Talk

Advanced search

How do you pronounce Gobnait?

(20 Posts)
Thatextrainch Tue 25-Apr-17 19:12:22

I'm fairly familiar with Irish name pronunciations but this one has stumped me. A quick Google suggests 'Gob-nit' but is it really that simple as it's fairly English phonetic.

I'm meeting a Gobnait tomorrow and don't want to make a twat of myself.

villainousbroodmare Tue 25-Apr-17 19:14:45

GUBnit. Definitively. Not a stylish moniker, is it?

3littlebadgers Tue 25-Apr-17 19:16:24

Yes definitely Gubnit I know one.

Thatextrainch Tue 25-Apr-17 19:16:51

Thanks, yes, not the most beautiful of Irish names.

highinthesky Tue 25-Apr-17 19:20:47

Just relieved to find you're not considering naming a baby this!

cavabienmerci Tue 25-Apr-17 19:30:29

An in-law of mine, who grew up in the Gaeltacht in rural Donegal, has informed me that Gobnait is Gaelic for Deborah (my name). It is pronounced Gobnitch to my Northern Irish ears, so I think not really a soft or lyrical name. However, his lovely mum who speaks Gaelic , thinks it IS an absolutely lovely, soft, lyrical name if you are a native Gaelic speaker. She is a very kind person though and knows me so may be very diplomatic....

twinjocks Tue 25-Apr-17 19:33:16

I would have always known it as 'Gob-nit' - hideous name (apologies to any lovely Gobnaits out there) - up there with Concepta and Assumpta!!

pnguin Tue 25-Apr-17 19:40:56

Errrr gob-nate? That's a cracker.

MaudGonneMad Tue 25-Apr-17 19:41:38

I quite like it! A grand Wesht Cork name.

highinthesky Tue 25-Apr-17 19:50:09

I like Assumpta! It sounds like a girl that would never get into trouble outside wedlock.

Concepta on the other hand, well thats just asking for it grin

BuckinghamLass Tue 25-Apr-17 19:54:04

I quite like it!

Thank goodness I'm done with babies x imagine the slaughter if I'd floated Gobnait here. Look at the pasting Duane got.

florascotianew Tue 25-Apr-17 20:00:27

In Scottish Gaelic, the 'ait'/'aid' ending would be a very soft 'nidge' sound, amost 'nishdt'. So it's not harsh, really, though 'Gob'/'Gov/Gonn' is not perhaps the most pleasing. Gobnait= Gobvnisht/ Gonnishdt is not too bad.
I know a v nice young person named Seonaid = Shonn-idgsh/Janet, and her name looks very plain written down but sounds quite pretty if said correctly.

In Irish mythology, Gobnait was the wife of the blacksmith god, Gabhan (pronounced Gowan).

IhatchedaSnorlax Tue 25-Apr-17 20:28:32

I'm Irish & have never heard this name before blush. I'm not keen on it but I do love Assumpta as well as Attracta & Blanaid.

buttercup54321 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:33:39

what a horrendous name!!!

NotSoHankyPanky Tue 25-Apr-17 20:38:52

Gob nit. Know a few in West Cork. Awful name. Youngest I know would be 40.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 25-Apr-17 20:45:59

I always wanted to be called Assumpta.
Somehow my Presbyterian parents didn't agree

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Apr-17 20:49:44

The ones I've come across pronounce it GUBnet. The stress is on the first syllable, and the second syllable is very soft.

With apologies to any Gobnaits around, I think it's hideous.

Chiliprepper Wed 26-Apr-17 12:55:52

Not very seasonal but always reminds of this song m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbejNNCTr7k

Some pronounciation clues in there too OP grin

FeedTheSharkAndItWIllBite Wed 26-Apr-17 13:55:37

I always wanted to be called Assumpta.
Somehow my Presbyterian parents didn't agree

Aww! I wanted to be called Vera. OR something with a hyphen... No, my parents didn't agree either. Although, Assumpta is pretty. And my Italian grandmother would be over the moon ;)... Although, I think I prefer Assunta.

Blossomdeary Wed 26-Apr-17 14:00:56

Hideous indeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now