Talk

Advanced search

Dominic (Nico)?

(29 Posts)
SabsMatthews Thu 27-Apr-17 15:05:33

Thoughts on Dominic, but with the NN Nico? Can Nico only be for Nicholas?

DoItTooJulia Thu 27-Apr-17 15:07:52

I like Nico. Not so keen on Dominic though-Dom is the default nn I'd say.

Can you just use Nico?

QuietNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 15:12:46

I know a Nico who is actually named "Nico".

pipilangstrumpf Thu 27-Apr-17 15:13:46

I like Dominic.

Nico is a completely different name imo and I would assume short for Nicholas.

I prefer Dominic.

befuddledgardener Thu 27-Apr-17 15:16:22

Adore Dominic

ShotsFired Thu 27-Apr-17 15:21:07

You won't get people to call him Nico, it's too far off from Dominic (and as pp say, a name in its own right).

It'll be Dom (which is grim), if not something entirely unrelated, because nicknames evolve, they aren't bestowed or forced.

I know someone called James who is called Bunty (for god knows what long-forgotten reason); another girl who gets called Shaggy (on account of her hair).

QuietNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 15:24:08

Domenico NN Nico would kind of work, I guess?

However, I personally really dislike the nn Dom and I don't really like Nicholas either (btw, I think it's pretty you may get "Nick" instead of Nico if you name the LO Nicholas...)

SabsMatthews Thu 27-Apr-17 15:29:37

Of course I could get him to be called Nico! I'd have him called by that and it being his name at school, etc. Just like my other son's name.

littledinaco Thu 27-Apr-17 15:32:56

Dominic and Nico are really different types of name. If you love Nico I would just go for that (gorgeous name).
If you go for Dominic then make sure you're happy with Dom as nickname as you don't always get control of nicknames.
I would think it was a bit odd if I met a Dominic called Nico.

DownWithThisSortaThing Thu 27-Apr-17 15:35:16

Nico's lovely on its own.
Don't like Dominic much

QuietNameChange Thu 27-Apr-17 15:37:26

sabs

Ok. Imo it's simply sod's law that a child will end up liking a nickname the parent happens to dislike (for example Dominic -> Nick instead of Nico...) But if you're this confident about it then that's great and there's no reason to not call the LO Dominic.

PatriciaHolm Thu 27-Apr-17 15:40:30

Nicodemus? :-)

Salumeria Thu 27-Apr-17 15:46:28

I think it's your child, you can call them what you want, and you can choose whatever shortening you want for their name.

If you want to put Domenic on the birth certificate but call your child Nico, that is totally up to you, there are no rules about it (in this country at least).

Most people when introduced to an actual person and told "This is Domenic, but we call him Nico." will call him either Nico or Domenic themselves, and won't say "Sorry, Nico just isn't acceptable as a shortening, so I hope you'll understand that I'm going to call him Dom."

Yes, he may choose to be Dom, or in fact any other random name that you can't predict with friends at some point in the future, but he can always be Nico to you if you want, and that's fine.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 27-Apr-17 15:47:43

I think Nico, can definitely be used as a nick name for Dominic.
Go for it OP.😀

Minty82 Thu 27-Apr-17 15:52:55

Love Dominic, and think Nico makes total sense as a diminutive!

Wheresthattomoibabber Thu 27-Apr-17 15:53:53

Are you saying Nick-oh or Neek-oh?

pipilangstrumpf Thu 27-Apr-17 16:13:41

I would think Nick-o as that's the ending of Dominic, but I still think that Dom is a much more natural shortening if it gets shortened at all.

BendydickCuminsnatch Thu 27-Apr-17 17:46:07

Course you can get people to use the shortening you'd prefer! I've done it myself. V different to a nickname, which I agree does come about naturally.

MinnowAndTheBear Thu 27-Apr-17 17:50:23

I know a boy called Dominic, nn Nicky. Parents wish they'd just gone with Nicky in the first place.

littledinaco Thu 27-Apr-17 18:24:51

I struggled to get the shortening I preferred for one of my DC, I gave up after a bit-I used one shortening and some people continued to use another, maybe I should have been more persistent!
I supose though if you introduced as Nico and didn't mention Dominic, that's what people would use.

EmmaWoodlouse Thu 27-Apr-17 18:26:51

I know of a Dominic who gets called Nico - I think he's about 18. It's not the most obvious short form but I think if you use it people will follow, same as if you call an Elizabeth Beth, not Liz!

SuperBeagle Thu 27-Apr-17 20:39:28

I don't like Dominic and he'll get Don for short. That's inevitable.

I like Nico but would assume it's either a standalone name or short for Nicolas.

Maggie2828 Thu 27-Apr-17 22:07:48

I think Nico makes perfect sense as a nn for Dominic, and both are nice names. Go for it!

Loyly Thu 27-Apr-17 22:10:27

Nico is lovely. I really dislike Dominic.

Absy Thu 27-Apr-17 22:12:18

DS' nickname is not the usual one for his name, and we haven't had issues so far (though his full name is unusual so not everyone would know the "proper" nickname). We just introduce him saying "this is frank but he's known as Nicky" (not the real names obvs).

FWIW I like Dominic and Nico as a NN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now