Nina Persephone

For a boy:
Leon Sebastien
or
Frederick Julien (nn Freddie)
or
Finbar Sebastien (nn Finn)

Surname will be O'Neill
Our family is French / Dutch / Italian / British / Irish ..

Finding out the sex of baby via harmony test next week!

MuseumGardens Wed 10-May-17 09:36:58

Nina Josefin

Leon Sebastien

Loyly Wed 10-May-17 09:40:45

Mieke Josefin

Frederick (but with Sebastien as middle)

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 10-May-17 09:43:03

Nina Persephone is gorgeous

And

Finbar Sebastien

NuffSaidSam Wed 10-May-17 09:54:09

Nina Persephone

Leon Sebastien

Love Leon and Nina.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 10:05:33

I think Nina Josefin is a bit too Russian sounding as a combination

I like Frederick Sebastien as an option. Only thing is good friends of ours have a newish baby Freddie.

Favourites right now are Nina Persephone and Leon Sebastien but I keep changing my mind!

What do people think of Persephone as a first name?

CricketRuntAndRashers Wed 10-May-17 10:55:34

Nina Persephone is lovely smile

I lso like Frederick Sebastian, Leon Frederick and Leon Sebastian. Leon Frederick is really gorgeous imo smile What about Ludo? (Ludovico)

Sophronia Wed 10-May-17 10:57:19

Nina and Frederick

user1472377586 Wed 10-May-17 11:29:53

I love, love, love your names! (I am Dutch/British heritage, married to Australian/Irish).
Mieke Josefin is really beautiful.

I don't like Nina to be honest.
It is (to me) a bit harsh, but then it is your choice.

Finn / Finnbar - I do not like at all. There are several "Finn" boys at my sons' school and I don't have any good associations with that name mainly because of their families. Also, Finn O'Neill is an Irish name. There is nothing of the Dutch/Italian/British heritage there.

Perspehone is a fabulous name and great that it is on your list.
If you have it as a first name, the big question is, what will it be shortened to? You can have some choice in this by shortening it for your child early on. Otherwise, school will shorten it.

Leon was on my list. I love it and it is a strong name. It sounds good with O'Neill.
Also, I regret not calling my elder boy Frederick! I know one Freddie and it is a lovely name that grows well.
If I were you, don't worry that friends have a baby with that name - tell them it is a family name for you if you like.

Ludovico is strange with "O'Neill".
I would pair a lovely name like Frederick or Leon with a nice 'quiet' name like Jan. Look into your family tree and a second name is a great way to honour relatives / give your child a deep connection to their family tree, even if it is 3 or 4 generations back.

Just to throw another name into the mix, what about Petronella? (That is out of my Dutch family tree).

FWIW we called our daughter Henrietta Jane. H. anglicised out of my Dutch family tree and J straight from my husband's family.
It suits her, is a strong name and it is wearing well. School friends call her Hennie, but she sometimes shortens it to Hetta.

(Sorry about my user name - I forgot my password a long time ago and don't know how to change it)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 10-May-17 11:34:00

Nina and Finn

squoosh Wed 10-May-17 11:37:56

Nina and Leon

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 11:43:10

Thanks user I agree with you about Finn O'Neill.. it's a family name so possibly could use Finbar as middle name if DH is super set on it.

Pretty sure it will be Leon or Freddie for a boy first name

I don't like Petronella as I think it sounds a bit stern in English (ok in Dutch) but thanks for the suggestion. Not keen on Ludo or Jan at all (Jan does not translate well). Also can't have names ending in "o" for obvious reasons.

Nina isn't my absolute fave on its own but I like it with Persephone- I guess I'm nervous about Persephone as a first name but I actually prefer it.

What middle names could I use with Persephone?

Persephone Josefin ?

MerryMarigold Wed 10-May-17 11:48:27

I don't like Nina O'Neill together (sounds like a made-up singer name), although I love the name Nina by itself. Mieke is nice but is it pronounced Meeka or Maika?

Boys, I like Leon and Frederick. Usually boys are more difficult!

squoosh Wed 10-May-17 11:50:52

Oh yeah, Nina O'Neill sounds a bit odd.

MerryMarigold Wed 10-May-17 11:52:07

Don't get caught on the middle name and what it sounds like. It will very rarely be used. You will be using the first name all day long, hearing it at school/ parents evenings/ friend's parents using it etc. etc.

I think of middle names as a little gift - of history, or meaning something special. Ds1 has my grandmother's maiden name, twins were named by their grandparents. Now dh's has died, it is quite special that he chose the name for one of our children. The kids never use their names, but they know them and they know the reasons behind them.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 11:52:38

Hmm merry that is a good point about Nina O'Neill.

What about Mieke Persephone?

Mieke is pronounced Mee-kuh in Dutch (not Mee-ka or Maika)

MerryMarigold Wed 10-May-17 11:52:54

Sorry, dh's dad has died. He gave my ds2 his middle name.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 10-May-17 11:52:57

Mieke and Finbar.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 11:53:42

When I had DD I couldn't think of any boys names! Now it's the opposite.. I'd tell you her names but then I'd totally out myself! Even more than I already have

MerryMarigold Wed 10-May-17 11:53:59

Yes, I was imagining 'uh' on the end. I like it.

Is there a reason for Persephone? Personally not my taste, but if it was a special grandmother/ godmother, has a meaning which you love etc. etc. then it's fine.

squoosh Wed 10-May-17 11:54:03

I'd go with Mieke O'Neill rather than Nina O'Neill.

Middle names, just go with your favourite. It will only be said out loud once in a blue moon so doesn't matter if it flows or whatever.

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 11:58:49

Ok:

Persephone Josefin O'Neill
Mieke Persephone O'Neill
Mieke Josefin O'Neill
?

Does Persephone O'Neill sound better than Mieke O'Neill ?

Any ideas for French / Dutch / Italian middle names for Persephone?

TheGrumpySquirrel Wed 10-May-17 12:00:13

I just love the name Persephone as it's unusual and I like the sound. Also Greek / Roman goddess of springtime I think.

CricketRuntAndRashers Wed 10-May-17 12:10:06

Persephone is lovely smile

As for French/Italian middle names (sorry, can't help you with the Dutch part...). Do you mean names that are currently popular in (for example) Italy or names that are Italian but potentially somewhat (=very) old-fashioned?

squoosh Wed 10-May-17 12:10:18

I personally prefer Mieke (it sounds cool and contemporary) but if you love Persephone and your partner likes it too you should really make that her first name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now