Talk

Advanced search

Margo, Effie or Agnes

(70 Posts)
Loola24 Mon 01-May-17 12:25:49

Finally, we have our final 3 names but we just can not decide.
I love all 3 and it's proving difficult to pick.
What does everyone think?
Her middle name will be Elizabeth and that's set in stone.
Margo Elizabeth - nn Maggie
Effie Elizabeth
Agnes Elizabeth

soundsystem Mon 01-May-17 12:32:51

Ooh, I love all of them! I think I slightly prefer Agnes, if the three.

Would Effie be short for something? It sounds a bit nicknamey on it's own, but I could understand if Euphemia doesn't appeal.

Are you in Scotland? As then there's the Agnes/Senga issue potentially...

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 01-May-17 12:33:32

Margo Elizabeth, but prefer Margot.
Actually, I'm very torn, I think I may change my mind and go for Agnes Elizabeth, Ness for short.

averythinline Mon 01-May-17 12:35:47

Agnes Elizabeth , 1st
Margo 2nd although prefer with the t at the end, looks like Murgo without for some reason..!
Effie whist cute seems more of a nn and too many e's with Elizabeth i think....

Enidblyton1 Mon 01-May-17 12:39:49

All lovely, but I'd go with Margot or Agnes.

Loola24 Mon 01-May-17 12:57:46

Thank you for the feedback.
No I'm not in Scotland soundsystem. I have not heard of a Agnes/senga issue, what is this??

It would just be Effie as a name not as a nickname. I actually love the name Etta but the dialect where I am from unfortunately most people would not say the 'tt' so she would be called e - a, and it would annoy me beyond belief.
I have two older boys, Maxwell and Oliver.

Interesting how most are saying Margo with a 't' Margot. That just doesn't look right to me.

Chavelita Mon 01-May-17 12:58:36

I was going to say are you a Despicable Me fan? , but those girls are Agnes, Edith and Margo. grin I agree with others that Margot with a t is nicer -- without reminds me of a leather-lunged Irish country and western singer, Daniel O'Donnell's sister, rather than Margo Robbie. They're all lovely, maybe Effie and Agnes edge ahead for me.

Nametrekking Mon 01-May-17 13:01:54

I really love the name Effie but DH vetoed, and when I started googling many forums said it sounds like F'off 😬

Jooni Mon 01-May-17 13:17:37

All lovely, I'd personally go for Agnes - it's fab!

gracefull Mon 01-May-17 13:25:55

Love Margot but agree with other posters it needs a silent t. Margo looks misspelt. Effie is my favourite but don't like it with the middle name as not a fan of alliteration in name. Agnes is a no from me.

gracefull Mon 01-May-17 13:27:51

(Also side point- Effie is often a nickname for Elizabeth so with the middle name it might be a bit like having the same name twice. You might not see this as a problem though!)

Lemondrop09 Mon 01-May-17 13:29:15

Margo is lovely

Effie is ok (but also makes me think F off!!)

I don't understand the sudden come back with Agnes, I think it's one of those old lady names that should stay in the past (along with Ethel, Agatha and Mavis)

LittleCandle Mon 01-May-17 13:31:21

Effie is short for Euphemia. Senga is Agnes spelt backwards and is often what Agnes is called in Scotland. You aren't Scottish if you don't have an Agnes (Aggie, Nessie, Senga) in your family tree. TBH, I don't like any of those names. Elizabeth is lovely, but the others are terrible.

Sunshineandlaughter Mon 01-May-17 14:51:59

Margot is spelt with a t. The t is silent. Please spell it properly else you will look ignorant.

You can't have Effie Elizabeth - she'll just be calling f'ing [surname] by all the kids at school.

Def go for Margot

villainousbroodmare Mon 01-May-17 14:53:35

I'm sorry, don't like any of them.
Margo if I were really pushed for a choice. Better with a t.
Perhaps Agnes second as it is a name. And Nessa is quite nice.
Effie is like the exasperated sound you make when leaning down to pick up something that's fallen under the table.

FluffyBathTowel Mon 01-May-17 14:57:39

Margo is my favourite but spelt Margot rather than Margo. Not keen on Agnes.

peripericardium Mon 01-May-17 14:59:27

Effie was the troubled little sister in Skins I think.

FeedTheSharkAndItWillBite Mon 01-May-17 15:01:04

I don't like Effie Elizabeth.

But Euphemia Elizabeth could be really cool smile I also like Eppie Elizabeth...

Margot (with a silent T) is really nice and goes very well with Elizabeth.

ohgoshIdontknow Mon 01-May-17 15:02:44

Agnes is much prettier than the other two. I don't like Margot, however you spell it. And Effie sounds a bit made up.

Astro55 Mon 01-May-17 15:03:03

She's also a character in the Hunger Games

Not sure why it's popular but I know 3 recent babies

Agnes is OK -

Rockaby Mon 01-May-17 15:39:53

I love Agnes and Margo! Can't choose between them.

I don't like Effie as it just makes me think of someone who says "that effing thing" instead of "that fucking thing"! I find that a bit off putting I'd also rather people just swore or said "that darn thing" or something

HeyCat Mon 01-May-17 15:43:58

Effie is a nickname for Elizabeth, so I don't think you can use both!

Margo is a valid alternative spelling, but a lot of people will think that's wrong and add a t, which will just be annoying/inconvenient for your daughter.

Tbh I really don't like Agnes though so not a fan of any of your options!

pipilangstrumpf Mon 01-May-17 16:15:07

Margo and Effie are lovely

I don't like Margot, pronounced Mar-gott at all.

MissTakesOurMaid Mon 01-May-17 16:19:30

Agnes and Margo are the names of the sisters in the kids film despicable me. Love Margo though. Like Effie but it seems too cutesy for an adult. Ethel?

junebirthdaygirl Mon 01-May-17 16:27:49

Una is Irish for Agnes. Pronouced oona. Lovely name. Margo or Marvot are both pronounced the same. But l prefer it with t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now