Talk

Advanced search

Unsure about boy's name

(39 Posts)
kara1987 Wed 10-May-17 15:12:46

Hi,

My partner and I are nearing 30 and first time parents. We don't know anyone with children, so when we looked at baby names we only had our own preconceptions to go by.

We both really liked the name Cody, as it's an Irish name (OH is half Irish) and we didn't know anyone with that name.

However since choosing it, I'm now starting to hear negative connotations and I'm worried it's a naughty child name/ has a lot of preconceptions around it. Particularly (without trying to be too judgmental) around certain types of families.

Is this the case? Am I better avoiding it all together?

CrispyBathTowel Wed 10-May-17 15:15:44

I'm Irish and I'd say that it's not that popular or overused here as I haven't come across any. Whilst it is an Irish name it sounds more American to me for some reason.

I don't really like it tbh blush

lorelairoryemily Wed 10-May-17 15:18:04

I'm Irish too and I can't think of a single person I know called Cody, as crispy said above it so I ds more American to me and I dont like it either...

Rockaby Wed 10-May-17 15:24:16

I'm American born, but spent most of my childhood and adolescence in Ireland. I would also say it's more American sounding than Irish.

There are some beautiful Irish boy names which I prefer to Cody. That said, I don't have any negative associations with Cody. It isn't to my taste, but there's nothing wrong with it. Go with what you love! If that's Cody, then go for it.

BertrandRussell Wed 10-May-17 15:25:42

I don't think it's a particularly Irish name, is it?

kara1987 Wed 10-May-17 15:31:18

It's an Irish Gaelic name (though I assume that's from the surname 'Cody').

It's probable that it's become more Americanised as a first name (though again, don't know of anyone called Cody that I think of).

BertrandRussell Wed 10-May-17 15:36:55

You do need to be a bit careful about baby name websites that tell you names are Irish. A lot of Gaelic names are a bit alphabet soupish to non Gaelic speakers, so lots of names are sort of anagrammed out of the letters and labeled Irish names.............

CricketRuntAndRashers Wed 10-May-17 16:12:32

I've honestly never met an Irish (or English) Cody...

I agree, it does sound very American to me personally. But there's obviously nothing wrong with American sounding names! smile

29Palms Wed 10-May-17 17:39:20

It's a surname, as in Buffalo Bill Cody.

Personally I dislike surnames being used as forenames - it is a very American thing - but the lines can become blurred over time as many common surnames have long been in use as forenames, or even started out as such. James, Thomas etc. Cody isn't one of those.

flibberdy Wed 10-May-17 18:03:55

It's cute and I wouldn't associate it with a naughty boy. That's more Tyler/Bailey blush sorry mums with those DSs!

Choosing a boys name is so so hard compared to girls imo so if you've found one you both like, go for it!

29Palms Wed 10-May-17 18:16:23

Boys, naughty or not grin grow up to be men, so I would think carefully about giving him a "cute" name.

DramaInPyjamas Wed 10-May-17 18:23:52

I only know one and he's a little shite, so I do associate it with naughty.

Lemondrop09 Wed 10-May-17 18:29:50

I think of it as being a very American name. I really like it though

ILookedintheWater Wed 10-May-17 18:39:11

It's used as a boys' name in America: Disney's 'The Suite Life of Zack and Cody' for example.
I have never heard of a British or Irish one.

TinfoilHattie Wed 10-May-17 18:42:09

I know a few here in Glasgow. One named Kody which is awful. Cody is better.

SuperBeagle Wed 10-May-17 20:35:31

This is one of the most reliable name sites and it says it's Irish in origin.

I like Cody. I'm in the minority though. It reminds me kodiak and the Kodiak bear. I do think it's quite American sounding both due to its popularity there and what it reminds me of, but being American sounding isn't a bad thing.

bridgetreilly Wed 10-May-17 21:15:13

It is Irish in origin, but not as a forename, only as a surname.

I think it's not a bad name, though, if you like it. 'Naughty' associations are much stronger with the individual child than any particular name.

Dogsmom Wed 10-May-17 22:13:28

I know 3 Cody's, 2 girls and a boy and none of them are naughty.

Regarding "certain types of family", I've only ever come across that on here and it seems to be associated with K or C initials usually on boys (and it utter nonsense)

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 10-May-17 23:00:36

I'm not a fan of Cody and i'd associate it with young parents or with the USA.

In the same style I prefer:

Austin
Cormac
Ciaran
Ciar

CricketRuntAndRashers Wed 10-May-17 23:11:23

Cormac is lovely! I also like Dean (Idk if they're the same style, tbh).

Anyhow, it seems as if Cody is actually more commonly used (%) in the UK and Ireland than in the US. I'm not sure why I think of it as an American name... It's in the top 100 in Scotland and Ireland...

www.behindthename.com/name/cody

sycamore54321 Thu 11-May-17 17:01:22

I've never heard it as a first name in Ireland. You say your main reason for liking it is that it is an Important eh name - I'm afraid that if your intention is to reflect an Irish heritage, then this name definitely doesn't do that. So by all means, use it if you wish but don't expect anyone to immediately ask "oh, are you Irish?", the way they might if you named your baby Brendan or Declan or Padraig. The Irishness just doesn't carry with it as a first name.

Some nice suggestions for Irish boys names in previous posts, if that element is important to you.

sycamore54321 Thu 11-May-17 17:02:05

Crazy autocorrect in the second sentence, should say Irish name.

sycamore54321 Thu 11-May-17 17:04:04

Oh and on your specific question, I don't think it is so rarely used that it doesn't really come with a preconception. I've certainly never heard it when primary school teachers are chatting about the names they dread seeing on the roll. Even if it were, so what. Let your child be the one that changes perceptions if needs be.

dustarr73 Thu 11-May-17 21:55:47

I'm Irish and i know a male Cody.Hes my nephew.I like it, not too common but not too out there either.

DramaAlpaca Thu 11-May-17 21:58:21

It's an Irish surname, but I've never heard of it used as a first name in Ireland. It has very American connotations to me. That said, I don't mind it as a name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now