Talk

Advanced search

Initials VD

(19 Posts)
Serendipper Sun 14-May-17 12:03:36

Hi,

Considering a name with initials EVD for our baby, it's a girls name and the V is a family name. However there is another grandparent with initials VD who has warned us off due to negative associations. I hadn't heard of it before and don't think it's a particularly current concern but wondered if you agree with me or relative? Does VD make you think of what it makes her think and do you think it will in future?

Thanks!

rizlett Sun 14-May-17 12:06:13

my exh had the initials VDB - so his letters always said Mr V.D.B but no one took any notice at all.

that clinic's not really called that anymore anyway - just don't have STI... wink

CricketRuntAndRashers Sun 14-May-17 12:08:05

I'm not sure what you mean... Vaginal delivery? Veteran's Day? Vaud?

CricketRuntAndRashers Sun 14-May-17 12:08:32

Oops, I'm stupid. Veneral disease blush

I don't think it's too bad.
It's EVD, not VD.

LarrytheCucumber Sun 14-May-17 12:09:38

I know an adult VD working somewhere where lots of things are circulated and require initials to say you have read them. Can't say I've ever heard anyone comment.

user1483387154 Sun 14-May-17 12:11:44

If it were VD then it would be a no from me as Veneral Disease is the first thing that comes to mind. But with EVD I don't think you need to worry.

29Palms Sun 14-May-17 12:22:53

I went to school with a couple of girls with these initials, back in the day when VD was the common term for "the clap" as it was usually called grin It wasn't a big deal even then.

29Palms Sun 14-May-17 12:23:43

I should say, I mean the initials VD.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 14-May-17 12:24:31

A friend of mine had the initials VD and about a week before her wedding told me she absolutely couldn't wait to change her surname to her husband's so she would no longer be VD. She really hated those initials.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 14-May-17 12:25:05

EVD is fine. No one would associate that with VD. Don't worry, OP.

Ceto Sun 14-May-17 12:27:55

I'm afraid venereal disease is what I though of as soon as I saw the thread title.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 14-May-17 12:56:40

I wouldn't.

I have initials which spell something and have always hated it.

I used to know someone with initials OK so people thought she was being funny when she had to initial something to confirm she'd read it

SumAndSubstance Sun 14-May-17 13:13:11

I'm another one who would say no to 'VD', but think 'EVD' is fine.

TenThousandSpoons Sun 14-May-17 13:15:59

People don't tend to include middle names so the initials will really be "ED"....which also has negative associations (erectile dysfunction).

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 14-May-17 13:21:31

I would stick in an extra middle name

So eg. Eva Victoria Claire Drake

VerySadInside Sun 14-May-17 13:23:53

I'm in my twenties and instantly thought of Venereal Disease.

29Palms Sun 14-May-17 13:28:23

Nowadays they are constantly changing the terms for, shall we say "delicate" or "sensitive" conditions, eg VD became STD, which has apparently now become STI (I didn't know that!).

So be aware that your previously inoffensive initials could suddenly acquire a whole new meaning.

daisypond Sun 14-May-17 13:37:29

The intials aren't VD, they're EVD, which is fine. The initials more likely to be used in everyday life are ED.

Serendipper Sun 14-May-17 15:46:38

Thanks everyone that has responded. You have reassured me quite a bit, I think EVD will be fine. I hadn't even thought of the ED issue but I know tons of people with those initials and they seem to cope fine. I think we have our girls name decided!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now