Talk

Advanced search

Help me be strong after rude comments

(79 Posts)
piraterach Tue 09-May-17 14:31:58

DH and I have just found out our pfb will be a little girl! We're over the moon and all the family is very excited especially as she will be first grandchild also.

The problem is when family members ask about names. DH and I have pretty much been set on the girls name Aria Dawn since before ttc. But so far we've had nothing but negative comments
- can't you pick a different name? How about Ava that's much nicer?
- where did you pick that name from?

In hindsight I'd have kept quiet but the negative comments have affected me and now I'm wavering on a name I adore?

What do you guys think? Are we scarring our child for life or should I tell people to butt out? shock

NameyMcNamerson83 Tue 09-May-17 14:35:25

I think it's really pretty, stick with your choice! Also not quite as popular as Ava.
I don't know why family members feel the need to be negative about something like this. That's why I'd never reveal final name choices to family members until the baby is born! Why can't people just be nice or not say anything at all...

pinkyredrose Tue 09-May-17 14:35:43

It's a lovely name! Congratulations!

MyfatheristheKing Tue 09-May-17 14:36:08

Tell people to mind their own business. That's a lovely name, but in future I just wouldn't tell anyone until after she is born.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 09-May-17 14:36:28

Ignore other people's views. As long as you and your DH like a name, that's all that matters. It's no-one else's decision but yours. If anyone makes remarks in future, tell them that their opinion is irrelevant. Congratulations flowers

Branleuse Tue 09-May-17 14:36:36

nothing wrong with your chosen name. Its pretty

Rockaby Tue 09-May-17 14:39:47

They are being overinvested, selfish assholes rude. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Stick to your guns. It's a lovely name and, to me, a much nicer choice than Ava, though there's nothing particularly wrong with that either.

baconsandwiches Tue 09-May-17 14:39:51

I love the name Aria! The only reason I'm not picking it is we agreed to pick something well outside the top 300 and it's creeping up the rankings (because it's so lovely! and probably also because of game of thrones, never a bad thing!)
Ignore whatever anyone else is saying, and maybe next time refuse to name share before baby's arrival xx

pootlepootle Tue 09-May-17 14:40:12

my daughters are 14 and 16. when both were born, family had a massive mutter about the names we had chosen. we told them to mind their own.

now 14 and 16 years later they are simply their names. no one has even thought about it for 13.5 and 15.5 years. that's just who they are.

ignore smile

ScarlettFreestone Tue 09-May-17 14:42:14

Your child, your choice. Ignore them and refuse to discuss. They'll get over it.

(it's a lovely name btw)

Cantseethewoods Tue 09-May-17 14:43:51

Risk factor is GOT8. Depending on plot could become hugely popular. That said, I like it.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 09-May-17 14:48:49

Aria is much nicer than Ava IMO.

Congratulations.

CricketRuntAndRashers Tue 09-May-17 14:49:01

It's really pretty.

I agre, GOT would make me personally hesitatete... But it is a really lovely name!

CricketRuntAndRashers Tue 09-May-17 14:49:38

*hesitate, agree...
Uhm, yes. Idk. blush

happydays2017 Tue 09-May-17 14:49:40

Say you are going to decide when you see her, throw everyone off with a list of alternatives then announce your chosen name when she arrives, no one says anything negative when they meet a baby already named
Bloody cheek, they get to name their own DC
Lovely name btw

TheMerryWidow1 Tue 09-May-17 14:51:18

love it, very different too. Go with what you want, ignore other people and I wouldn't bother letting anyone else know. Congratulations, enjoy your little girl when she arrives xx

Berrybakecake1 Tue 09-May-17 15:00:37

Lovely name stick to your guns.
Don't like Ava, plus there are about 100 per 10sqm. It's all I seem to hear parents shouting (cringes)

MrsGB2225 Tue 09-May-17 15:01:33

Love the name, but also worried about GOT

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Tue 09-May-17 15:04:24

I opened this expecting to see something like Hepzibah-Skye*. Aria Dawn's a lovely, usable, unusual but not weird bame.

*FWIW, I actually like Hepzibah and Skye, but the combination's a bit marmite.

CricketRuntAndRashers Tue 09-May-17 15:05:46

Hepzibah-Skye is actually awesome! grin

How about it, OP?

ladyratterley Tue 09-May-17 15:06:00

It's lovely!
I wouldn't worry about GOT connotations either as the character's name isn't the same, it's Arya, supposed to be pronounced Ar-yuh, not Ah-ri-ah.

29Palms Tue 09-May-17 15:08:00

The character in GoT is Arya, not Aria. It's pronounced Ar-Ya.

Floggingmolly Tue 09-May-17 15:09:15

Stop disclosing names before the child is even born

Reow Tue 09-May-17 15:11:24

Lovely name, but i'd be concerned that it is going to become the Milly/Ella/Ruby/overused name of the next few years due to GOT, and I wouldn't want to use a very popular name where there are likely to be 8 of them to a class.

Only my thoughts. It's still a lovely name.

Mind you, there are even more Ava's!

3luckystars Tue 09-May-17 15:12:29

Don't tell anyone your names.

This is the first rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now