Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Emilia

(22 Posts)
Rainsbow Sun 21-May-17 07:10:29

I love my dd's name but unless I write it down people always always mistake it for Amelia. We pronounce her name em-ee-lee-a. I've given her a lifetime sentence of correcting people haven't I sad

Popskipiekin Sun 21-May-17 07:15:23

Yes but people who are important to her will remember. My surname is very straightforward but is commonly spelled one of two ways - I always have to say. It doesn't bother me. We have given DS2 a pretty unusual name which he will have to repeat and spell and explain every day of his life... it will be characters building! And his middle name is James if he gets really fed up grin

DarkFloodRises Sun 21-May-17 07:16:00

Yes I think so, sorry! My friend has exactly the same thing.

SallyGinnamon Sun 21-May-17 07:16:26

There are quite a few Emilias that DD and I know between us.

I expect people will say 'is that with an A or an E?' in the same way that people ask DD if she's Catherine with a C or a K.

Rockaby Sun 21-May-17 07:51:18

I know two women named Emilia and yes, at first I thought they were called Amelia as the way they said it sounded just like Amelia. It was only when I had to send them emails (work colleagues) that I realised.

I do think people are using Emilia instead of Amelia now, so agree with border that it will probably become a name where people ask which it is; "Is that with an A or an E"?

Lillieslamb Sun 21-May-17 08:10:05

I used to work with children before becoming a sahm, and came across just as many Amelia's as Emilia's, so it's always something I ask ("with an 'a' or 'e'?"). I do think Emilia is getting more popular, I guess it depends on where you live. I think it's a lovely name.

TheManeEvent Sun 21-May-17 09:36:59

I have to admit that I would have pronounced it wrong. I'd have gone for Amelia but with an E sound at the beginning. Emilia is very pretty though. Maybe if it had a second M it would have helped Emmilia - it doesn't look as pretty though or maybe Emmelia would be best 🤔

I have a 'misspelt' name - it's a real foreign name but my parents use an incorrect pronunciation. I have to correct people every time. However it's not a problem in the slightest. It take two seconds 🤷🏻‍♀️
If I'm just giving my name in a casual way say to make a reservation then I give my middle name.

I think the one thing you can do for your DD is make sure she isn't touchy about it. Sometimes you see people on Mumsnet who get really angry that people can't pronounce their names or their kids names properly when I don't think it matters. I've never been bothered about it at all.

29Palms Sun 21-May-17 13:11:23

I always thought Emilia was pronounced Em-ILL-ee-ah
Like Emily is Em-ILL-ee

Rainsbow Sun 21-May-17 13:17:17

Not for us 29 my dd is same pronunciation as Emilia Fox and Emilia Clarke. Em-ee-lee-a

29Palms Sun 21-May-17 13:22:31

Is that from hearing other people saying it though? I don't know how they pronounce their names themselves.

Rainsbow Sun 21-May-17 13:27:32

That's just by how we call our dd!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/vUQvhW7e03c

29Palms Sun 21-May-17 13:32:53

Hmm, that sounds like Ay-mill-ee-ah to me, and it's an American voice anyway!

Rainsbow Sun 21-May-17 13:50:44

American or not, I pronounce my daughters name em-EE-lee-ya

29Palms Sun 21-May-17 14:04:30

We are obviously hearing different things.

eleanor1989 Sun 21-May-17 14:39:46

Sacconejolys little girl is called Emilia and they pronounce it ee-mee-lia. Probably sounds stronger with the Irish accent

eleanor1989 Sun 21-May-17 14:40:44

Actually old be more like you pronounce it *rainbow

eleanor1989 Sun 21-May-17 14:41:09

Could*

grufallosfriend Sun 21-May-17 15:49:58

I know an Emilia pronounced E-mill-ia nickname Milly.

There seem to be different ways to pronounce it.

DramaAlpaca Sun 21-May-17 16:15:18

OP I'd pronounce Emilia just the same as you do, and I much prefer it to Amelia.

buttercup54321 Sun 21-May-17 20:46:13

I prefer Amelia or Emily

SuperBeagle Sun 21-May-17 22:12:02

Yep.

I have an Emilia who's 2. Most people automatically spell it Amelia, but you do get the odd person who asks how it's spelt, without assuming. It doesn't bother me. I knew this would happen when I named her Emilia in a country where Amelia has been in the top 10 for years.

It helps when it's shortened to Emmy. smile

Rainsbow Mon 22-May-17 08:41:27

We call her Emmie for short so that should be a hint!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: