:39:16

OP,
(Funnily enough, Gigi's always been one of my favourite girls' names...due to Leslie Caron and not Ms Hadid, though!).

Yes, Arthur is extremely popular for the under 5s round these parts (South East region). Depends on whether that really bothers you, though?
Classic, strong name for a reason!

I like both Cameron and Rhys. Neither are over-chosen here.

Cameron Arthur has a nice ring to it.

Depending on your political leanings, you may want to steer clear of "Arthur Cameron" (David Cameron's son!).

Girls' name-wise, I'd never heard of Schuylar/ Schuyler...Google tells me it's pronounced "Skylar", as it's the original Dutch spelling. Interesting. smile
And a great name, whichever variation you go with.

Edith is increasingly popular; personally, I prefer Edie.

Constance is pretty.

Best of luck for his/ her safe delivery. flowers

17caterpillars1mouse Thu 25-May-17 10:44:24

There were just under 2000 babies named Arthur in 2015. I imagine it has fired in popularity again since then but I doubt they are everywhere. I know 2 1 year old Arthur's and that's it.

I really like Hadrian, it has a very different feel to Arthur though. I imagine an Arthur to be sensible, kind, friendly and always follow the rules. I picture a Hadrian being a bit of a thrill seeker, always in search of adventure and often breaking the rules.

I dislike Cameron and Rhys

I really like Edith, Constance and Georgina but Schuylar is awful and fits with none of the other names you like, in any way.

Edith and Edie as a given name is climbing the popularity charts and obviously Georgia is popular so if you were wanting to use Georgie as a nickname I imagine there are alot of them about.

Sophronia Thu 25-May-17 13:10:34

Arthur Robert is great, and I like Constance and Georgina best from your girls list. Edith/Edie is getting quite popular.

Enidblyton1 Thu 25-May-17 13:27:13

Constance is my favourite of your girls names, though I know of 3 born in the last 2 years. I wonder if it might have a sudden rise in popularity.
Depending on where you live, Arthur might also be a bit too popular. Seems very popular amongst my friends in SW London at the moment.
I rather like Hadrian - and that would certainly be unusual. I like Adrian too, which I doubt is popular these days.

MiniAlphaBravo Thu 25-May-17 13:32:29

Edith or Constance for a girl, not met any of those recently. Please not Schuyler or whatever, very odd name.

I really like Arthur Robert, much better than your other names for boys and has a good meaning for you. Reasonably popular but I don't know any myself.

gigi556 Thu 25-May-17 15:07:08

Thank you for the helpful replies. Hadn't looked at the ONS website before. Love that you can type a name in and see the trend chart! Guess we just have to wait and see if it's a boy or girl and then make a decision! Luckily, we seem to agree for the most part. Feel bad when couples don't like any of the same names!

Kimonolady Thu 25-May-17 16:58:05

If you're not keen on Robert for first name, what about always calling him Bertie?
As for girls' names, it seems you like very traditional, almost Victorian era names (I love them too!) So how about:
Cora
Amelia
Adelaide

DramaAlpaca Thu 25-May-17 21:10:52

I really like Arthur Robert. I like your other boys' names as well, but I personally prefer Adrian to Hadrian.

From the girls' names list I love Constance and Georgina is nice too. They'd inevitably get shortened to Connie or Gina, so you'd need to be sure you like those names.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 25-May-17 23:12:22

Eden is nice, similar to Edith.
I like Robert. Cameron Robert or Rhys Cameron.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now