Talk

Advanced search

Stubborn OHs!

(3 Posts)
Lemondrop09 Wed 26-Apr-17 14:19:11

I've been thinking about names since before we even started trying for a baby, so this has been churning around in my mind for a good 18 months.

First DH wouldn't discuss names when TTC because there was no point when the baby was hypothetical

Now I'm pregnant, DH didn't want to waste time thinking of boy and girl names so said he would think about it after we found out the sex.

Now we know the gender, he's still dragging his feet and saying we have loads of time and I'm rushing him. He did finally come up with a short list, under sufference, but hasn't raised the matter again.

I'm trying really hard to respect his position and not push him, but I'm getting impatient now. I'm struggling to understand why he's so resistant on the issue when he's happy about the baby and this is one of the few things we can do now.

I agree that we do have months to decide, further we are unlikely to settle on a name until we've seen the baby to see if it "suits". But I'd like to be working towards an agreed shortlist.

The problem I have is, until recently, I had no idea what type of names he even liked and was worried we'd struggle to agree. Further, I've reached a point where I've almost set my heart on a particular name and I'm going to find it very hard to give it up if DH doesn't like it. All the while he stalls, this name becomes more set in my mind.

I don't want to push him, I want this to be a happy thing to discuss together, but I can also foresee problems arising from our very different approaches.

Anyone else having this problem?

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Wed 26-Apr-17 14:44:24

Not really. Simply because DH gives our DC his last name (already double barelled) so I get to give them their first names (but he is allowed to veto).

We had this talk when we got married and he really wanted me to take his name... Idk, it worked for DD and it's what we're doing for DC2 as well.

Kazzawazza69 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:47:39

Mine DH is similar. He wouldn't discuss names for ages. He came up with a girls name quite early on (we don't know what we're having) which I didn't say no to and he took that as we had decided and didn't need to come up with any other names! Luckily this name has grown on me and now is pretty much final. He has asked if 'we' have decided on names yet a couple of times recently but has never written his own list and only suggests stupid names like footballers surnames! Drives me crazy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now