Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to decide on boys names

(32 Posts)
babyglow Thu 27-Apr-17 16:26:14

Hi all,

About to give birth to my second son and really struggling to settle on a name. Eldest is called Tobias (Toby for short). Husband quite keen on Jolyon but I think it might be a bit out there!

Thomas, Alexander and Nicholas all on the cards but I'm not sure if I like the abbreviations for these names (Tom, Alex, Nick) with Toby. Brain is just stuck in a pregnancy fog, can't think clearly.

Any inspiration much appreciated.

Babybell7 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:41:01

I'm in a similar situation, boys names are difficult.

I like all of your names, but especially Alexander. It's one of names we are considering, we like the nickname Xander better than Alex, I don't know whether you've considered that?
Thomas is a lovely name, but I like sibling names to have their own letter, but that may just be a quirk of mine. And he will almost definitely be Tom, I can't think of any other nickname for Thomas.
Other nicknames for Nicholas - Cole, Nico?

GaladrielsRing Thu 27-Apr-17 16:43:19

My sister had Thomas, Tobias and Alexander on her list. She called her son Lucas.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:46:09

Agree with pp, Xander and Nico are great abbreviations.

I'm personally not keen on Jolyon.

Suggestions:

Jonathan-Jonty/Johnny
Tristan
Dominic
William

pipilangstrumpf Thu 27-Apr-17 16:50:03

I like Jolyon. Classic, easy to say/spell and interesting. Tom, Alex and Nick are quite dull in comparison

QuietNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 17:03:32

Love it!!

QuietNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 17:04:07

Jolyon, I mean. blush

MollyHuaCha Thu 27-Apr-17 17:10:56

Jolyon - love it. (He'll be called Joe)

NameChange30 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:13:42

I love the name Toby, it was in my top three.

I don't like Jolyon and I also think it sounds a bit rhyme-y with Toby!

How about:
Max
Ben
Leo
Ezra
Reuben

daimbar Thu 27-Apr-17 17:32:38

Elijah or Sebastian both go nicely with Tobias and could be shortened to Eli or Seb

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 27-Apr-17 17:44:09

I like Jolyon. Classic, easy to say/spell

Well, I feel silly cos I have never known how to say it blush. Always assumed it was like Jolly-on, but another PP said it's rhymey with Toby, so JOE-leon? Jolian, like Julian with an O? Jol-yon, even emphasis?

Have never met anyone with this name but my brain automatically puts it in the StJohn, tweed category.

I think Nicholas is a perfect name, can't use it myself though!

MerlinsBeard87 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:45:29

I love Jolyon, it makes me think of the Forsyte Saga. Nickname Jolly

Theveryhungrybutterfly Thu 27-Apr-17 17:51:57

Sorry to lower the tone but isn't Joly-on slang for hard-on? Either way, no one will be able to pronounce it so I'd steer clear! Otherwise I think Lucas, Alex and Nico go well with Toby

NameChange30 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:53:43

Forgot Elijah, like that too and it goes well with Toby

Jooni Thu 27-Apr-17 17:54:28

How about Nikolai/Nicolai instead of Nicholas? Nn Niko/Nico or Kolya (which is the Russian diminutive).

I'm not crazy about Jolyon, it feels a bit stereotypically posh. Prefer Julian or maybe Jowan/Jovan or Jacoby?

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 27-Apr-17 18:20:44

Now I'm seeing on YouTube it's pronounced Joe-Lion! Not seeing how it's rhymey with Toby confused

NameChange30 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:24:32

I always thought it was pronounced Joe-Lee-On. But happy to be corrected if that's not how it's pronounced.

I also wondered if he might be called Joe-Lee (which does rhyme with Toby) or Jolly (which sounds silly)...

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 27-Apr-17 18:26:31

Ah yes, Joe-lee does rhyme with Toby. Ooh, that takes me onto Joel, which I think is a fabulous name and goes very well with Toby, OP! Another one I can't use myself, bah!

Thatextrainch Thu 27-Apr-17 18:27:01

William
Oliver
Finley
Rufus
Raymond
Douglas

purplepaisley Thu 27-Apr-17 18:39:41

I always thought it was pronounced Joll-yon, to sort of rhyme with onion! Never met one in real life, so don't think I've heard it out loud.

How about

Zachary (Zac)
Felix
Rufus
Hugo
Gabriel
Rafe / Ralph

Rockaby Thu 27-Apr-17 19:31:03

How about Benedict with nn options Ned or Ben?

babyglow Fri 28-Apr-17 12:58:20

Wow, loads of good suggestions, thanks so much!

Also, general confirmation of my concerns about Jolyon wink

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 28-Apr-17 13:14:27

But how IS it pronounced OP??? Don't leave me hanging!!

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 28-Apr-17 13:24:54

Jasper
Felix
Sylvester
Daniel
Jacob

Logolphin Fri 28-Apr-17 14:05:00

Hugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now