Talk

Advanced search

Final 2...

(60 Posts)
woodywoody Tue 25-Apr-17 19:17:51

Pretty sure these are my final 2 choices

Kitty
Violet

Which one and why? i dont want there to be multiple people in her class / friend group with this name so thats why im swayed towards Kitty as violet is climbing. All opinions welcomesmile

Thatextrainch Tue 25-Apr-17 19:19:31

Kitty is fine if nn for Katherine otherwise its not a name I'd want as a 21 year old.

Violet is one of my favourite ever names though

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 25-Apr-17 19:26:45

Kitty if it's a nickname. If it's a stand alone name then I'll go for Violet

Mrsknackered Tue 25-Apr-17 19:26:52

I looove Violet.
I think I like Kitty but never quite sure. I know 2 lovely teenage Kitty's though so I have positive view of it.

bridgetreilly Tue 25-Apr-17 19:29:46

Violet.

MollyHuaCha Tue 25-Apr-17 19:34:34

Violet. smile
Kitty is a cute name for someone under the age of nine, but it's not a serious name for a grown woman. If you choose Kitty, I'd suggest making the real name Katherine or Katrina with nn of Kitty.

GirlcalledJames Tue 25-Apr-17 19:40:47

Kitty

PunkAssMoFo Tue 25-Apr-17 19:51:25

Violet. It's beautiful for a child or adult.

Kitty is cutesy and more of a nickname

woodywoody Tue 25-Apr-17 19:52:06

say i put a fuller name on the birth certificate but only use if she wants when older, but we all call her Kitty...do you like the name? or do you still prefer Violet?

NewStateswoman Tue 25-Apr-17 19:54:20

I prefer Kitty if she has the option of using something more grown-up when she's older.

Not keen on Violet, sorry.

beautiebyqueenie Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:17

I like both but I know a 2 year old violet and she's a hideous child. Kitty is really sweet though x

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:27

I love Kitty.

LauraPalmersBodybag Tue 25-Apr-17 19:59:46

Kitty.

Violet is a lovely name but I think Kitty is a little less popular right now. Also I just think it's great. No need for a longer version unless you want it. I know a very interesting, mature and pretty damn important woman called Kitty - I don't think it's too cutesy (especially in a world full of Ella's/Ava's/Amelie's etc).

woodywoody Tue 25-Apr-17 20:39:34

thats what i think. Poppy for example is quite a cutesy name and that doesnt have a longer version, im sure there are lots of older Poppy's hehe

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Apr-17 20:59:13

I quite like Kitty as a nickname for Katherine. It's cute on a toddler. I don't like cutesy names, so I'd want a more classic name on the birth certificate.

I do like Violet too, and haven't met any so I don't know how popular it is.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 25-Apr-17 21:05:24

As the only Kitty I know is a forty something CEO of a successful company I'm not inclined to think of it as cutesy at all.
I always think of the Just William character when I hear the name Violet.

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 25-Apr-17 21:06:28

Kitty is my daughter's nickname. It has no relation whatsoever to her actual given name but it naturally evolved and we call her Kitty A LOT. I would never have considered it when I was expecting my DD but I do love it as a name in its own right now. But I agree she (your DD) would need a more mature sounding name on BC so she has another option when she's older.

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 25-Apr-17 21:08:10

I know quite a few Violets under the age of 5!

SuperBeagle Tue 25-Apr-17 21:14:27

Violet.

I would hate to be called Kitty.

LucieLucie Tue 25-Apr-17 21:18:14

Kitty is just asking for a miserable childhood full of cruel name calling at school. Don't inflict that on your child op. Kids have enough to contend with.

Puss, puss... meow kitty kitty confused

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 25-Apr-17 21:24:14

Are you having/do you have a middle name already? I think Katherine Violet has a nice ring to it.

Sophronia Tue 25-Apr-17 21:39:55

Kitty. It was my great gran's name, born in 1912. She was a very strong woman.

Rockaby Tue 25-Apr-17 21:40:07

Violet. I think it's elegant and pretty.

I love Catherine with nn Kitty, but find Kitty a bit niche as a stand alone name and think there's a chance she wouldn't suit it. I mean, you never know before they're born do you? And it's quite a specific type of name I think. I, for example, would make a dreadful Kitty, but would make a decent Kate. That said, she could have Kit maybe, if she turned out not to be a Kitty type.

Lemondrop09 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:45:42

Kitty.

Violet is nice but definitely increasing in popularity and becoming quite "in". I can imagine it being the next Ava

LauraPalmersBodybag Tue 25-Apr-17 21:48:40

I honestly wouldn't worry about playground stuff unless you're intending on giving your child a really far our name. Kids are little shits sometimes - if it's not a name it's glasses, hair colour, clothes, personality quirks... I hardly think the name Kitty is going to haunt her through school.

Op, you're totally right re: Poppy lovely name but quite cutesy, there's obviously a trend for that type of name at the moment.

I'm sure all of these young girls will grow into competent woman without having to change their names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now