Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bad reaction to Raphael

(72 Posts)
Name15 Tue 09-May-17 12:50:12

I chose Raphael, told my family and their reaction was NO

1. My cousin has teenage sons with the nicknames Rad and Ral. I don't see this as an issue because they're teens and their full names are nothing like Raphael, but my wider family think I'll be stepping on cousin's toes

2. It's one of the ninja turtles. This didn't factor into my decision at all, but even so would a child even mind sharing a name with a crime fighting turtle?

What do you think of these issues? Actual issues or should I just ignore them?

ImperialBlether Tue 09-May-17 12:51:10

Call him Louis instead (and you can sing What a Wonderful World and Meet me in St Louis, Louis to him!) Very cool name.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 09-May-17 12:53:08

Whatever names we choose outside the box someone will have an opinion op. If it's what suits your ds then go for it. .
What nn did you assume would come up?

Hastalapasta Tue 09-May-17 12:55:18

Your sprog, you get to name it!
Tend to think of the painter rather than the turtle but maybe that's just me smile

Name15 Tue 09-May-17 12:55:51

Justmadeperfectflapjacks I think they're assuming that it'll be Raf (hence the issue with Rad and Ral) but I don't care what the nickname is

Name15 Tue 09-May-17 12:57:47

Hastalapasta I did remind them that the turtles are named after Renaissance painters but they didn't seem impressed. Asked me if I'd name a child Michaelangelo

Rockaby Tue 09-May-17 12:58:25

Obviously this advice is far too late, but, I always say never, ever discuss potential baby names with anyone except your partner. Especially never tell them the name you like best, as it almost seems to be second nature to some people to say they don't like it for whatever reason. And, especially never tell them if the name is anything other than Jack / Thomas / Oliver / James!

People have different tastes. That's life. Either it bothers you or it doesn't.

I would say though, now that someone's pointed out that you might be stepping on someone's toes with similar nns, that muddies the waters a little. It totally depends on how your relationship with your cousin is and if they're likely to care. My cousins wouldn't and neither would I. I would be happy to use the exact same name, never mind nns. But it depends on personality etc.

LiquoriceWheel Tue 09-May-17 13:00:21

Ignore them!

Raphael is a BEAUTIFUL name for a little chap. I'm not a fancy-posh-sophisticate but I always think of Raphael the artist and the Raphael the angel. The Ninja Turtles were named after the Renaissance painters anyway, so that should shut your family up. Rad and Ral have nothing to with Raphael, but if it helps say your DS can be Raf ??? Rad, Ral and Raf??? Three super dudes grin

PuppyMonkey Tue 09-May-17 13:00:52

I know someone called Raphael who is - inevitably - an artist. He goes by Raf. I like it.

Hastalapasta Tue 09-May-17 13:03:33

When we named DS1 first question that the inlaws asked was 'after BL's cat'?!! The cat had died several years before I met DH, so no, not really......confused

Hastalapasta Tue 09-May-17 13:05:19

And yes, I would use Michaelangelo, DH is Italian and Mikey works well in English as a nn.

29Palms Tue 09-May-17 13:05:58

Just ignore them. Raphael is a lovely name. An archangel as well as a turtle painter.

It doesn't matter about the cousins' names, whatever they are. They aren't the same.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Tue 09-May-17 13:06:42

Lovely,lovely name.

EssentialHummus Tue 09-May-17 13:09:37

Lovely name.

AllMumsyWereTheBorrowedClothes Tue 09-May-17 13:12:56

It's a lovely name! I have a friend with an adult son with the name who is a charming, thoughtful man. She often shortens it to Rafe (like Rafe Spall the actor).

Wikipedia offers lots of Raphaels - a Brazilian footballer, an Italian Renaissance painter, and an Archangel, as well as the Ninja Turtle so you've got every inspiration covered - Art, Sport, Popular Culture, Religion (one of my DCs picked him as their Saint when they were confirmed) so maybe be certain in your own mind then just go with what you think fits him best. I'm sure he's gorgeous and will be happy with any name that's given with love.

LockedOutOfMN Tue 09-May-17 13:14:30

It's a lovely name. We live in Spain and there are lots of Rafaëls here (Rafa - like Nadal).

29Palms Tue 09-May-17 13:14:33

Michael Angelo would be two names, nothing bizarre about at all!
No one would raise an eyebrow at Leonardo either, although Donatello would be a little more unusual.

Theworldisfullofidiots Tue 09-May-17 13:14:57

I love it

AnotherAnnoyingMother Tue 09-May-17 13:16:37

Never tell anyone beforehand! Why oh why - people are much more polite once you have the baby and have registered the name!

PuppyMonkey Tue 09-May-17 13:17:08

Love Leonardo.

29Palms Tue 09-May-17 13:17:29

AllMumsy
How lovely to see someone here talk about giving a name. So much nicer than "using" a name which seems to be the normal expression on here. I think "using" sounds so unpleasant.

CricketRuntAndRashers Tue 09-May-17 13:18:03

I know a Rafael/Raphael. His nickname is Porkie.

And a Raphaela nn Raf and Ela.

Raphael is a lovley name.

And anyhow, why not Michelangelo?

upthewolves Tue 09-May-17 13:18:32

I love the name Raphael! I'm not quite brave enough to use it as we have an unusual surname so it would be a bit of a mouthful.

Once he is here, he will become his name and they will love him so much they will accept it as part of him. Choose the name you and your partner love the best OP.

HVB79 Tue 09-May-17 13:19:19

Great name !

Name15 Tue 09-May-17 13:19:35

LockedOutOfMN I quite like the nn Rafa but that might just my burning desire for Rafa Nadal talking

AnotherAnnoyingMother, Rockaby consider my lesson learnt on this one, I'm zipped from now on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now