Talk

Advanced search

Rose as middle name

(31 Posts)
April1984 Sun 07-May-17 06:09:55

Is it very popular?

mistermagpie Sun 07-May-17 06:14:36

Very. Rose and May seem to be the most popular middle names for girls around here. I wouldn't use it unless it's a family name.

BoboBunnyH0p Sun 07-May-17 06:44:28

I agree Rose and May/Mae are very popular. Imo they are the filler middle name of this generation very much like Jane and Louise were in the 70's and 80's.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Sun 07-May-17 07:06:30

In these parts, it's very often either Rose or Grace as the middle one.

But they're both beautiful, classic and go with so many first names, I'm not surprised!

April1984 Sun 07-May-17 07:23:19

Hanks. That's what I thought! Doesn't put me off entirely because the proposed first name is unusual but it's one of a few in the mix so may be enough to not use it.

blueskyinmarch Sun 07-May-17 07:27:02

My DD’s have the middle names Rose and Grace. They are 24yo and 19yo so they are not just ‘new’ middle names. We chose Rose as we just liked it and the name Grace has a very personal family meaning for us. Both grill really like their middle names. I say if you like the name then use it.

LittleFryingPan Sun 07-May-17 07:28:28

Very very popular where I am but didn't stop us using it. It's a pretty, classic name that goes with DDs first name and it was my great grandmothers name too. Who cares?

WowserBowser Sun 07-May-17 07:32:43

Really popular. As well as Grace

Maybe not as popular as May/Mae/Mai

HeteronormativeHaybales Sun 07-May-17 07:40:43

Rose/Grace/May are the Louise/Elizabeth/Jane of this generation. Pretty much generic as middle names. Bluesky, I think you were probably in the forefront of the trend.

I'd avoid, if you have ther options. I say this as someone who accidentally used a very popular first name for our first child - we're not in the UK and it's unusual here and I later found out it was no. 5 in the UK for his year of birth. Tbh it does bother me a very little, although I still love the name and it's perfect for him.

summerblonde Sun 07-May-17 07:46:03

Massively overused.

CeciledeVolanges Sun 07-May-17 07:52:45

My middle name is Rose and my sister's is Grace! Sorry, that doesn't help much but I've never met anyone my age with either before (I'm mid-twenties)

Jooni Sun 07-May-17 07:56:55

So so so popular. Seems to be the default middle name for girls at the moment.

Frazzled2207 Sun 07-May-17 08:04:30

I love it as a first name but as a middle name seems to be very much a "filler", ditto Grace and May.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 07-May-17 08:16:12

Rose is very popular, and very lovely !
I wouldn't think twice about using it. 😄

HildaSnibbs Sun 07-May-17 08:22:59

cecile are you bluesky 's daughter?! smile

I'd just go with names you love and not worry about popularity, especially for middle
names as they're not often used.

Spindelina Sun 07-May-17 08:45:40

My DD has a "forrin" first name, so we went with Rose as a safe, boring, obviously female middle name.

CricketRuntAndRashers Sun 07-May-17 11:07:08

I love Rose as a first name.

If I wanted a "rosie" middle name I'd probably go with Rosalie or Roslyn. (We may actually end up doing that)

blueskyinmarch Sun 07-May-17 11:23:29

@CeciledeVolanges Are you actually my DD? She is mid 20’s too! Lets see if we can narrow this down - are you Scottish but not living in Scotland?

chuntersalot Sun 07-May-17 11:27:48

My middle name is Rose. I'm nearly 50 😀 I hated it growing up because it was so 'old fashioned' 😀 I've grown to love it now.

BlandWallpaper Sun 07-May-17 11:28:48

Very popular and has been for years but it's a middle name so it really, really doesn't matter. Almost No one uses their middle name.

MiaowTheCat Sun 07-May-17 11:46:28

They're borderline sneery fodder on here for middle names now... May's the REAL MN point of derision at the moment.

29Palms Sun 07-May-17 12:06:06

There are hundreds and hundreds of names, so it baffles me why people are so unimaginative. A middle name is a chance for a bit of individuality.

BlandWallpaper
I've known lots of people who use their middle name. Some of them I had known for years before I knew they did. How would you know?

AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Sun 07-May-17 12:19:39

It's my middle name!

When I was growing up, everyone else had either Jane or Louise as their middle name.

I can't imagine anything it won't go with...if you like it, use it! 😀

Nametrekking Mon 08-May-17 00:05:36

Rose was my granny's name, hence us using it as a middle name. It wasn't until after we had named DD that we realised every other baby was also called Rose, but being a middle name it didn't bother us at all! Rose is very pretty and flows perfectly imo.

AmyOnTheBorder Mon 08-May-17 00:13:53

Rose, Grace and May are just default, filler middle names nowadays. Obviously if you love it use it but they are all beyond overused.

Don't use a hyphen though whatever you do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now